Cdn Dio - Polini Contessa BBK build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

DeanP
Spree
Spree

Re: Cdn Dio - Polini Contessa BBK build

Post by DeanP »

Ok I got the problem solved. I installed the red clutch springs and I was able to launch better but I still had flutter from 1/4 to 1/2 so I dropped my needle again. It's now at the last ring. Performs excellent! I took it out on a wot run and got to 57mph. I have a 105mj installed and my temp was only 349f.

Should I drop the main jet one more time?
Will this affect my needle position?
Should I be concerned about being on the last clip position?

My Pj is a 34 and I have the mixture screw turned out about 3/4 turn out. Best running position, though 1 turn out doesn't really affect the idle as I tried both.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I'd keep things the way they are for a bit. Try some long pulls up hills. If it runs good then run it for a bit. Good to hear.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Rip_City_Spree wrote:Try some long pulls up hills. If it runs good then run it for a bit.
The part about "long pulls up hills" made me burst out laughing! The only hills around here are made by gophers! Sadly, the only real hills are only about 1/3mile long.
Anyways, good advice and I'll keep ripping around to see how things go.

I really have to buy a new rear shock as this thing is leaking fluid and bounces around terribly!

Looking fwd to hear how your works out Rip City!
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

You really want your air fuel screw to be 1 1/4- 1 3/4 turns. Under 1 turn out seems wrong to me. Are you really set at 3/4?
Needle clip position at the very top or bottom doesn't hurt you.
And changing your main jet will cause you to have to change the clip position most likely. The clip kind of acts as an "in between jet" or "fine tuner" as you use it to richin or lean out your mixture without actually changing jets.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Thanks I'm in the same boat with the shock. Hit a bump so hard I actually compressed my plug wire and bent the end of my plug. And be thankfull about the hills. I deal with more hills than flats. Glad yours is ripping. Mine will get there. I'm persistent
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

curtis966 wrote:You really want your air fuel screw to be 1 1/4- 1 3/4 turns. Under 1 turn out seems wrong to me. Are you really set at 3/4?
Needle clip position at the very top or bottom doesn't hurt you.
And changing your main jet will cause you to have to change the clip position most likely. The clip kind of acts as an "in between jet" or "fine tuner" as you use it to richin or lean out your mixture without actually changing jets.
Yup at 3/4 turns out. I took my screwdriver with me when I was out and tuned it for idle /air mixture.
Should I be concerned?
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

Not sure to tell you the truth. I would think you have an air leak to be running it turned in so far. Have you tested for air leaks? Maybe someone else will be able to chime in on this as Ive never run into that problem.

Have you done any plug chops?
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Sounds like you need to go up on the pilot jet 1 if you can have a great idle at 3/ 4 turn out. How does it idle coming off of the throttle coming to a stop?
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

so when you screw in your idle screw on your carb does the idle get higher or drop? if its leaning out by screwing it in and your needle is leaned out as far as you can it would seem to me that your jets are rich and your having to compensate for that by leaning your needle. I just dont know if your idle screw leans going in or screwing out. I just reread your thread and didnt see which way it was. 1man had a good question about how it idles back down to a stop. is there any surging at idle? just my thoughts
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

1man8scoots wrote:Sounds like you need to go up on the pilot jet 1 if you can have a great idle at 3/ 4 turn out. How does it idle coming off of the throttle coming to a stop?
It idles down fine; not suddenly nor hanging. Once the clutch speed disengages, it drops nicely down.
Rip_City_Spree wrote:so when you screw in your idle screw on your carb does the idle get higher or drop? if its leaning out by screwing it in and your needle is leaned out as far as you can it would seem to me that your jets are rich and your having to compensate for that by leaning your needle. I just dont know if your idle screw leans going in or screwing out. I just reread your thread and didnt see which way it was. 1man had a good question about how it idles back down to a stop. is there any surging at idle? just my thoughts
With the 34Pj, when I screw it in, it speeds up, but more than 3/4 in, it stalls.
With the 36Pj,I adjusted the airscrew which I noted that I could turn it out more than 3 turns and it didn't really increase too much in rpm, maybe 200rpm, but closing it, it would cough and sputter.

I'll swap out the 34Pj with a 36Pj and report back on my findings.
Thanks!
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

On the pwk style carbs screwing in the mix screw richens your pilot circuit.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

1man8scoots wrote:On the pwk style carbs screwing in the mix screw richens your pilot circuit.
I have a Polini cp23. Is it the same?
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

So I took it out tonight and got it warmed up, then I adjusted my air screw. Finally found the sweet spot; about 1 1/2 turns out. So maybe the other night I wasn't waiting long enough between adjustments.

For now it's working fine and maybe in week it may need adjusting.
Question about my variator; I marked it with a felt pen from inner to outer. I then rode it wot and the last 1/2" was unscathed. Is this a problem?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Ah, the three-pointed Mercedes-Benz method of variator markings. I didn't take the time to read all the way down your thread, but in general the belt won't make it to the rim of the drive pulley until you go Wide Open for a little bit. If you ran full-throttle and the belt didn't erase your marks to the edge, your gears are too tall for the power produced. The belt is gripped most firmly at full displacement - all the way to the rim of the drive face and all the way to center on the stern pulley. Running somewhere in the middle introduces greater slippage - and loss of potential speed. You can put more of your specs in the signature to give a better idea how it could be improved. I like 9:1s in the Contesta myself.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

My specs:
Polini Contessa
Polini CP23 carb 105Mj, 34Pj, needle at top notch
Polini air filter
Naraku intake manifold
Polini variator with 33grams of rollers
stock clutch with red Malossi springs(5-7K rpm engagement)
PG Long exhaust
BR8HS spark plug
9.8:1 gears

Thats it for now...
Does this help Wheelman-111?