Cdn Dio - Polini Contessa BBK build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

dylan_46
BMX
BMX

Re: Cdn Dio - Polini Contessa BBK build

Post by dylan_46 »

for your little guy :ndance:
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

I think I am really digging the Canadian plastic...at least the side and the back.. But at the same time as I am looking at my '94 US model, I think I am a softy for the rounded, smoother front end on the US model... Can't decide....either way, that is a nice looking scoot!
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

DeanP wrote:A few more...

I like the orange. What manifold is that? Doesn't look quite like the one G9 set me up with. I haven't had any problems with my carb coming loose. I did replace the clamp with s "better" one from the auto parts though. The clamp that came with my manifold was junk.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

dylan_46 wrote:your bike could turn to a super dio like this
I know space is limited, but IMO that radiator looks ridiculous lol
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
dylan_46
BMX
BMX

Post by dylan_46 »

johnny248 wrote:
dylan_46 wrote: I know space is limited, but IMO that radiator looks ridiculous lol
like a Transformer. lol :lol:
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

johnny248 wrote:
DeanP wrote:A few more...

I like the orange. What manifold is that? Doesn't look quite like the one G9 set me up with. I haven't had any problems with my carb coming loose. I did replace the clamp with s "better" one from the auto parts though. The clamp that came with my manifold was junk.
My manifold is the Naraku and I have a special intake from G9.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

dylan_46 wrote:Image
for your little guy :ndance:
I'm looking to get one of those wings...
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

So tonight I finally had a chance to take her out with the 105mj, 36pj and 33 gram rollers. I also installed a BR8HS spark plug. I took it out and when it was cold, it performed fine and WOT, it only went to 325f. So the colder plug was definitely helpful. I then brought it home and installed the 34pj to try to get rid of the slow speed sputter. It didn't fix it completely, but it helped a bit. It only happens once it is warmed up thoroughly (275-310f), so I'm wondering what could be the cause? Anyone have any ideas? It appears that the clutch is engaging at a lower rpm when it warms up; could this be the cause? Do clutches really engage differently once they get warmer??
HELP me out if you can. :worship:
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Can you describe that slow speed sputter a little bit more? What throttle position are you feeling this? Have yoy marked your throttle ? I just uses a sharpie on my gri0 and a mark on the plastic next to it at 1/4 increments to monitor what it is doing at each position.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

So for about the first 1/2 mile, I have two stops. The scoot engages great and doesn't have the low speed sputter. Then I proceed for about a mile to the next stop; this is where it starts to sputter until the rpm rises to about 6000rpm and the temp is at running temp (275-310f) I have to crank the throttle from 1/4 to 1/2 to get it up to 6000ish rpm. Once I start rolling, any throttle position is good, it's basically just the starting off where the problem lies and onlty once it is warmed up thoroughly.
That is why I think it has to do with the clutch engaging too low once it gets warmed up. I do have my throttle marked as to 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4.
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

You may have already posted this, but where is your clutch set for engagement? It should be high enough that the engine starts to get into its power band around 5kish . If it is too low, it's like trying to start from a stop in 2nd gear or something like that. I guess it's possible they things are heating up and expanding a little bit causing it to engage early?

But I would suspect more of a pilot jet issue running too rich?
Last edited by johnny248 on Tue May 26, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

What carb are you running? Sounds like to rich of a pilot jet. The first 1/4 throttle is all pilot. After she's warmed up does your idle rpm lower at all?
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Running a Polini CP23 with a 34Pj. Funny, but after I start rolling, the 1/4 to 1/2 is responsive. Its only when I first am trying to get going after a full stop at warmed up temp.
I have the blue clutch springs installed and in accordance with the chart (springs 29 9605), it could/should engage from 4-6k rpm. I could install the red springs (engages between 5-7k rpm) to see if things change...
Attachments
clutch springs.jpeg
clutch springs.jpeg (115.88 KiB) Viewed 8905 times
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

Drop a pilot jet and reset your idle and see where that get you. Pilot jet is pretty much done by 1/4 throttle possibly adjust your needle clip as well if the pilot doesn't do the trick. And if 1/4 throttle to WOT is good then the rest of our settings should be good. Here is a great tunning chart. Image
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

ok, thanks. I'll drop to a 32Pj and see how that works tonight. Then I'll try the needle clip; which way do I want to go? I have it moved up one notch already.

BTW: throttle response, after I get going, is great throughout the whole range: 1/8 to WOT.