2001 Honda Elite Newbs 1st Scooter

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

JonCon1337
Noob
Noob

2001 Honda Elite Newbs 1st Scooter

Post by JonCon1337 »

Hi, new member here and new to scooter community. I have recently acquired a, in great condition, 2001 Honda Elite S with 600 miles for $650.
The scooter, as advertised, had all the restriction in place. First off I removed the variator limiting ring. While doing this it was revieled that the scoots trans, had in fact, been opened before. This could be see by the orange "gasket in a tube" on the front cover (the rear still has a rubber gasket.) Don't really think this effects anything, just proof that things may have been messed with more that advertised.
After removal, I did notice a boost in performance as seems to be described here in the forums.
Upon further inspection I found (I believe) the air filter had been removed, which seems most likely because if the was pulled through the carb it wouldn't kick over so (SOO) easy.
Now I am waiting on a replacement air filter (from noiseguy's ebay.) In the mean time I have ordered #80, #85, and #88 jets planing to do a full derestriction ie: exhaust washer, airbox, re-jet, and wired open oil pump w/ light pre-mix.
Top speed isn't the main goal for me. I would like to be able go up a decently angled hill without slowing down tremendously.
I was thinking maybe http://scooterpartsco.com/honda-scooter ... lite-50-2t
Or just http://www.amazon.com/Prima-Roller-Weig ... 5AYH14Z7AC and a different ramp plate.
Any suggestions, corrections, or encouragement welcome.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 2001 Honda Elite Newbs 1st Scooter

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

hit up Graphite9 at scooterswapshop.com He's got all you parts you need. first thing I did was get a new variator and gears and was cruising 45 easy. Welcome to the addiction.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
JonCon1337
Noob
Noob

Post by JonCon1337 »

Thanks man. Ya I've been checking out his shop. Seems to have everything one might need.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Yes sir and he's a small shop and great guy
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
JonCon1337
Noob
Noob

Post by JonCon1337 »

Today I managed to get a little more done on the scoot. I removed the carb and have it soaking in some Seafoam. Everything looked good inside just figured would be a good idea while I had it apart. The exhaust is off and ready to have the washer drilled out, I just need the get the right stepper drill bit. I received the new jets when I got home today and will put the 80 in first to see how it does after derestriction. I also plan on replacing most of the lines with clear, as they are 14+ years old and seem a bit brittle.
JonCon1337
Noob
Noob

Post by JonCon1337 »

Today I managed to finish removing the restrictions put on my Elite S, and HOLY SMOKES this is a completely different bike. In the process of bleeding the air out of the oil pump I found that the pump seems to have seized. After riding it a bit with pre-mix in the tank, and oil line off to the side the best it did was a drop or two. I guess I'm going to just run with the pre-mix for now on, this being easier than buying and installing an upgraded oil pump and throttle cable. My question is where does one get a block off plate for the pump, and should I plug the oil inlet of the carb? I have also noticed a issue with the throttle. When holding it at about 1/4 turn from WOT the engine will bog and sometimes cut off. I'm guessing this my have to do with the air/fuel mix screw on the carb. I will be messing with this next time I get to it.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Graphite9 sells the oil pump plugs. And wait till you start upgrading things and get BBK!
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

Don't use one shop, I use at least 30 shops worldwide and I know what works...
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
JonCon1337
Noob
Noob

Post by JonCon1337 »

After years, looks like I am finally modifying past de-resriction.
I recently installed a malossi ruckus variator and have other goodies going on soon. I have a malossi cast kit, 1500rpm clutch and contra springs. All I am waiting on is jets for the stock carb.

Questions:
Start with a 92 and go down as needed?
Will it be ok with stock pilot jet? Or should I attempt to drill it out?
http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php/Ca ... ix_at_idle
Would putting in the springs before the bbk be ok? Or just all at once?
Any suggestions?

Gears and pipe next
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Im not familiar with the Malossi cast. I know that tuning will be a bear with the stock carb not having a pilot to play with. Drilling it is risky since you cant go backwards and you never know when you’ll need a good stock carb to grab off the shelf. Wheelman played with the Malossi’s a bunch. He is a wealth of knowledge for what works…and what doesnt.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
JonCon1337
Noob
Noob

Post by JonCon1337 »

Thanks for the info. Reaching out to him for advice.
JonCon1337
Noob
Noob

Post by JonCon1337 »

Another idea for the pilot jet is I could buy something like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Spree-NQ ... SwWxNYw5zb and drill it out saving the original for going back later. Any reason this is a bad idea, and what size ya'll think would get me close?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Install the bigger jug and try to dial it in with just swapping main jets. Before you go drilling anything, you may not need to. The Polini sport bore can be ran fine with the stock carb but not the race bore. If I were more familiar with the Malossi cast Id be able to answer your question. You can try calling ScooterSwapShop and get some tech advice over the phone. Those guys know every bore and what they can handle.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
motormike

Post by motormike »

JonCon1337 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:04 am Top speed isn't the main goal for me. I would like to be able go up a decently angled hill without slowing down tremendously.
Your goal is not easy with 50cc's.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
JonCon1337
Noob
Noob

Post by JonCon1337 »

I agree. Hence the 72cc malossi kit. Getting gears next.