Wheel options for a 96' Elite SR?

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Ambientek
BMX
BMX

Wheel options for a 96' Elite SR?

Post by Ambientek »

Hi guys heres a picture of my scooter...

http://i.imgur.com/L7gP51z.jpg

Traded a tablet that I had bought over the winter that I wasn't using. It was my best friends fathers he had passed away recently and they were trying to clear some stuff out.

Only thing I've done so far besides reassemble the body panels, carb and breather assembly is install a Koso variator. I may do a 60cc BBK 9:1 gear im pretty light atm i could maybe go a little faster :ndance:

The first thing that needs repair are the wheels. Both the front and rear wheels are warped not sure how this happened. I have read metropolitan wheels work and NCY makes a metro wheel that id assumed would work. Just curious if there where any other options... Also brakes will probably soon follow albiet due to the wheels being warped as well.

Is there any chance 10" x 2.5" CRF 50 Spokes will work? I really wouldnt mind a set of spoke wheels.
Open comments pertaining to my scooter are entertained and promoted by me.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Wheel options for a 96' Elite SR?

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Met rims work and will be a good investment imo can run tubeless tires. Rims and tires and brakes can get expensive fast when you start looking at trying mods for disc brakes and whatnot. I'd get a good base and spend money elsewhere that it needs it to make a fun fast reliable bike. Then if you wanna spend the money on other rims and stuff you know the rest of the bike is solid. Nice rims an brakes don't do anything for ya if you can't keep the bike in good working order.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Ambientek
BMX
BMX

Post by Ambientek »

Thanks for the compliments and the feedback! I guess i'll be on the hunt for at least a good straight rear metro rim until I can afford that brake upgrade. Front is not as warped as the rear is wearing the tire quickly can imagine this is just causing undue friction in bearing as well. It's too bad 10" Honda dirt bike spokes wont work. XD oh well.

...but theoretically if im looking for a wheel Id need a 2.5" x 10" wheel with 15mm axle and what size drum? Assuming the first bit was correct and I have all of the dimensions.

Thanks
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Max diameter 95mm. Real issue is the spline count. Take the wheel off and count the spline.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Ambientek wrote: Front is not as warped as the rear is wearing the tire quickly can imagine this is just causing undue friction in bearing as well.
If the frame or front forks or the motor hanger is bent, or all of these, the new wheels will not help much.
Maybe you could look at the alignment of the back to front wheels up on a low table to assess any possible issues that are not "wheel" related. I have seen many motor hangers twisted and cause a problem such as you have described. Just say'in.
If in fact the wheels are just bent up or "warped", then by all means, replace them. I know of no other wheels which fit these outside of the metropolitan '03-'12 2.15x10 tubeless wheels, and the stock Honda 1.85x10 tube-type wheels.
If you find some that fit somewhere else, please let us know! Welcome and Thanks!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

Honda ruckus rims fit.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

1man8scoots wrote:Honda ruckus rims fit.
All years? They ugly lookin tho.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Ambientek
BMX
BMX

Post by Ambientek »

1man8scoots wrote:Max diameter 95mm. Real issue is the spline count. Take the wheel off and count the spline.
Thank you and ah yes I had totally forgot reading about the spline count!
bonesv wrote:
Ambientek wrote: Front is not as warped as the rear is wearing the tire quickly can imagine this is just causing undue friction in bearing as well.
If the frame or front forks or the motor hanger is bent, or all of these, the new wheels will not help much.
Maybe you could look at the alignment of the back to front wheels up on a low table to assess any possible issues that are not "wheel" related. I have seen many motor hangers twisted and cause a problem such as you have described. Just say'in.
If in fact the wheels are just bent up or "warped", then by all means, replace them. I know of no other wheels which fit these outside of the metropolitan '03-'12 2.15x10 tubeless wheels, and the stock Honda 1.85x10 tube-type wheels.
If you find some that fit somewhere else, please let us know! Welcome and Thanks!
Not sure but It feels like it tracks straight. Only real indicator I have Is with the back wheel in the air and rotating you can see it moving side to side. I checked for play to see if there were was any dmg. Everything seems nice and tight. If I find an alternative i will be sure to share wity guys for sure :)
Ambientek
BMX
BMX

Post by Ambientek »

Are they direct fit?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

What is the width of these?
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

The ruckus style that is like a triangle with holes in the definitely do fit. I'm running one with a 90/90-10 metzler
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

10 x 3.0
Ambientek
BMX
BMX

Post by Ambientek »

1man8scoots wrote:The ruckus style that is like a triangle with holes in the definitely do fit. I'm running one with a 90/90-10 metzler
1man8scoots wrote:10 x 3.0
:woot: sweet! That should make things a little easier. Just curious front or rear?
Ambientek
BMX
BMX

Post by Ambientek »

Would it be safe to say one of these would fit? Then getting the offset right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ZOOMER-RU ... cd&vxp=mtr

Edit: Also found this video on getting a Douglas 4x137mm bolt pattern to fit the Kymco 4x140mm bolt pattern hub. Only thing is I think the most narrow 10" Douglas wheel is 4"'s. If this wheel work without too much modification that would be pretty cool.

http://youtu.be/DdSmZefww70
Last edited by Ambientek on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ambientek
BMX
BMX

Post by Ambientek »

One of my buddies had traded for a Ruckus earlier this week and just now gave me the extra rear wheel that came with it. As soon as I get it mounted I'll take some photos. Which should be by sometime tomorrow, hopefully.