Purple Elite 96

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

rowe94
Goped
Goped

Purple Elite 96

Post by rowe94 »

Ive decided that I have enough problems and questions that I can have my own build thread instead of just asking questions every other day :smile: Anyways, a little bit of history... I picked up my "2001" elite almost two months ago now. I got it for 300 the guy told me that she has a BBK on her and that was the end of it. a couple weeks later my clutch wouldn't disengage so I decided to tear into the bike to try and fix it. Right away I found out that I already have an after market variator (KOSO F5A-2N) After talking with Graphite9 he helped me come up with a couple of things I could swap out to make the Elite faster but still not break the bank for me. I ended up getting a Polini Bell Kn Planning clutch and Polini clutch spring as well as a set of 9.1 When I tore the scooter down to change the gears I found out that I already had aftermarket gears in there and I started to wonder exact what I had. I decided to take the Exhaust off and see the Cylinder. After inspecting it seems as though its still the stock cylinder however the previous guy had zip tied the oil pump open. Someone on here said that I have a yms 28mm. I am deciding what to do with this build. And any suggestions are welcome. I am hoping to have a scooter that can go 40-45 at like 3/4 throttle. And I'm looking for something reliable. I know BORING but at this stage I just want something I can trust for a bit.

I am thinking about getting a CHT for it because it feels hot. not sure if its the exhaust or what...
I was wondering if getting a Tach is important? If that is the case am I better off just getting a Trail Tech and having everything together? Where is the best place to get a CHT also?

Things I want to do eventually
Aftermarket Carb
ZX Driven face
Ruckus Variator
Metro Wheel
BBK
Exhaust?

Any and all input would be helpful! Thanks for your time! Ill try and add pictures when I get my scooter back from a friend
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Re: Purple Elite 96

Post by rowe94 »

Thanks for the input! Where is the best place to get a CHT?
Second question if the exhaust I do have is aftermarket what size jet should I start working with? Is going to my Honda dealer the best or is there a better place to get jets? Thanks again!
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Post by rowe94 »

Spent the last week or so collecting some parts and they all came in today!

I also pulled the plug so that I could install the CHT. I checked against pictures and I think my plug is running good. Not sure on my last ride if I was WOT when I killed it... Also not sure if that makes a difference.

Another angle...

1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

The second plug looks a tad rich but still good, first plug is really good.
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Post by rowe94 »

Awesome! Thanks a ton! I just realized though... I'm switching from my aftermarket exhaust to the stock exhaust I might have to adjust some things...
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Post by rowe94 »

Thanks for all the help. I think I installed the CHT correctly... The bike ran so I'm guessing it's good? Still in the process of putting everything back on. I think I might run the CHT wire up to the seat frame and along the kicker side there are a couple of wire holders...
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Post by rowe94 »

Got everything together. Took it out and noticed it was a little bit smokey. Watch the video haha

I didn't know if it got mixed to rich. Or if there was an oil leak. So I emptied the gas and noticed that the vacuumed thing wasn't working and I emptied the oil because it was junk stuff from the previous owner... Is there a way to check if my oil pump is working? I really don't want to go to premix. Here's a picture of the oil that came out the exhaust...

Anyone have any ideas how to check if it works or have a used one I can buy!
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Post by rowe94 »

So I ended up taking a torch to the exhaust and got a lot of the carbon build up out but now I try and ride it and the clutch doesn't fully disengage... I dunno what's up I got a brand new clutch and clutch bell. Do I need to try and replace the driven face? Any help is appreciated I haven't gotten a week out of riding it...
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Post by rowe94 »

It won't go into neutral... When I stop at a light it does because the clutch isn't disengaging and since the back wheel isn't spinning it gets sloppy...