UK 81 honda melody phat n slow

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Bobspeed
Goped
Goped

UK 81 honda melody phat n slow

Post by Bobspeed »

First of all I found this group trying to find some info on lowering a melody (spree) so I then put a post up about Banding a wheel? Cut a wheel in half and space it with a band! Had good response, so thought I would post my progress, started with a local cheap Melody, been looking for awhile, then bought this £50 prob around 80$
Then stripped it down and set about building my own 5" wide wheel
Rebuilt the engine, while waiting for my 120/70/10 whitewall, also stripped it to the frame ready for sandblasting and repaint, next job then would be shorten the forks 2"
Bobspeed
Goped
Goped

Re: UK 81 honda melody phat n slow

Post by Bobspeed »

Tyre arrived, so excited as we don't get Whitewalls here much, stuck it on, then realised the wheel wouldn fit, I alwYs thought it be tight
So got the pen and grinder out and got stuck in, it WILL FIT :-)
Image You can see Iv cut a fair chunk away
Got the wheel clearing and turning freely,so next job is lowering the forks
Just over 50mm out of them
You would never know, d*** I'm good :-)
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Post by kuromi »

That is d*** good :thumbwink:
Any tips for welding tube for a welding noob (mig)?
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Omg that looks so cool haha. I want that same look for my aero50, I was thinking bout maybe a ruckus wheel (3") or maybe a 4" atv wheel w a 3+1 backspace. More pics please, these scoots look great dumped out!
Bobspeed
Goped
Goped

Post by Bobspeed »

Cheers guys, I've always had big super bikes and supermoto bikes, but do love scooters just to be different! As for your welding tube, just practice practice practice, wether it's tube, box, or sheet, it's all the same mate, make sure your steels are clean and rust free, and your mig is turned up enough? Practice on a piece, then cut through it so you can see how deep your weld has gone!
I need to take more pics, I'm useless with pictures, here's my engine mount which I had to offset the motor 30mm the centre the wheel again, I used 20mm box section, which also spaces it back 20mm so should all sit nice and neat when done
Also picked up my frame earlier from local sandblaster, so now just need to paint it!
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

So....any chance you'd widen a rim for me? You did a great job, n I want a similar look on the rear. There's a drag slick w flat tread on 10 x 3.5 and I'd love to run it haha. The mount looks good too. I'm jealous of the fab skills
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Are you Goin to shorten the front shocks too? I just removed the springs from mine to lower it, still have rubber bumpers in there tho.
Bobspeed
Goped
Goped

Post by Bobspeed »

Ha ha, I bet there be a few guys after a wheel like mine now :-) if you look at my forks in pic, where the tape was I cut out(52mm shorter) welded them back together, and chopping an inch off the springs as spring location is a little lower now, the bottom fork pic is them shortened and all ground back smooth
Bobspeed
Goped
Goped

Post by Bobspeed »

Had my frame back from the sandblaster, hopefully get some primer on it tonight before it starts rusting again!
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Lookin good. Watching this thread like crazy haha it's gonna be nice.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Where you gonna mount the muffler? I think you had to clear the support mount if I'm lookin at the pics right. Are you planning on patching the hole or leaving it?
Pineapplegti
Elite
Elite

Post by Pineapplegti »

Mini melodys are spree based..this is an elite variant. Neat project
78 Kromag. (Briton Bee) .. Under the knife.. Derbi pyramid port dual variated
78 flying dutchman.. e50 swap. mlm pipe custom tank seat.. gila kit
85 Honda spree . Af16 swap joerock mhr mini stroke scorpion pipe.
Bobspeed
Goped
Goped

Post by Bobspeed »

Sprayed the forks today, look mint too, also sprayed my wheels in stunning candy red, but my rear fell off my stand so doing it again, but loving the look, also need to cut few coils off my springs to refit forks
What you wreckon??
Also heard of s 1983 Honda lead (125) so not sure how this engine could fit and suit
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Not 100% sure, but I think an 83 125 is gonna be 2t, so it would be worth the retrofit, but I'm not sure about how easy a swap it is. Looks like you got some fabrication skills anyway haha. The color looks great w that tire.
Bobspeed
Goped
Goped

Post by Bobspeed »

Yeah the 125 is air cooled 2stroke, it needs a piston, maybe rebore? Il go take a look when I get a chance!
Your right, I had to cut the muffler mount clean off to get wheel on, going to leave the hole open, it's only going to be used on sunny days, so should be fine, need to chop my exhaust anyway for it to come out further and clear the wheel, want to find a race pipe, be a lot lighter, and sound much better, then make mounts for it?? Cross that bridge when I get there, cut my front springs so I can rebuild them now, painted my frame today, redone my back wheel, all I got left now is paint my front mudguard to match my plastics, then start putting it back together