First scooter build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

TenRacing
Goped
Goped

First scooter build

Post by TenRacing »

I've recently bought 2 scooters,
1989 SB50 Spree motor Elite E
2000 SA50 this has a bent frame tube.... :(
1987 SE50P Iowa edition (might buy)

I am working on insulating my garage, once I get that done I'll be starting my first build, the 89 Elite E Spree style motor.
Found a 48mm big bore kit and 21mm carb from TAZ's ebay store... just ordered these and they are on the way.
Found a pipe from Treatland, by MLM... need to order this.

Next pieces after these will be doing the gearing and or clutches.
Last edited by TenRacing on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Yamaha FZ07R Race Bike
1989 Elite E SB50 pit scooter just blowd up... (looking for AF16 to retrofit)
"in order to finish first, one must first finish"
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Re: First scooter build

Post by TenRacing »

My Elite ES SB50P... pulled the carb off and apart tonight, found the electronic choke plunger or whatever mechanism that is supposed to be inside the carb... is not...

Which explains why it ran like the choke was on all the time... I have a BBK and 21mm carb on the way from Taz Ebay store, so I am not going to spend any money fixing the stock carb, just blocked off the choke circuit, and it runs much better. Think it'll need some clutch springs and hope to find some other variators and such... it lugs the motor when your sitting still like the clutch is trying to engage...

I am not going to build for top speed, want 0-30 or 0-40 to be quick, since it will be a pit bike at the race track it doesn't need to go much more than 30 or maybe 40. if it does fine, but I want accelleration.

Suggestions welcome.
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

That engine will not have a variator. If I'm not mistaken it's basicall the same engine as a stock spree engine the af05e.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I don't think it's an af05, those are variated. It should have an engine code stamped on the back just under and back from the shock. I think it's an sb50 if it's in an elite, nb50 if it's in a spree? But I think you should maybe swap in an af16, I think the one w the bent frame will have one. The 87 elite should have a restricted afo5e, and I think it should have 10.0 to 1 gears so that one should be a good one too.
Drifter562
Spree
Spree

Post by Drifter562 »

It is an Afo5e just the unvariated one same as spree however it has a better design than the spree, That bbk and carb is going to give you plenty of torque, with an mlm sidebleed pipe you got yourself a lil beast that possibly with all its might reach 40 ish. Sounds like what you are looking for. I myself have a variated afo5e engine on a spree, I also have a bbk on it and my scooter just shreds the street my acceleration is dynamite, i can beat any car off the line from 0-30 so far hehe and i dont have a carb or a pipe or any performance transmission parts.

IMO an af16 on spree is cool don't get me wrong but too much, it belongs on the SA50 frame or an SE50 frame
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Post by TenRacing »

Don't think I am going to pick up the '87 SE50 it's missing half the body work and I have enough projects right now..

Although it is SUPER CHEAP, Might be able to sell the AF05 out of it to pay for itself.....
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Post by TenRacing »

Spruckus wrote:That engine will not have a variator. If I'm not mistaken it's basicall the same engine as a stock spree engine the af05e.
it is the Spree style motor..
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Post by TenRacing »

Drifter562 wrote:It is an Afo5e just the unvariated one same as spree however it has a better design than the spree, That bbk and carb is going to give you plenty of torque, with an mlm sidebleed pipe you got yourself a lil beast that possibly with all its might reach 40 ish. Sounds like what you are looking for. I myself have a variated afo5e engine on a spree, I also have a bbk on it and my scooter just shreds the street my acceleration is dynamite, i can beat any car off the line from 0-30 so far hehe and i dont have a carb or a pipe or any performance transmission parts.

IMO an af16 on spree is cool don't get me wrong but too much, it belongs on the SA50 frame or an SE50 frame
Yeah the SB50 motor number appears to be filed off so I am not sure I will be able to get it titled... but don't really need it to be for a pit bike...

Trying to decide what to do with the SA50. when I have a little time I want to get the motor fired up. will either build a hot rod road going scooter out of it or part it out.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I will do my best to post updates as I get started. :coolcruise:
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Post by TenRacing »

Just back from the DMV, did title search, nothing existing, and since it is 49cc, and a restricted model the nice lady at Benton County set up up with a Moped Plate and submitted for a title!

So most of the parts are acquired for the SB50 Build.

started accruing parts for the second build... guess I got the scooter bug...
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Post by TenRacing »

Well I finally got to work on the SB50P! Got the BBK, carb, and the mlk side bleed pipe installed, just a couple heat cycles through it so far, need to get a different set of springs for the clutch engagement shoes, unless someone has another way to raise the clutch engagement RPM a bit.

Don't really need more top speed, but I want it to hit harder and pull to top speed quick
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Post by TenRacing »

BBK, intake, carb, and air cleaner from TAZ all done and running! nice pieces that fit other than I had to file the area between the intake and the cylinder to get the holes to line up...

also got the MLM pipe installed, sounds sweet!

the center stand is worn down so bad that both tires touch the ground with the new 2.75 Kenda's on it.

Really need to get the clutch to engage at a higher RPM... anyone have a lead on a new clutch set up that will work with a non variator system?
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

I thought people used the af16 style clutches on the spree also? I'm not an expert on the non variated af05e.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

You can buy an gy6 clutch and bell and have an larger clutch surace and tune it with a large and more assisted group of springs and weights.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Post by TenRacing »

1man8scoots wrote:I thought people used the af16 style clutches on the spree also? I'm not an expert on the non variated af05e.
the way I understand it, they won't work, as it doesn't have the longer crankshaft for the 'drive' variator...
TenRacing
Goped
Goped

Post by TenRacing »

MrJumps wrote:You can buy an gy6 clutch and bell and have an larger clutch surace and tune it with a large and more assisted group of springs and weights.
Not sure I want to get into all of that...

I found a good clutch, and pulled the springs out of that, put in to my clutch, drilled equal size and located holes in the shoes, to hopefully increase the engagement RPM...

can't tell if it helped any or not but does seem to work better... at least the clutch is not engaged at an idle as much now...