1 turd + 1 turd=

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

1 turd + 1 turd=

Post by Ruckenstein »

I've been trying to clean up my back yard and shed so I decided to combine a couple $30 turds and scrap/sell the rest.
Turd 1 is a 1984 Aero 50. The 2nd turd is an aero 80. I swore I would never touch another Aero 80 but since I always seem to lie to myself concerning trivial scooter decisions, I figured I'd make this the last Nh80. Another fib?? Naaaah.
I've always liked the first aero 50 design and the plastic on this one is actually pretty good. The harness was shot so I'll be swapping the nh80's after we get the motor mount fabbed up. I'm also considering swapping the forks if possible. My neighbor who is helping me has all kinds of goodies to chop and weld. I would really like to keep the aero 80 wheels.

Turd 1
patthesoundguy

Re: 1 turd + 1 turd=

Post by patthesoundguy »

Mythbusters proved you can actually Polish a turd... I think you will have a really cool rig with this project. Can't wait to see how you make out. :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

patthesoundguy wrote:Mythbusters proved you can actually Polish a turd... I think you will have a really cool rig with this project. Can't wait to see how you make out. :-)
Have they ever painted one??
motormike

Post by motormike »

Ruckenstein wrote:Have they ever painted one??

This could be my favorite build...at least the best one to come out of Bell Buckle.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Mike, is that a secret inside TN reference? Do tell.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
motormike

Post by motormike »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Mike, is that a secret inside TN reference? Do tell.

Not really Wheelieman,...Ruckenstein lives somewhere within scooter distance from Bell Buckle, TN.
We've had opportunity to do some biz here in the big city,
and have shared a fun night with some Canadians, i.e. Arcade Fire... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

So I'll be trying to drop this turd down a bit after seeing the awesome melody drop. Looking for some good advice on where and how much is possible. Of course the fenders don't fit so I gotta use the 80 fender. :(
The races and bearings will need to be accounted for. I'll have to do a little swapping somehow.
Bobspeed
Goped
Goped

Post by Bobspeed »

Ooh there's a difference in forks, your best bet is strip the forks to bits to see how they work, and where you can modify them, think there the same as the ones on my 125 lead? I haven had chance to look at mine to help you fella
Ruckenstein
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Ruckenstein »

So my thoughts on lowering the aero 80 front is very doable. I might need to find some springs though. I forgot my measure. :( but I'll take some tomorrow I hope.

So the idea is to chop off the area covered by the duct tape and to REMOVE the area BETWEEN the masking tape. I will have to shorten the inner shock bolt by the amount of metal removed from the masking tape on the fork. The removal of the lower duct tape covered area is to help keep it from bottoming out. Will need find some shocks/coils the are gonna let me be comfortable at a DirtNastyLow level.
Any comments are welcome. Thank the Good Lord My neighbor has the tools and skills to cut and weld.