Rehone to perfection?

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

Rehone to perfection?

Post by NB50clonePGO6GOD »

Hey I need advice on honing I feel 220 short tip 3 teeth stone hones too light

Looking for a slightly deeper ra between 15-20 ra stock rings.

I looked at ball hone none = 40mm

Closest is a nylon steel brush about 13/32

I want to do it perfect

Jugs based off 84 nb50 specs with -.1 on the piston height

NB 50 84 40mm x 39.3

Yamaha/ minarelli piston spec 40mm x 49.2 which represents the negative one.

Cast cyl cast rings

What's the best grit rate for a 3 stone hone in compriaon to ball hone.

Quick in and out break the glaze. Stone hones catch the port timing sides which is why i prefer ball.
People playing with my clone I let it slide with em, still tipping on 3.0's belt ramping the CVT ON PGOS!

Too quick, TURN UP!
Ryan_ott
Spree
Spree

Re: Rehone to perfection?

Post by Ryan_ott »

Hand hone with 220 wet/dry at 45 degrees in cris cross. Less chance getting hung up in ports. Easy
I sold it all...

75 Yamaha RD200 project

http://www.49ccscoot.com/
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

Ryan_ott wrote:Hand hone with 220 wet/dry at 45 degrees in cris cross. Less chance getting hung up in ports. Easy

"Hand?"

I notice dry honing 220 hatches good on a 3 stone hone.

If it's even better this time around on the last hone life I am going to be building a custom stereo in the center of the scooot solar powered recharge on a old deep cycle battery that should be able to do it. Charge every 3 days.

Would be good to sand and paint the exo of the cylinder as well.
People playing with my clone I let it slide with em, still tipping on 3.0's belt ramping the CVT ON PGOS!

Too quick, TURN UP!
motormike

Post by motormike »

NB50clonePGO6GOD wrote:Would be good to sand and paint the exo of the cylinder as well.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahha...really :?:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Ryan_ott
Spree
Spree

Post by Ryan_ott »

Bunch on non believers... Same results can be achieved with plain old sand paper. Won't work on niksal played cylinders that stuff is too hard. Try it on a junk cylinder you'll see.
I sold it all...

75 Yamaha RD200 project

http://www.49ccscoot.com/
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

Ryan_ott wrote:Bunch on non believers... Same results can be achieved with plain old sand paper. Won't work on niksal played cylinders that stuff is too hard. Try it on a junk cylinder you'll see.

Sand paper is some ...
. :bs:

Why would you do that too deep cross hatch can f off your rings unless its stuck to 40mm wooden dowel at ayleast 320 grit.

They say too deep cross hatch can make your oil not lubricate properly and it WILL f up your cylinder 25%-45% degree angle crosshatch IS ALWAYS in spec range then your ra has to be 15-20% which is 220-240 grit exact.

220 acts as 240 under dry circumstances to add the hatch and wet for getting the glaze off first time I spent 3 days buffing with mmo covered rag. The head is milled a tiny bit. its cast non nikasil

Too quick, TURN UP!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

Is that toothpaste and spoons with copper sptay on an egg beater LMFAO!

Too quick, TURN UP!
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

i would use a ridged hone and be careful not to catch the ports, a ball hone seams to get caught in the ports and rounds the ports out and it's really hard on the ball hone, I'm not sure about the perfect grit to use but ridged hone will give you a better quality cross hatch. just my opinion

I would stay away from the hand drill with the spoons taped to it.
shotcaller
Noob
Noob

Post by shotcaller »

wwolvert wrote:I would stay away from the hand drill with the spoons taped to it.
vid was humor. Did you set the pile of curly metal shavings on the bench after running the spoons up/down? :D
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

shotcaller wrote:
wwolvert wrote:I would stay away from the hand drill with the spoons taped to it.
vid was humor. Did you set the pile of curly metal shavings on the bench after running the spoons up/down? :D
I figured every one needs a ring micrometer in there box, if you want to be as precise as possible.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I've done tones of cylinders with 3 stone brake cylinder hone with great results, but it would be easier and safer with the ball hone. I replace my stones often so I keep a consistent grit.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

patthesoundguy wrote:I've done tones of cylinders with 3 stone brake cylinder hone with great results, but it would be easier and safer with the ball hone. I replace my stones often so I keep a consistent grit.

How do you change those stonea 0.0 !! BTW nice photo BTW pat that shows heart for the scoot

Picture feels right thus giving confidence and pride in my scooter.

Not dropping my photo til I have a video YouTube show.

Too quick, TURN UP!
NB50clonePGO6GOD
Goped
Goped

wwolvert wrote:i would use a ridged hone and be careful not to catch the ports, a ball hone seams to get caught in the ports and rounds the ports out and it's really hard on the ball hone, I'm not sure about the perfect grit to use but ridged hone will give you a better quality cross hatch. just my opinion

I would stay away from the hand drill with the spoons taped to it.

Well to be sure a heavier ra may dow more good double ring swap, instead of wet/dry 5-24 rah do a 320 over oiled 24-32 ra,

Less hone time stronger glaze breakdown.

Cylinder at the bottom was initially harder.

Too quick, TURN UP!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I buy new hones they are so cheap ;-) you can use cotter pins to replace the stones I think. The replacement stones are really inexpensive. I have a YouTube channel :-) search patthesoundguy on YouTube :-) I have been pretty busy latley and haven't been making as many videos as I should be.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock