My 85 spree build af16e swap

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

akurtzer57
Goped
Goped

My 85 spree build af16e swap

Post by akurtzer57 »

Picked up my first spree/scooter and hooked 3 days later picked up the 01 elite for a donor for only $150. 85 is pretty clean for most part with 1700 miles. The 01 pretty ratty kid lost the key but did have the title. Bypassed the ignition fired right up odometer reads only 880 miles. Rode around for mile or 2 without any issues. Plan so far to just swap af16e over to the spree. Will also be switching front forks wheels and brakes. Heres a list for future mods all input appreciated if better parts than what I have listed. Few things not really sure what to go with.
50mm big bore kit from chopchop*123
STG 6 Inake manifold
Malossi Fly racing clutch
Polini 28mm PWK Carb
Malossi Variator Roller size?
PG pipe long or short?
Gears brand ratio?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: My 85 spree build af16e swap

Post by MrJumps »

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Elite-S-SR- ... 0408.m2460

There is your top end and best gears that go with it.

As for pipe everyone points to an pg short. Pg longs apparently dont do as well as the short.

Also that carb may be massive for that bore. I know those polinis are gas sippers, you might be able to run an 24mm or even a 21mm and jet it up easier too. Not sure though, just from what I read online.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Like your plan... :thumbwink:
I think you will have a sweet bike when you get done.
Plenty of threads to help you find your way.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
akurtzer57
Goped
Goped

Post by akurtzer57 »

I was just reading on carbs more may go with smaller. After comparing the two frames I may fab a whole new engine mount to extend it back farther to stretch it a bit. The shorter wheel base with my plans might get a little sketchy. Fab work should all be pretty easy not much to these little things.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

The elite mount stretches it quiet a bit, but it does feel short. Scooterswapshop.com has an stretch kit thats 4 inches meant for the elite, but if you can fab your own up then no problem.
akurtzer57
Goped
Goped

Post by akurtzer57 »

MrJumps wrote:The elite mount stretches it quiet a bit, but it does feel short. Scooterswapshop.com has an stretch kit thats 4 inches meant for the elite, but if you can fab your own up then no problem.
I figured something was available but don't take me nothing to fab it up. I weld for living and have my tig welder at home. Adding up parts and hope to do the swap in a weekend and build motor another weekend later down road. So far got $600 in parts added up still have to find a variator or run stock with different rollers? Also deciding on gears unsure on those as well.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Scooterswapshop.com

Keli variator stock one is trash apparently.
The gears that come with the kit above are the best deal your paying $20 for the gears versas 45ish for another set else where. But yeah if you can weld extend the elite mount and call it an day.
akurtzer57
Goped
Goped

Post by akurtzer57 »

MrJumps wrote:Scooterswapshop.com

Keli variator stock one is trash apparently.
The gears that come with the kit above are the best deal your paying $20 for the gears versas 45ish for another set else where. But yeah if you can weld extend the elite mount and call it an day.
Thanks for link found few other parts may get from there.
akurtzer57
Goped
Goped

Post by akurtzer57 »

MrJumps wrote:http://m.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Elite-S-SR- ... Bore-with-
9to1-Gear-Set-/221898734011?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253DSIC.MBE%2526ao%
253D1%2526asc%253D201505192023
48%2526meid%253Df1c56ba596ce4936bf1ac3f5b9f36d2e%2526pid%253D100
408%2526rk%253D1%2526rkt%253D17%2526sd%253D371451151837&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

There is your top end and best gears that go with it.

As for pipe everyone points to an pg short. Pg longs apparently dont do as well as the short.

Also that carb may be massive for that bore. I know those polinis are gas sippers, you might be able to run an 24mm or even a 21mm and jet it up easier too.
Not sure though, just from what I read online.
Does this cylinder benefit from any porting or are they decent how they come bolt on and go? Also any ideas what kind speed I may reach with my build. Of course alot variables come into play with how I tune it.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

I like Jumps's question about the PG long vs short on this bore

What do you guys think would be the best pipe to run on these?

Been doing a bit of reading and from what I can see either a PG or a V8, does anyone have any experience with either of them?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Ultraliner wrote:I like Jumps's question about the PG long vs short on this bore

What do you guys think would be the best pipe to run on these?

Been doing a bit of reading and from what I can see either a PG or a V8, does anyone have any experience with either of them?
Taz and g9 say pg short, never asked about the v8 because they look like an stock conister and almost a waste of money in my eyes.

As for porting, a lot of people say to port the blocks boost port, but I didnt, if it becomes a problem I will pull it off and split the block and port it out. Porting always helps, but only if you know exactly what you are doing. Its a extremely scientific number chrunching and angle finding task.

Now as for speed, ive seen 55-60ish off the taz lands bore with the pg and ct mani and carb. The gears is what really opens an bbk up though.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Im about to put the money down on a v8 so if your not doing your build till after april I can give my word on it.
akurtzer57
Goped
Goped

Post by akurtzer57 »

Well I was going to wait until I got a title for the spree before doing the swap but vin came back clean. Had a rainy day so tore both bikes down and did the swap today. Was pretty straight forward. Spent 45 min tearing elite completely down even front forks off. The spree took less than 15 min to pull the motor.
Heres the af16. Pretty grubby for only 900 miles had a oil leak on the tank.
The exhaust off the elite was broke in two so just quick weld to get it all one piece get me by for now until I order a pipe. Also have no idea what kind hack job someone did on back side of this or why?
Once got the prep work done cut the elite motor mount down and made a shock mount again was easy maybe 15-20 min total for both.
New motor sitting like it belongs.
Another bonus from having full parts bike sitting next to me just cut the plugs off and soldered them to the spree harness. Just plug & play now.
akurtzer57
Goped
Goped

Post by akurtzer57 »

Got a test ride in so much more fun than the stock spree and the sa50. Nice and light can't wait get few mods. Went up and down the block hit roughly 30mph where it seems to top out not sure if thats what stock dio should run in a spree? For time being Im going keep it simple and do a variator new belt and probably 9:1 gears. Then start piling parts for the bore carb etc. Cant even tell I swapped it unless knew what your looking at. Still few minor things to adjust Have to trim the rear fender a bit to clear the tire and should be good to ride around.
akurtzer57
Goped
Goped

Post by akurtzer57 »

graphite9 wrote:nice execution! The thread didn't drag on, great seeing you nail it. The spree, in my opinion with a stock dio+variator is awesome It moves with a stock motor. great work :worship:
It already wants to wheelie on take off if give half throttle right away. Ground was still damp from rain on test ride and from stop to full throttle launch smokey burnout and some sideways action. Just hope can get that low end like that on dry ground.