1987 Aero 50 rebuild/spruce up questions

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

JoshKamp330
Noob
Noob

1987 Aero 50 rebuild/spruce up questions

Post by JoshKamp330 »

Hi, so I'm in the process of rebuilding my scooter and have a couple things Im curious about. Before I start asking questions I'll give some backstory on the subject.

So I bought this to replace my old 87 aero that was used and abused that I'd had for around 7 or 8 years. Basically the new aero looked a million times better but ran pretty junky (pain to start, after wot when brought back to idle would die and be impossible to start) and got worse. Upon disassembly I found my head bolts were barely past finger tight and that my by starter passage and primary? idle jet were super dirty. I think these were the culprits for my problems. So I am now finally getting around to rebuilding this thing with mild performance upgrades cause I'd always wanted to spruce up my old one this way.

So I bought
-Malossi bbk not sure cc's (cylinder,piston,rings,reeds,jet)
-Malossi mulitvar (white spring, I think 7g rollers)
-Oil pump block off plug
-Aero 80 oil pump
-Elite three pedal reed plate (reeds from malossi kit don't fit aero reed block)
-New fuel and vac lines

I don't really plan on beating on this thing. Of course I'm going to top out the motor but I won't be doing it for long stretches. Most of the time it will be stop and go probably cruisin 35 - 45. I'd just like up to that speed quickly and still have more headroom just in case.
I really just want this thing to be reliable. I miss that about my old one. 2 kicks after winter and that thing would fire up and idle great.

so now my questions....

Say the 80cc oil pump fits will it sufficiently oil this engine setup under these riding conditions? Should I add oil a touch of oil to the tank also?

Say the 80cc pump doesn't fit then I will run the pump block off and run only premix. With this setup and riding conditions what should my ratio be? I have seen 30:1 40:1 and even 50:1

Stock airbox or pod filter?

Will this run alright with the stock carb and pipe? The carb has whatever size jet the malossi kit comes with but the idle? jet is still super small. That small passage paired with stock pipe am I asking to lean out and soft seize?

What about a clutch kit or just springs? What springs would be good for my setup? I am 145lbs

Performance wise what size carb would be good with this setup and how would it affect the power curve?

I really want a malossi wild lion pipe. They don't make these anymore for the aero do they? Would I still see the benefits of an aftermarket pipe like this if I found one for another more common model and cut and welded my flange onto this pipe?

I hope i've been descriptive enough and thanks in advance for any help. I know I haven't posted much but the search button works well. You guys have been helping keep my scoots going for years. Hoping to get to enjoy this thing soon. Oh and I got a lot of these parts from scooterswapshop.com and they were great to deal with. Decent prices and super fast shipping.
Wheelman-111

Re: 1987 Aero 50 rebuild/spruce up questions

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Malossi 47mm bore yields 65ccs, a 40% increase. The Mal variator is another quality upgrade. If the 80 pump fits - doubtful - it should in theory supply enough oil, but I don't think anyone has posted about this. Inspect the little gear that engages the crankshaft worm drive carefully; it just might work but I won't bet on it.
The Elite case port is narrower left-to-right than the AF05 block, so unless you're crafty it will be a challenge to seal that port and still use the rest of the Aero intake tract. You'll see a notable gain in power, even with stock carb and pipe. Assuming your jet needle has more than one position, put the c-clip in the notch closest to the pointy tip to raise it and bring the Main circuit online a little sooner. Then richen the idle mixture to taste. My own Elite is running a stock carb and pipe, but of course a Wild Lion or LeoVince (Kit #4447) will allow for higher RPM and top speed.

I'm really not so sure it's worth going through the tuning of an aftermarket carb for this build. Sure it might gain a couple of MPH on top but not all that much. If you do go for a carb, consider an 18 or a 19. Amal used to make one that was literally Bolt-On, including the manifold, airbox, cable and even the bystarter. I got mine at Scooter-Center.com in Deutschland in 2009 but I'm pretty sure they no longer have them.

Welcome to Modding Madness.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
JoshKamp330
Noob
Noob

Re: 1987 Aero 50 rebuild/spruce up questions

Post by JoshKamp330 »

I'll definitely check the specifics of the pump when I get it. The housings look pretty similar from the pictures I could find. For the price of the pump and reed cage I figured it'd be worth a shot. I've seen the topics discussed but never anyone try it. Maybe I'll be able to open up the holes on the reed cage. Kind of like slot them side to side. We'll see. Again hopeful. The carbon reeds seem harmless compared to the steel ones given they explode. I meant to ask about the needle position thanks for bringing it up I will set it as you said. Glad to know I won't lean out. That just sounds terrible. Thanks