Another af16 Spree!

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Visceralsoup
BMX
BMX

Another af16 Spree!

Post by Visceralsoup »

Hey guys, just got my engine from Kevinv710 and Im pretty excited to get started. I have pretty much everything except the carb. I also have the stock elite mount. Any tips on getting this thing to fit correctly? I saw that a member was making shock and engine mounts a while back. Wondering if he still does them.
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Another af16 Spree!

Post by veedubh20 »

need to measure to cut 99mm on left side need to cut. and right side leave it alone on elite s mount. tounge mount bracket need to cut and weld.

rear shock need 310mm.
Visceralsoup
BMX
BMX

Post by Visceralsoup »

UPDATE!

Got the stock engine pulled and cut up the dio mount. Still need to get the shock mount moved but, this is progress.

I also need to figure something out for the center stand. The mounting holes are slightly blocked by the engine mount.

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I brought an adjustable bike kickstand off ebay for 8 bucks shipped and drilled a hole in the side bar under the spalstic and bolted it in good and it works good. Build is solid, what top end are you gonna go for??
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Visceralsoup
BMX
BMX

Post by Visceralsoup »

MrJumps wrote:I brought an adjustable bike kickstand off ebay for 8 bucks shipped and drilled a hole in the side bar under the spalstic and bolted it in good and it works good. Build is solid, what top end are you gonna go for??
Good idea.
I went with the 90cc kit from chopchop on ebay. Came with 9:1 gears so should be quite fun.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Visceralsoup wrote:
MrJumps wrote:I brought an adjustable bike kickstand off ebay for 8 bucks shipped and drilled a hole in the side bar under the spalstic and bolted it in good and it works good. Build is solid, what top end are you gonna go for??
Good idea.
I went with the 90cc kit from chopchop on ebay. Came with 9:1 gears so should be quite fun.

I have the same top end, your gonna love it, it gives a solid feeling. A tip for installing though, use the stubs, the stock size honda bolts only go in about 3 or 4 threads, mine tore out those first 4 so I have to be extremely carefull from now on. Another tip is when installing make sure your piston skirt is nice and smooth and dosnt hit the case.
Visceralsoup
BMX
BMX

Post by Visceralsoup »

MrJumps wrote:
I have the same top end, your gonna love it, it gives a solid feeling. A tip for installing though, use the stubs, the stock size honda bolts only go in about 3 or 4 threads, mine tore out those first 4 so I have to be extremely carefull from now on. Another tip is when installing make sure your piston skirt is nice and smooth and dosnt hit the case.
Are you talking about the head studs that come with the kit?
Visceralsoup
BMX
BMX

Post by Visceralsoup »

Got the big bore kit today and got it all put together.
Nice looking parts.

Gonna pull apart the gears tomorrow and get the new set pressed and put in. Carb is coming in the mail. A few nuts and bolts and it should be ready to fire.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Yes those head studs, take one stud out Nd goto home depot and get a grade 8 or so set of nuts for it, along with some washers. It helps even out the pressure on the head and the stronger nut wont strip.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Wow. That's going to be one good-looking spree. :2thumbs: love the Red color. :love:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Visceralsoup
BMX
BMX

Post by Visceralsoup »

ped wrote:Wow. That's going to be one good-looking spree. :2thumbs: love the Red color. :love:
Thanks! Gonna weld up the shock mount tomorrow and get it on 2 wheels!
Last edited by Visceralsoup on Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visceralsoup
BMX
BMX

Post by Visceralsoup »

Got the engine all bolted up today. My buddy made a pretty trick mount that turned out great.

The carb, ZX trans, and other parts should be here soon. Can't wait to get this thing fired up

veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

the base yellow gasket need to boost port, some days will piston get sieze ..

9:1 gear, spree will flip over.

should have gone polini corsa bore and 7.1 gear
Visceralsoup
BMX
BMX

Post by Visceralsoup »

veedubh20 wrote:the base yellow gasket need to boost port, some days will piston get sieze ..

9:1 gear, spree will flip over.

should have gone polini corsa bore and 7.1 gear
Its a little late now hahaha

Also what do you mean by I need to boost port?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I believe Veedubh refers to the acres of metal on the crankcase framed by the boost port (yellow) gasket window behind the cylinder. Opening up the crankcase to the dimensions of that gasket opening adds needed transfer channel to route the fuel vapor in the crankcase up into the Business End of the cylinder on the downstroke. As it is, the tiny opening of the stock crankcase boost port can't feed much fuel into the Big Bore cylinder's port. Some believe that this deficiency leads to poor flow across the piston crown when the exhaust port first opens, with consequent hot spots and seizure. Others report having installed their Tai, Malossi Iron and MHR cylinders without modifying the crankcase opening, and have experienced uneventful results.

I think it should run just fine if you are sure to chamfer the knife-edge of the cylinder ports. Otherwise the port edges literally scrape all the oil off the piston, leaving a dry spot that gets scored and can seize.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH