Honda Spree 139QMB GY6 swap.

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Arexevyn
BMX
BMX

Honda Spree 139QMB GY6 swap.

Post by Arexevyn »

My buddy is doing 99.9% of the work. I'm posting the photos he's taken thus far. I can try to answer questions. I am trying to retain as much of the Spree plastics and looks as possible. The Spree and Big Chief donor scooters were free. I've only spent $145 on a 100cc big bore kit so far, that should be in on Friday (I hope).

Mock Up. Still fabricating engine mount. That's not the final angle the engine will sit:

He combined parts of the Spree forks with one off a donor scooter that had front discs. Believe the donor was called a "Big Chief":

Just gotta bolt the caliper back on and mount the lever to the Spree:

That's it so far. Will post more very soon.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda Spree 139QMB GY6 swap.

Post by MrJumps »

Looking good, I would build suport for that gy6 though, those motors are know to snap without the cvt case cover and some have even done that with the cover on. Not trying to scare you, just dont wanna se someome get hurt. Besides that, with a 100cc big bore that thing will be a wheelie machine.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Arexevyn
BMX
BMX

Post by Arexevyn »

The belt cover will go back on. We've got it half way taken apart to put on the new variator that comes with the kit. The kit came with the cylinder, piston, cam, head with larger valves, carb, CDI, coil, gaskets, variator, and rollers. Someone also gave me some 8gram rollers for free. I way 260lbs. As long as it can do 40ish and accelerate okay, I'll be happy. :D
TinyElvis
Spree
Spree

Post by TinyElvis »

I wouldn't be thaaat scared about a short case gy6 engine (but still keep an eye on the rear swingarm on top at the corner of the gear case) ... I'd be a little more dubious about the stem weld not being perfectly straight. One of the more crucial component that requires being perfectly perpendicular with the tree. Yikes!
Not a fan of the gy6 motor in general. Poor quality and parts. Honda motors FTW baby!
Honda DIO 3 ZX Live, Malossi, WindJammah!
Arexevyn
BMX
BMX

Post by Arexevyn »

He used a straight edge and shims and clamps to level and line everything up for the tree, then spot welded, double checked, and then finished welding. Its all bolted together now with the bearings in and everything. Turns smooth, no binding, no wobble or play. Feels solid, and way safer than the Spree front bicycle fork. Lol. Kit came in today. Came with 20mm carb to replace the stock 18mm. Kit looks good. Will post the pics when I get home.
Hppowdercoatings
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Hppowdercoatings »

Here"s a Link to my old build for ideas...

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=29710&start=15
Arexevyn
BMX
BMX

Post by Arexevyn »

Hppowdercoatings wrote:Here"s a Link to my old build for ideas...

Awesome. Love the colors. Gonna try and make the shock work though. Think I'm too heavy to hardtail mine. The frame already probably stresses under my weight. Lol. We'll see how it goes.
Hppowdercoatings
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by Hppowdercoatings »

Arexevyn wrote:
Hppowdercoatings wrote:Here"s a Link to my old build for ideas...

Awesome. Love the colors. Gonna try and make the shock work though. Think I'm too heavy to hardtail mine. The frame already probably stresses under my weight. Lol. We'll see how it goes.
FYI hard tail will hold more weight, I weight 205...ride was a little stiff but fun Ride..
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi. I helped a friend put a 100cc kit on his QMB50 Big dog scooter. His top speed Is about 60 mph. :rock:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
Visceralsoup
BMX
BMX

Post by Visceralsoup »

Just an FYI, the kits marketed as 100cc are actually 88cc. Keep this in mind when tuning the carb.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Ive seen a few true 100cc kits the 88cc kits are the ones that have a star logo stamped on them and they are sleeved in another metal around the oter sleeve.
Arexevyn
BMX
BMX

Post by Arexevyn »

Few new pics for the thread.

60cc piston on top, 50cc in middle, shiny new "100cc" on bottom:

Stock carb was 18mm, new carb is 20mm:

Pic of the kit ordered from eBay user 02starrider:

the tube that goes from the carb to the engine was pretty small, so it was dremel'd out a bit (still needs a bit of polishing):

And we came to an agreement as to the way it'll be mounted. Which is about this angle and distance from frame for a "stretched" look:

Also purchased some steel today to make the mounts. Some longer bolts to hold the hydraulic front brake lever to the Spree's handlebars. And other odds and ends. Also in talks is the possibility of purchasing a 5 liter mini keg to use as a fuel tank. ;p Will post more pics as they come.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I leanred the hard qay today about how small that gas tank really is.
Arexevyn
BMX
BMX

Post by Arexevyn »

Updates!

Homemade plates. Welded to frame, will bolt to gy6 mount:

Adding support. A little rod with a rubber bushing sticks off the front of the motor mount, which slides into this tube which was welded to the frame:

Another plate welded across the top of all 3 for MOAR SUPPORT!:

This is where the shock will bolt. Gotta weld in some support here. It's a tad flimsy:

And then a bunch more welding to make sure everything stays. Planted my fat butt on it and bounced to stress test it. The new mounts and plates didn't budge. Shock works:

Now it's just a matter of adjusting valves, tightening bolts, running some wiring, and putting the body panels on (which will need a tiny bit of trimming). Gettin' close! =D
Arexevyn
BMX
BMX

Post by Arexevyn »

Did some work on the brakes. Bolted the caliper to the forks and modified the original Spree brake lever. Unbolted it and ground off what I didn't need, then bolted the brake lever from the Big Chief onto the bar, Front hydraulic disc brake now:

Reinforced the wheel arch part of the frame with VERY thick plate steel from Lowe's. It was a 3 foot by 2 inch piece of plate, the thickest one you could get off the shelf. Put it in a vice and bent it by hand and by hammer to match the angles on the wheel arch for support. Used c-clamps to hold it in place while we welded it to the underside of the frame. MUCH more rigid now:

Also welded in the bolt that is being used to hold the shock. It has MUCH more support now:

And lastly... f*** wiring... lol... o.o

I did get to hear it run for a few seconds today. Sounds good. No banging or clanging or clacking from the engine. Just gotta sort out the bits of wiring we dont need, run a fuel line, and pop the body back on. =D

Edit: Used exhaust from the Big Chief. As well as it's throttle cable. Also primed and painted the "frame extension" and new mount that was made.