95 Honda elite s 50cc project

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Ncscootin
Noob
Noob

95 Honda elite s 50cc project

Post by Ncscootin »

Ok I have been reading this forum for sometime now. So I guess this is my noob post. As soon as I purchased my elite that I paid 300$ for. I disassembled it. Cleaned the carb, put in a 80 main jet, derestricted the exuast, removed the tab in air box, zip tied the oil pump, replaced variator with keli, replaced battery. Now I'm able to do 35-38 mph flat land with me 215 lbs. 40-44 mph downhill. But now I want to do faster. I am shooting for 60+ mph. So I just ordered taz's(chopchop) 50mm cylinder with the 9:1 gears and a pg long pipe. I'll post so before and after pic when I figure it out. Now for a few questions. Should I port this cylinder? Anyone know what this cylinder is? And port map? Also spark plugs recommendation? Main jet recommended(it comes with 100mj)
Wheelman-111

Re: 95 Honda elite s 50cc project

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Congrats on a nice Elite!

Although 22mph doesn't sound like much, there's a HUGE difference between 38 and 60 MPH in terms of what must be done to Honda-san's product to achieve the latter speed.

The Taz cylinder is probably a Philippines or Taiwanese product that can be made to perform well if you know what you're doing, but you'll almost certainly need help on the intake side as well. The stock carb and intake will be hard-pressed to feed the 82ccs you'll have, and heat spikes due to the small (and Fixed) pilot circuit are a risk with closed throttle. Consider swapping to an intake manifold that permits you to install PWK or Polini carbs; I suggest a 24 or so. You'll need to purchase B8HS plugs, and the cooling shroud will need to be adjusted - widen the hole - to install.

The Tai cylinders come from different suppliers and can have different designs. Consider a degree wheel and measure the port timings carefully. Bakaracer and 1Man8Scoots can help you set the timing to your intended use from Grocery-Getter to Racetrack Ripper.

To get to 60, you have to have good power at higher RPM. The PG Long is affordable, and might rev high enough, but it sure is noisy and the build quality isn't very good for bumpy street use. I've had better luck with the quieter Short PG, but that's just me. Also 9:1 gears can actually work with a stock 50cc displacement, but unless the engine can rev really high, consider taller (8.44 - 7.97) gearing.

And if you're after speed, remember the motto: Fast, Cheap, Reliable; pick any two.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Ncscootin
Noob
Noob

Post by Ncscootin »

Ok bore came in. So it's installed it came with studs but no nuts was going to get some nuts when I realized the stock bolts were a little bigger in diameter so I decided to use them. Also there was no studs or bolts to attach the exuast an stock ones are too rusty to use. What bolts would I need for this? As far as carb and intake setup I am going to break in with stock carb with 105mj. Then purchase a narauka intake and polini 24mm carb. I'm not confident about port tuning yet. So I'm going to get a practice cylinder to play with until I get this cylinder broke in
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The cylinder kit should have arrived with a pair of M6 x 1 studs, about 1.5 inches long. Sometimes they tape them somewhere in the Styrofoam cylinder cradle. If you can't find them, you can buy a length of M6 All-Thread rod for a couple of bucks and a Nutz 'n Boltz specialty store near you. Cut them to length, and I recommend you screw them in fully but carefully to the cylinder flange using red LocTite. Don't let them touch the cylinder and bottom out or you risk cracking the iron flange when you mount the muffler.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Ncscootin
Noob
Noob

Post by Ncscootin »

I just bought some M6 x 1 & a half inch bolts it worked find to hold on exhaust I also added a new and exhaust gasket to prevent it from leaking. Now for my new problem I've been doing heat cycles and I decided to write it for 1 mile to break in cylinder but runs poorly and top speed at three-quarter throttle is about 20 mile an hour. Until I get larger intake and carburetor should I put stock exhaust back on? Also since I went from the 80 Main Jet to 205 Main Jet do I need to adjust the needle clip I've already adjusted the air fuel and idle screws on stock carburetor
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth NC:
Also since I went from the 80 Main Jet to 205 Main Jet do I need to adjust the needle clip
I'm going to assume the 205 is a typo? Install the jet, ride and get a feel for the mid-range temps. If it's warm, richen it. If it's gutless and cool, drop the needle - raise the clip.
Wheelman-111
Ncscootin
Noob
Noob

Post by Ncscootin »

105 mj , removed airborne cover ran better, my needle and he has three notches it's in the middle now so I'm going to move it to the top and see performance
Ncscootin
Noob
Noob

Post by Ncscootin »

Airbox...
Ncscootin
Noob
Noob

Post by Ncscootin »

With airborne cover of and needle clip in top groove at 3 mile ride cht temp was 250 f