AF16 Powered "Victoria's Spreecret"

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Re: AF16 Powered "Victoria's Spreecret"

Post by R1Titan911 »

I may have finally found a ruck tree... :worship:

Received some CA air today. Thank you Armstrong1, this thing is in excellent condition and ACTUALLY HAS ALL THE PARTS!!!! Going to re finish it and the rear rack with some white to make that Kriti Blue POP. Reconsidering my original black/pink lip wheel color and might do white/pink lip to bring everything together.

All the hardware including the coupling nut

Tray even still has the locking tabs in tact and clips on to the basket!

R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

I couldn't wait and needed a place to put it :geekdance:

R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

Not to jack your thread R1, but that mismatched tire thing is an excellent thought. If the diameters differ, tilting the bike over means there's a roll-axis twisting force on the frame and quirky handling effects. Yet ALL the sport bikes, indeed every bike I can think of has the skinny front and fat rear tire. Just to get that Look, are we sacrificing Function for Form?
Did more research.
I read that optimal handling is when both tires match. This is of course staying within the boundaries with wheel base, weight, center of gravity, etc. Not like your going to drag knee with 300s front and back, and you would probably low side with some 1" road bicycle tires on a spree lol. Guess i'm just going to have to try it out and see with my matching set.

I went to a skinny tire on my 29er and it handles worse and feels like i'm going to fall over in a corner. I quit hitting the trails and just use it around the community on roads for exercise now. Like I said previously, went fatty on the ruck and also handles worse. Seems as i moved away from that happy medium on each side of the spectrum, where handling is optimal. The ruck handled best with the stock 120/130 set up (though i have never tried it with "matching sizes", nor a skinnyer or fatter scale up or down from stock). Yes 2 different animals but it's #lifeon2wheels...

Slightly wider rear is to get the power to the ground, while the front stays skinny to keep some of the handling aspects. This is the balance that most all bike manufactures use, again staying within the geometry.

Fatty's for looks, drag, & chicks.

I read that in history they used a slightly wider rear tire to stay out of "rut" that the skinny front tire would make, since most roads were dirt way back when.
Last edited by R1Titan911 on Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Got some time to work on the wheels a little today, One side done. Went for something Off-White'ish. Color is Dover White in which I will apply to the basket and rack.

Last edited by R1Titan911 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Eagle 1 Never Dull and Sum Elbow Grease

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Love nev'r dull, works like a champ on old scooter chrome and aluminum. Nice wheels ;D I don't have the af16, but I had to space out my ruck wheel and 90/90 w a washer and offset my shock to keep it from rubbin'.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

benji wrote:I had to space out my ruck wheel and 90/90 w a washer and offset my shock to keep it from rubbin'.
The wheel doesn't rub on the motor for me but I believe I will have to space over the shock. You happen to have a pick of your ruck wheel? I want to see how it looks from each side. Is it off center any?

Got some goods in today. Snagged some parts from mantrans here on HS. Awesome deal, super fast shipping, A+ transaction.
24mm Polini Evo, Big Evo Filter, Jet Kit, Naraku V2 Intake, Yellow Contra, Malossi Torsion Ring... Everything is in excellent condition. If anyone could use this BIG EVO filter send me a PM for sell or trade. I want to run a smaller pod.

Also got in my Ruck triple so it's time to mock it up for the front end swap.

R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Update: Finally got this tree swap going my way. Plan on making a "how to" sticky soon. Sorry for the dragged out build but i don't have the luxury of working on this bike for more then 45 minutes a night lol!

Anyhow.
The Ruck lower race removal was kind of a PITA. I even stuck it in the freezer to cool the shaft and heated up the race with a torch and it still took a few good wacks with a hammer and chisel. What i did to relieve some tension was grind 2 slots in far enough not to get into the shaft to allow for thermal expansion. I even ground a groove on the end to get the chisel tip in to keep it from sliding off when I wacked it with the BFH.

Here is the arrangement (you can still see the ruck lower race on there, the black one lol)
Ruck Triple, Spree Races (brass looking ones), Elite lower (Silver one at the bottom), Elite Bearings (To replace the Spree's LOOSE BALLS)

Lower Ruck Race off with a little crocus cloth treatment.

Old Race for Reference

New Elite Race Installed :rock: Figured i'd "sweat" it on so I stuck the tree in the freezer again, Heated up the race and use piece of 1" SCH40 316L stainless pipe to seat it with a little tap with the hammer. For those who don't understand, the freezer was to shrink the shaft and the heat to expand the race for the ease of installation (Notice the shaft has a larger diameter size where the old race was removed). Heard stories of people just trying to beat it on there and cracking the race... DONT DO THAT LOL.

Next thing i'm going to do tackle is the top nut, spacer, & handle bars. There is no way of getting your threaded top race down to the upper frame race so you have to grind out the threads of the keeper to acquire the 1" ID that is needed to slide down the un-threaded part of the shaft. Like I said, ill make a good marked up sticky for this particular swap, which may apply to many other conversions.
Last edited by R1Titan911 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Looking good my dude, keep up the intresting write up! I may never do the swap but the fact you did and are sharing it with us is right on!
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Image Image
Pics of my ruckus wheel from each side, from what you can see at least haha. With a 90/90 tire, Mine didn't rub the case until I got on it and rode it, there is some flexibility to be accounted for. I think it's a 16mm washer that I used as a spacer. If you can't find one and end up needing one lemme know, I gotta extra I'll mail you.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Sweet benji thanks! :2thumbs:

I think with my S1 tire profile i have a significant amount of room. Was it just your tire rubbing or did the actual lip of the rim rub?

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Just the very edge of the tread on the shock and on the case a bit was all. I didn't notice it while riding but I saw the mark on the tire so I spaced it out to be safe. I haven't noticed it being very off center, but maybe it was a hair. I'm running a custom mount now that doesn't shift the motor(keeps the oem offset) and it seems straight.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

You might be ok, your tire does seem like it has less of a Ridge on the side of the tread. I love the wide look of the ruck wheel, looks like an old hot rod haha. Also I've got a ruckus front brake setup if you need one. I used the sa50 brake w an oem variator boss as a spacer on the front of mine.
Lanemeyer14
BMX
BMX

Post by Lanemeyer14 »

In for updates and triple tree swap :nervous:
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

benji wrote:Also I've got a ruckus front brake setup if you need one. I used the sa50 brake w an oem variator boss as a spacer on the front of mine.
I actually had the whole front ruck assembly, brakes, axle, spacer, etc. From my buddies GY6 Ruck Swap. I was just missing the triple tree because he kept his. I will be getting some new brake pads front and back though. Are the SA50 brakes the ones with the "cooling fins" on it? I like the way those looks better.
Lanemeyer14 wrote:In for updates and triple tree swap
Yea I wallered out the threads on the race nut last night and will be making the spacer sleeve tonight. Just gota get some pics.