my new 88 prebug build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: my new 88 prebug build

Post by benji »

I'm loving the cheap ruima cast bore and technigas pipe so far. Lots of torque, lots of power. I've got some 4.5g weights on the way along w a new athena belt (snapped the old one) and I'm gonna try to change out the 2 puck oem clutch w a 3 puck oem honda 105mm I've got lying around. I think it's the same as a jog 105mm clutch and I've got some springs for that, plus a couple of contras too. I might just order up a cheap clutch and bell and contra from ebay tho. I've got a complete jog 90 107mm clutch but I'd have to cut my case in half to run it, and that means no rain riding so I don't think I'll do that. Oh btw I think I've found the best way to use a foam filter...
Wrap it almost completely in duct tape. Gorilla tape, to be exact. 90 main, 42 idle, oem jet at fattest clip, 16mm mikuni, and it runs good. Too much air even when it's wrapped up like this honestly haha, but it's got a very smooth and linear throttle response. Plus I still haven't gone thru my first tank yet, kind of annoying as I'm not going hard on it yet just cuz but I think I've got 30 miles on it so far plus lots of heat cycles.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I loved the offroading stuff but I'm a street rod guy at heart, I had to lower it haha. I'm thinking of doing a 130/70 on the rear, or maybe doing a mini-fatty. I've got a 10 x 5 atv wheel, just need the expensive adapters to bolt it up. I'm gonna keep an eye out for another zuma or a clone so I can do a adventure bike. Maybe an Eaton beamer or something will pop up. Another prebug would be awesome.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Still waiting to buy one, hoping to find a white one from tun'r or str8 or somebody.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I think I'm gonna order some easyboost motor mounts, it'll stretch it about 3 inches and help w clearances. It doesn't hit or rub anything, but lots of stuff is close to other stuff.
It was a pain mounting the 90/90 on that 3.5" rim, had to use a ratchet strap to get the bead to seat. It woulda been easier if I used a tube instead of going tubeless, but hey its on there. It's backwards tho, so it's gotta come off again haha.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Just got a stiffer contra in the back, a yellow one w red clutch springs. Launches at like 6 grand haha. Real loud but fast, I might swap out the red clutch springs for yellows. Also ground out the vario cover so it fits over the 107mm clutch. Oh, and I've got a 107mm 3-shoe clutch now.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ya, I might just try to make my own mount. The easyboost mount says for vertical minarelli and it looks like it uses some existing holes, but its basically 2 1/4" plates w 3 holes in em. Pretty easy to copy. G9 I'm about to order some stuff from you btw, it's xmas and I want some stuff for me haha. How much of the str8 or tun'r stuff can you get? I'm hoping for some white engine shrouds.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Good way to set the bead is an old truckers trick. Have the compressor ready. Spray something flammable right on tire where it touches the rim all the way around. Then light a paper towel or paper, something with a little reach and use like a torch to catch the tire, poof it'll blow the tire wide open for a short period enough to put the compressor on. Gotta be quick and might take a few tries. I watched a trucker do it. He requested wd-40 but all i had was silicone spray. Took 2 tries but worked like a champ. Pretty impressive on a huge * semi tire.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Oh and hope ur watching ur temp guage cuz running without engine cooling shrouds is risky. Good way to overheat .. All that air from the fan is just blowing right out. Hopefully the cold weather is helping. I been working up near ur area the last few days (everett). And it been colder than a witches tit!
corsa
naruku
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Yasuni C16
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

No temp gauge, but I'm running half a shroud haha. I'm not really riding it except for test runs around the block, too cold haha. I'll be putting the rest of the shroud on someday, I'm just waiting for a white one to pop up. Itll match my clutch cover! I'm probably just gonna give in and buy one from g9
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

That white tranny cover is nice.
corsa
naruku
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Yasuni C16
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I've seen the explosion method on tires before, I used to have a job installing tires when I was a teenager and seen a guy do it.. scary. I used a ratchet strap, but the key I've found is just use a tube instaed of going tubeless. Easiest way to get a seal to seat the bead I've found, just fill it to 10 psi or so and push the bead around til it's on then fill up all the way. I didn't have a tube this time and I was able to get it w the ratchet strap and gas station air but it was hard. I need to buy a compressor.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Is there a place I can go to see the entire str8 or tun'r line? I want all kinds of stuff from em.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I feel ya, accounts and parts sources are what make a small business... and it is a shame they don't have an easily findable site for tun'r or str8, so much random cool stuff!

Btw, I'll pm you about it, but I'm hoping to get a taillight and a white cylinder-side cooling shroud, and can you get any more stage 6 tachs? Your site says your out.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Modified my seat to look a little cooler and be smaller. Image Image
I used grey perforated vinyl as cover material.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I'm waiting for my body panels to show up, probably gonna order a clear euro-style taillight and a low pro rear tire and some gears soon.