More engine problems

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Hollandgriff
Noob
Noob

More engine problems

Post by Hollandgriff »

1986 Honda Spree NQ50
-Installed 75cc big bore with jet and upgraded gearing kit sold by chopshop on ebay
-UNI air filter
-Racing CDI
-OML ignition coil
...basically alot of ebay add ons

still only getting up to 35-40mph flat. Recently it has been having a harddddd time starting but starts easier with fuel additive. Should I upgrade to a bigger polini carb?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: More engine problems

Post by Meatball »

40mph is pretty much all youll ever get out of the single speed tranny of the spree. Only way to go faster is with more rpm's but at 40mph youre basically at its limit. With all that money you invested into hop-up parts, you could've swapped in an Elite motor (or many others) with a variator and go 40 in stock form....then hop-up from there for 50,60 even 70mph in some wild builds.

Just like wanting to go faster on a BMX bike you just have to pedal faster no matter what new sprocket you install. Or you could save your legs by getting a 10-speed and go faster than a BMX will ever go. :wink:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

What cdi did you buy? Its not one of those blue ones from eBay is it? If it is put the stock one back on. Those cheap cdi boxes are horrible they do nothing good from my experience. The only cdi that would be better than stock is somthing like a malossi.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

^^^Agree^^^, I had one of those orange CDI's from eBay, never saw a difference with it, and then a few months later found out that the eBay CDI was what was causing the problem with my spree.......couldn't throw it fast enough into the trash. I even sent a message to the eBayer that sold em saying they were JUNK! So yeah, I'd put your stock one back on, trust us! :)
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Cdi and coil are very good stock, back in the 80s on things like thath Honda put the best into it. I agree on the aftermarket cdi though, mine never ran right on it and would fall flat sometimes.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
1man8scoots
CB900F
CB900F

Post by 1man8scoots »

If this is on a spree you're only 71cc with a 48mm bore.
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I thought it was only 68cc with the BBK.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

graphite9 wrote:a uni filter on a stock carb is asking for a engine breakdown.
This man speaks the truth! I currently have a uni on my stock carb/motor but not without EXTENSIVE tuning. The airflow needs to be massively restricted and back pressure also needs to be added. I also had to upjet the main jet to #90 since it would keep going just a tad lean at wot. Runs good now but still has a bit of a lag on take-offs. 2 weeks of frustration and countless hours of head scratching...I wouldn't recommend it.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.