Building a SpreeDio with Jumps

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Building a SpreeDio with Jumps

Post by MrJumps »

Heres a little back story to my spree, the orgin story lol

Here is the albums these pictures come from>
http://m.imgur.com/a/mJKAY
http://m.imgur.com/a/nwlPC

Its an 1986 honda spree, all orginal, slow, ugly.
I fully rebuilt the thing, road it probably 700 miles or so in only a few months.

Decided I want to spree dio it because I need the power.
First I needed money, so I took a 45% arp loan from the cat.

I brought many o many parts, an af16, gears, pipe, topend. The whole casual buyout.

Look at the meat on that!!! Gross!!!! Needs more meat to fill a man like me. Off to the welder.

Bam! Haha thicc like I like it!

Look at that. Just look at it.

Paint paint paint it up!

Then after it was mounted and all ready to build the more up I ordered the full rebuild kit from chopchop on ebay.

50mm bore
9:1 gearing
Carb and ct mani
The whole lot

With a little copertone suntan lotion love

Shes together haha!

Sanded the ct faces flat and installed it with the included carb from the kit.

Then this is how the bike sat for almost 4 months...

I got my funding back to continue build and got a low millage pg short, keli, clutch from Bonesv in the mail and a new front tire and a few other bits from another user.

Such a pretty motor.

My ride stance is a little to low for my taste but it works out.

I wanted to make my bike stand out a little and decided to use header paint to paint my pretty pg short white.

I did wet sanding between coast on the dinning room table. Hah

Test fitted the bike for looks and added a new headlight and brake light.

This build fought back with airleaks non stop.

I had to pull the bore 5 times trying to get it to seal right and the pipe countless times.

Every air leak is done at this point I have won.

First ride with a 110main and 32 small on a polini 23mm cp that ive switched to after ordering yhe taz kit. I have also put a s1 on the rear and have the clutch set up with blue triplets and I forgot the contra and roller weight.

Plug chop time.

Chocolate brown! Nice!

Celebration haha!

Im gonna keep updating on this build and adding as time goes on. I will be doing more jetting this weekend and adding pictures. I just got my mains in yesterday to upjet. My temps have hit the 350 range and I do not wanna do that again. Bore still looks good on the scope though.

My full parts list to date:
Keli variator
Stock clutch with polini contra and triplets
Bando belt
Tazland 50mm big bore kit
Stock honda crank
9:1 final gearing
Pg short
Str8 bars and clamp
Halogen headlight
Led stop light taped to the back rack
S190/90 on the rear and a kenda 2.75 on the front
Oil pump plug
1986 honda spree

I would also like to give a big thanks to the community for the parts, tips, tricks, and all the other stuff etc...etc they have done for me.
Last edited by MrJumps on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 10 times in total.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Lanemeyer14
BMX
BMX

Re: Building a SpreeDio with Jumps

Post by Lanemeyer14 »

:rock:
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Glad to see thread photos instead of links :imo:

I'd like to see what you did with the rear shock mount.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Just a link for a few minutes then ill resize and embed
Last edited by MrJumps on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Nice, you just drill a bolt through the frame? Or weld one on?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

R1Titan911 wrote:Nice, you just drill a bolt through the frame? Or weld one on?
Drilled, sometimes bolts will crack if you weld them./ be careful if you do and test it well.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Nice photos dude, your cat is pretty awesome for loaning you some credits ;)

What did you end up doing with the original carb that came with Taz's kit?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Ultraliner wrote:Nice photos dude, your cat is pretty awesome for loaning you some credits ;)

What did you end up doing with the original carb that came with Taz's kit?
I sold it to PatTheSoundGuy for imperial candian credits. He is using it, I belive on his spreedio.

I enjoy the polini much more though, uses a waaaaay smaller jet and idle so nice. I never could get the oko to even idle.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

MrJumps wrote:Drilled, sometimes bolts will crack if you weld them./ be careful if you do and test it well.
Yea I burned out my own plates on the plasma similar to SSS's. Welding it in later this week.

Now time to update your yuotube vids with more RIDES!
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

R1Titan911 wrote:
MrJumps wrote:Drilled, sometimes bolts will crack if you weld them./ be careful if you do and test it well.
Yea I burned out my own plates on the plasma similar to SSS's. Welding it in later this week.

Now time to update your yuotube vids with more RIDES!

I would sujest buying the shock mount and brace from g9, thats honestly thr saftest and best bet for a mild af16 swap if your gonna go hard stroker power house weld in a stiffner bar between the bars and gas tank. The bike actually flexs alot right there. Especially if you are over the intended like 160lbs weight limit. Maybe add up some slider bars too, normally the stock blinkers act as sliders but the motor can still smach the pavement. Im one of those people that wrecks their bike and only worries about the damage to the bike. Lol.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

MrJumps wrote:I would sujest buying the shock mount and brace from g9, thats honestly thr saftest and best bet for a mild af16 swap if your gonna go hard stroker power house weld in a stiffner bar between the bars and gas tank.
Yea I made mine kind of like G9s, I was inspired by the design :naughty: . I will be making a frame gusset and drag brace probably just out of pipe.

Yes, I am way over 160 LBS lol (220 to be exact) so I hope to benefit from the Ruck front end and rear Malossi RS.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Well big update here. Bad news.

This happened when the coil fell off on this ride.

https://youtu.be/MYJ9IEWPfl4

The coil pulled down on the spark plug and ripped the plug out a few threads, I tried to rethread the head twice with no success. It dropped metal into my bore when it was still reving down and one of them is stuck between the bore and piston. So its time for a new bore and I haven't even driven 10 miles yet on this bike. I have also decided that the tazland kit isnt for me. Ive had issues with it and I know what im doing decently and its just been a challneg airleak wise. Ive used torque specs from honda and it needs to be 4lbs tighter from my own time finding this out to the point that if you try to reuse the stock bolts it rips the threads out or you risk stripping the threas with the post. The plug was physically either blown or ripped out the head a few threads. I know for a fact that it was not threaded in wrong or * sidewards. My last issue ive had with the bore is that the bore has a massive boost port im not taking the advantage of. You can run those bores with the stock boost port but you loose major power. Why would I want that? Ive decided to go with the mallossi cast 72cc sport. This with the pg short, mk2 stage 6 clutch, keli vari, and a 23mm cp should make 10hp or so and have tourquey and responsive throttle. The boost on the bore is more suited for my stock block, the head is an oring and not metal gasket and the ports on the bore are meant for a stock block af18, but with the af16 I am not far behind it. It also offers a higher rev limit than the taz bore and will allow me to open my gears a little more. I did successfully run 1 run on the 50mm bore kit and I was passing cars in a 45-50 zone like they were standing still. Its not a bad bore, it is just more advanced. I need a more slap on bore that I can easily tune too. There is a few mebers on here that can tell me what they run exactly and my parts are just like theirs that I belive I could tune the bike within a week. I am looking forward to the new build. This is why I had to dump the scorpian pipe idea on the spree, my spreedio comes first, the bbk spree will run fine with a stock pipe.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Question, how old is your torque wrench? These things have to be calibrated or replaced after a certain amount of time/uses. Also, they have to be stored a particular way by putting it back to the lowest adjustment each time or again, it can put it out of calibration. You may already know these things but if not, it's just food for thought :thumbwink:
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I brought a brand new one from autozone and used it once after my dad shpwed me how to use and did the work for me. He used to work on emgines when he was my age and has built some crazy motors before. He was pretty mad when the torqued bolts down to find out that the bolts where still cause an airleak.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Where were the leaks? At the base or head? Maybe the heads warped? Also, when I had my exhaust spaced out, I noticed it would put stress on the bore and actually twist it if I went too far... Maybe your exhaust is off causing a base gasket leak?