Anyone do a Metro motor swap into a Spree?

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Anyone do a Metro motor swap into a Spree?

Post by Meatball »

I have a donor 06' Metro at my disposal. How tough would it be to swap into a Spree? Would I be able to use the Spree gastank/petcock system to deliver fuel? Seems like everything else is plug'n'play except for maybe getting creative with the motor mount. Any info would be helpful before I attempt the swap, thx.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Re: Anyone do a Metro motor swap into a Spree?

Post by Meloshameless »

Going from 2 stroke to 4 stroke is always a horrible idea. Unless its being made for a reluctant female an thats the only way to get her on a bike...
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I mean if you really want to do it then that right on its always neat to see a build the owner wants but with the ecu and wiring its gonna be reliable but a slow mama jama.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

MrJumps wrote: a slow mama jama.
They do 42-43 in bone stock form. Theres also a ton of aftermarket Ruckus parts that fit this motor and vari so I can tweak it to make it enjoyable. I know its water cooled but the radiator is actually incorporated into the motor on the side near the fan. So theres no weird radiator mount ideas into the knee shield with coolant hoses everywhere like Ive seen. The ECU is tiny and could really be tucked/mounted anywhere hidden. Only question would be the floor mounted gas tank. I need to try and use the Spree tank. Suppose I could just remove the petcock and just go with hose and an inline filter....hmmm

Yeah yeah. I know...4-stroke is lame but ive always said: if something falls in your lap, try to make it dance! :naughty:
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Can you messure the petcock size?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/FOR-Honda-Vintage ... ING_ACTIVE

Ive been eyeing this up for a while, wondering if it would fit. That with a inline fikter should work. Then you have to cap off the fuel pump system, ive heard of guys deleting it before idk if it is as easy as capping the nipple off or if you have to do something else. But if you think the ecu and wiering wont be too much to handle with on a spree frame then I would say if you have a spree and met harness go for it. Weld up the mounts, clean the motor up and mod it out. Slap it into the frame then buy wire, climps, eltrical tape, a cheap soidering iron and solder and go to work on the bike. * you could have push start reliability in a spree. Now I would also look into either if you can weld yourself, taking the origional spree tank and enlarging it or making a new tank. I want to see someone enlarge a tank to where the battery is or remove the battery box and bring the tank back that far. You would probably have a 2 gallon tank maybe 3 if you got fancy on a spree, that would get you about as far to a tank as a stock met and you can use the sending unit on a stock spree to moniter gas amounts.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I was thinking of a custom tank. Yeah, I know itd be expensive as heII but to remove the oil reservoir and use that space with a larger tank. Youd probably get a 1 gallon tank after its all done and getting 100mpg on the Met motor would seriously increase your per-tank travel distance. Relocating the battery and making the tank even larger would be even better. Need to find someone that's handy with a tig welder.
Last edited by Meatball on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Theres a thread of a guy who made a tank out of some random stuff and mounted it to his bike and he got like 3 gallons of fuel on his bike over all.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

OK, the met-spree swap is not happening. The mounts are completely different. Youd have to perform miracles to get it to hook up. I now have an 06' Met in the garage and its in the tear-down phase. This is a totally different animal than the 80's-90's Sprees and Elites. I have my work cut-out for me to get it going.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Im gonna need a Red Bull for this one....
Attachments
met1.JPG
met1.JPG (158.53 KiB) Viewed 9800 times
met2.JPG
met2.JPG (146.73 KiB) Viewed 9800 times
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

For those that haven't had much experience on a Met (me) the bolt you see just below the cross member is the motor mount point. Im still trying to figure out the braking system, how you pull one handbrake and it squeezes both front/rear brakes but the other handbrake only pulls one. If anyone has a link to the Service Manual for the CHF50 Id really be grateful.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Off topic question, was the bike wrecked really bad causing it to be a parts bike? If you you need to break it down more and inspect welds to be safe. Also thats not too bad pretty together still.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I think this is gonna work out great, the spree is so light this motor should be overkill for it. I'm watching this one.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The bike definitely spent some time horizontal on both sides. Plastics are trashed as well as turn signals, brake levers, etc. I look past all that surface damage and see a decent bike underneath. Once I assess the cost of all parts needed to get this back together, I'll make the decision on whether its worth making that journey.

Still need to drain all the fluids from the motor, coolant system and fuel tank and replace with fresh. Get new plug and air filter. Add battery then hard-wire the ignition and see if she'll crank.

This being a 2006, its old AND new enough that theres plenty of used parts out there and everything is still available from Honda.

Not sure how the powers that be feel about a Metro thread lingering around the site. I really wasn't looking to buy one when I bought it but I figured Id give it a shot since I got it for almost nothing.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

Looks lke you got everything there for a front end swap too! :geekdance:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Meatball wrote: Not sure how the powers that be feel about a Metro thread lingering around the site.
This is a scooter forum. I don't think there are "powers that be", and if there are then they don't have much power haha.

Do what you want to it, ignore the purist complaints if they come.