Anyone do a Metro motor swap into a Spree?

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Anyone do a Metro motor swap into a Spree?

Post by benji »

^^yup n they get 100 mpg. And you can get a ruckus to 50 or so with mods.
Spruckus
Goped
Goped

Post by Spruckus »

its actually not hard at all with a little mount fab. as far as the metro ecu and wiring it will fit in between the seat latch and the gas tank once the oil tank is removed. I did a ruckus engine with a met harness and ecu I had to run a few wires up to the front for brake switches and starter button. make sure you beef up the frame a bit too and a drag bar is in my opinion needed
mine will do 51mph reliably but I also swapped a gy6 50 front end with disc brake for added safety
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I don't think this Met will be swapped into anything but a landfill. I popped off the belt cover when I was tearing it down and gallons of water came pouring out. Then I saw THIS!!!!!
Attachments
met rust1.JPG
met rust1.JPG (106.03 KiB) Viewed 7409 times
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

A little rustoleum will take care of this, eh? :bowrofl:

That's what I get for buying a bike from a crackhead for $32! I salvaged the stem, wheels and a few other odds n ends. Scrapped the rest. Even the gears weren't savable.
Attachments
met rust 2.JPG
met rust 2.JPG (160.12 KiB) Viewed 7409 times
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Split the block and sand blast it and your cases will look like new
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

I'd have it acid dipped. If you have a place around that does this, they'll usually do it for you pretty cheap.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I guess youd have look at the bigger picture. By the time I strip everything down, sandblast it, replace all moving parts like crank, bearings, radiator, carb internals, gears, tranny parts, etc etc etc....id have $1000 into it plus 100's of hours of time/labor. This motor just isn't worth it. Fully running complete metro's with title are $700-$900 all day long with low miles. Im not rebuilding something rare or one-of-a-kind like a 69' Corvette ZL-1...its just a run of the mill 06' Met. Theres thousands of them out there for cheap.

Rather buy something like THIS and just do a bit of cosmetic work....done deal
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/5896423980.html
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

The assortment of color panels on that metro on the craigslist ad that you reference raises a red flag for me.. The VIN sticker on CHF50s is on the plastic leg shield instead of on the frame. Before buying that one, I'd check that the VIN on the title matches both the sticker on the red leg shield, and also the VIN number stamped into the frame under the spark plug access cover.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Im not in the market for a met, it was just an example of the availability and cost of them in my area. When I tore down a met to its bones I noticed they hide a vin number in a few spots. I believe I counted 3 total with the leg shield being one of them. There is also one stamped on the frame but you have to dig deep for it.

You always have to take into account that the miles recorded on any bike can be bypassed by simply disconnecting the speedo cable. I bought a bike with 2500mi on the dash but the guy says he had ridden it for years with the speedo not working. Its also possible to just swap the entire gauge cluster with a lower mileage one or even rolling back the numbers. I saw a guy on Ebay offering his services to roll back your speedo to 0000 for you after you do a motor swap so I know it can be done.

The way I see it, it doesn't matter if the bike has 200 or 20,000 miles on it. If it runs, it runs.....ride it like you stole it! :2thumbs:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Or like you bought it from some one who stole it...
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

I worked on a 2013 met, cool bike, but double the weight of a spree. And yeah, with the ECU and motor mount setup, there's really no way it would work in a spree, sadly. I would tear the rest of that met down (if you haven't already) and sell the parts on eBay use the money towards other projects. :)
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The Met is already gone to its final resting place. Anything that was usable (not much) was stripped and the rest was junk. The stem/forks and wheels were the only things I'll actually be using. The rest was stuff like grips, rear shock, brake levers, bulbs, etc. Always good to have random spare parts laying around just in case.