87 SE50 "Elite S" project..piece by piece

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 87 SE50 "Elite S" project..piece by piece

Post by benji »

The extra gas is cooling the cylinder walls. At idle, there's not alot of air moving and not alot of fuel so it can get kinda warm not moving just idling. When you rev it up after its been idleing, you throw extra gas on the cylinder walls and you spin the fan faster, immediately stepping up the cooling effects of both. I bet if you kept it running at that higher rpm for a little while longer the temp might creep back up.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

So im experiencing a tuning issue figuring out this pilot. Idles best with the #32 pilot which is the smallest there is. I have my air/fuel screw turned out 3 full turns but still getting a rich result. When I blip the throttle from idle it bogs and dies giving the indication of being rich. I can slowly twist the grip and get it to rev out as high as I want but its only when I go wot from idle is when it bogs.

This tells me to either turn the mixture screw out more or switch to a lower pilot. Unfortuantely, my screw is already 3 turns out and the pilot is at #32 already! Also, Im running a pod filter so its not restricted at all by the airbox of any kind. I have the Naraku Intake so the theres no restrictions there either. Pipe is a Slick Willy so I know this things is breathing well at every possible point from beginning to end. Carb is Polini CP 21mm. Any suggestions?
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

What is your main jet and where is your needle set?
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Your probably lean w a 32 pilot and 100 main w a pod filter.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Try moving your needle clip down a couple notches
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Sorry I didn't provide needle info. My needle is at the bottom clip. It was another attempt at getting out of the rich zone. But really, from 1/4-3/4 throttle the response is immediate. Once I feather it to 1/4 throttle, I blip the grip to wot and the rpm's jump instantly with zero lag. Sounds very healthy in that range, probably lean actually, like I need to raise the needle.

My problem is just from idle. It doesn't like to go from idle to wot or even 1/2 throttle without bogging. I always have to feather it to 1/4 throttle before I can let it rip.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Hit a wall with this tuning. Still revs up to 7500 and holds. Wont go a click faster even bombing a hill. Pilots, needle position, mix screw all make no change in temps, rpms or throttle response from 0-3/4 throttle. Is it Rich? Lean? Who knows! It doesn't bog like its rich...and the temps have never been over 280 even while holding wot climbing a huge hill.

Oh, and I removed the "air brake" screw from the carb. I figured it would put it way lean...no change.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

You might be thinking of your needle adjustment backwards. The top position (farthest from the pointed tip) is lean, not rich.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

benji wrote:You might be thinking of your needle adjustment backwards. The top position (farthest from the pointed tip) is lean, not rich.
Im not. The higher up the needle sits (clip on bottom notch) the more fuel is able to enter from the atomizer....richer.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Yup. I must have read wrong.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I still think your lean. You do any plug chops?
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

My af05 w bbk was running a 38 or 40 pilot I think
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Try turning that air screw back in to 1.5 turns out and put that needle in the middle. Start there and make one adjustment at a time. Annoying i know. And slow tuning. But having the air screw that far out making it lean then the needle all the way up making it rich seems like 2 opposing forces. Also that bog when going from 1/4 to wot means lean. Like lean pilot. Or just from air screw so far out. Id try fastest first by turning scre in, try wot again, if no change, bump the pilot up to 34, then 36 etc until it gets worse, then step back dowm one size. Good luck.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

and while your at it, swap them philips-head carb bowl bolts out with some stainless hex allen head bolts. So many philips heads get stripped as many times as you have to take the bowl on and off :naughty:
vintagegarage
Elite
Elite

Post by vintagegarage »

Everyone should have several of these, and you will stop stripping out the heads of carb bowl bolts.. yes, a bit expensive, but it will be the best tool in your box:

https://www.wihatools.com/3k-anti-camou ... rewdrivers

What you want is part # 46812. You might as well start by buying two of them, because once you use it, you will want more.. I think I have 5 of them.