Junk2Race 3week Frame-Up Build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Junk2Race 3week Frame-Up Build

Post by burnt_toast »

Hey folks. Been a while now since I've built something cool. Plan to change that very soon. In 3weeks soon actually! As I am embarking on a full frame up-build for an upcoming scooter rally. MightyCarMods and Roadkill on Youtube are my inspirations for the type of build this will hopefully turn out to be. :rock:

Its a Yamaha Jog based platform, but will feature a conglomerate of Honda and other parts. Basic concept will be to keep it cheap and repurpose whatever leftover spare parts I have laying around, performance or otherwise. Will also have something special that ive never tried on any of my previous projects. :wink:

Officially started at 8am on Saturday 2days ago, and so far have made decent progress considering the decrepid carcass of a scooter I'm starting off with hah. Will have the weekend's updates in a follow up post.

Stay tuned, as I will keep yall posted on my progress and pitfalls. Wish for more of the former, and not the later. Looking forward to taking on this challenge! 8) cheers

Last edited by burnt_toast on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
projects galore :nerd:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3week Frame-Up Junker Race Build

Post by noiseguy »

Looking forward to seeing it.

You finally buy a big wheel bike?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

noiseguy wrote:Looking forward to seeing it.

You finally buy a big wheel bike?
Oh ya. Was riding a Honda 599 (naked CBR600) for a while, and now on a Yammy FZ6. partially explains my scooter absense :peace:

As promised here's some of that weekend progress:

1st order of business is getting a workable bottom-end. this motor has seen a lot of time uncovered outside apparently, and with a completely frozen crank outlook seemed bleak. piston was fuzed to bore too, bonus. try as I might to free things up, I got nowhere and ended up smashing my index finger with a hammer. Swelled up like a summer sausage and hurt like *. First setback.. ugh

Luckily, I got a lead on a nearby backup and in short order (2hrs later) managed to source another jog based donor: A mostly complete yamaha vino that has also weathered some outside time, but kicks over!=spinning crank. So there is hope. Scooped the whole thing up, just in case. More spare parts! Thanks to Jason at The Motorcycle Shop for this one.

Rest of the weekend consisted of pulling engine #2 and thoroughly flushing the bottom end of any junk, plus degreasing rest of the motor and prepping intake surface (no before pic, sry).

Additionally, the stock top end received the same treatment. Cleanse and prep to running condition. Gorilla epoxy'd the cracked stock intake mani, and pieced together a leftover 17mm Vento carb. Vino uses funky dual pull throttle, no bueno. I repurposed a stock spree cable using a hammer (being mindful of my hurt finger..) hacksaw and locking pliers. Seems like it'll work the slide! even if its only for a test. These things will come into play for Goal#2
(^no pics of this yet, will add)

Next up:
Goal#1 is to achieve spark. Crossing fingers stator n electrics are intact.
Goal#2 is to get it to run, in stock form and assess how well crank operates. Greatly hope to be able to use existing bearings, as splitting cases and deeper engine work will delay progress almost guaranteed.
Last edited by burnt_toast on Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xxbeejay45xx
Elite
Elite

Post by Xxbeejay45xx »

That is awesome! Lots of photos! :popcorn:
95 Elite SR af16e
72cc Polini Corsa
28 Oko Carb 58/144
Ported intake
ZX Trans
Polini vari, clutch, springs
5.5 rollers
Malossi crank , CDI
Genuine Arrow pipe
Front and Rear disc brakes
Dio Live headset
Stretch and fatty rear wheel
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Made some more progress on Tuesday night.

Here's some of the above mentioned items: custom spree throttle cable, cleaned up stock top end, vento 17mm carb and epoxy'd-cracked vino intake

Next up was reassembly. Took this time to evaluate piston pin size, make sure performance piston will fit. On hand oversize kit piston uses 10mm pin. Jog style motors come with 10mm or 12mm top end bearings. If it was the 12mm I would require a 10 to 12 conversion bearing, or a 12mm piston swap. Luckily, in my case both use 10mm pin. Looks good! (angle of pic makes them look off, but they are in fact both 10mm. verified with caliper)

Test fitted the performance cylinder at this time too. Also looks promising! Will save the reveal on this one for a little later ;)

After, buttoned everything back up and swapped motor back into frame.
Fingers crossed, time to test for spark.. :nervous:

Nice little blue arc. Success! Goal#1 achieved. Whew, yay for no electrical gremlins. :o

Been working late, so finding spare time and energy for this has been tricky. But if all goes as planned, will try to sort out fueling system tonight and shoot for Goal#2!
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

burnt_toast wrote:Made some more progress on Tuesday night.
Nice little blue arc. Success! Goal#1 achieved. Whew, yay for no electrical gremlins. :o
You know how many attempts I made trying to get a picture of the blue arc for one of my CL ads :twisted: HAHA! :popcorn: I SWEAR IT HAS SPARK AND IT RUNS! CASH ONLY NO TRADES! :nervous:
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

R1Titan911 wrote:
burnt_toast wrote:Made some more progress on Tuesday night.
You know how many attempts I made trying to get a picture of the blue arc for one of my CL ads :twisted: HAHA! :popcorn: I SWEAR IT HAS SPARK AND IT RUNS! CASH ONLY NO TRADES! :nervous:
hahaha ya it wasnt easy. had my mom take shots set to burst-continuous mode, while i kicked over. 2times worth, out of each 30shot burst, 1-3 managed to show spark. then filtered the clearest one :lol:

wkend update:
Goal #2 met! Got mix-matched carb, auxiliary fuel cell, and hella ghetto throttle cable to jive together and fire up. Even managed to ride up and down the street a few times. GPS'd at a stock top speed of 35mph on flat. Nothing spectacular, but she works!

Beyond that, I scored a few more key good from a fellow scooter buddy. Will unveil these in next post, promise :P
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 3week Frame-Up Junk2Race Build

Post by burnt_toast »

Some of the upgrades to come 8)

Now with Youtube video!

LC Cyl test fit, from earlier in stock-rebuild

Making progress on front-end disk/shock swap, and ordered a slew of parts.
Lot's more to go as I'm eclipsing the 1.5wk halfway point..
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Are you using that vining motor?
motormike

Post by motormike »

benji wrote:Are you using that vining motor?

...did you mean "VINO".........?
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

I did.... stupid phone correcting me haha
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

the fun continues :geekdance:

let me see you strip.. lmao

sheered handlebar mount bolts. got 2/4 out with heat and supaduty vice grips. 2 more to go!

bottom fork tube neck comparison, note larger on cpi frame=larger lower bearing race

side by side triple tree & fork comparo, sorta

At this point I had things scattered all over and was tripping over my tools. finally p'd me off so i decided to do a full on garage cleanup & reorganize. spent bulk of thur, fri nights and sat morning to do this.

in progress, yowza :shock:

clean floor and tools accessible. much better!

is that a pipe sticking out my backpack or am i just happy to see u, errr.. whaa
gotta love riding my 600cc sportbike to pick up an exhaust for my 50cc scooter :lol:

Latest updates from Sunday in Youtube vid#2:
https://youtu.be/_ew-NH3EGBM

:peace:
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

What bike is that disc fork from?
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

1: I gotta headset from a tng Venice you can use i think. It should work, looks just like that one and works on my prebug zuma.
2: I got 2 tanks, one plastic and one metal. I have 2 tng Venice parts bikes, I have a feeling ones a real vino tho.
3: I have an intake from a cpi shortcase motor, clone of a jog motor.

If you want/need this stuff, lemme know. Pay for shipping n it's yours.
R1Titan911
Elite
Elite

Post by R1Titan911 »

PROGRESS! Good job :popcorn: