How has your repaint held up?

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

UltimaRatioRegum
Noob
Noob

How has your repaint held up?

Post by UltimaRatioRegum »

There's a lot of information about just finished repaints, but for those of you that have repainted your Spree how has it stood up now that some time has elapsed and it has been subjected to use? Did the paint adhere well? Did it fade? Was it sufficiently resistant to wear and gas/oil? What would you do different?

I am faced with repainting my 1984 Spree and I will do it myself using spray cans. I have looked extensively at the issues surrounding the mix of ABS (most parts) and polyethelene (footboards and inner fenders), and the fact each plastic has it's own needs. I have researched use of adhesion promoters, using ABS cement to fill in cracks and scrapes, the endless debate about whether flex agents are required for todays paints, etc. I have looked at merits of Dupli Color, Krylon Fusion, PPG paints, and so on. I have even looked into vinyl wrapping. So I have read up on restorations and rebuilds, and I am an experienced rattle can painter, just not plastics. I would appreciate any advice gleaned from experience. Thanks!
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: How has your repaint held up?

Post by eclark5483 »

I paint motorcycles professionally for a living, in fact, I really need to get going to work here in a bit so I don't have time to cover many of the bases right now, but I do have some suggested reading on one of the other forums I frequent. The topic can be found here:

http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/1 ... ting-moped

Read through that, and you'll be painting like a pro.
UltimaRatioRegum
Noob
Noob

eclark5483 wrote:I paint motorcycles professionally for a living, in fact, I really need to get going to work here in a bit so I don't have time to cover many of the bases right now, but I do have some suggested reading on one of the other forums I frequent. The topic can be found here:

http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/thread/1 ... ting-moped

Read through that, and you'll be painting like a pro.
Thanks! That post was indeed one I read doing my research - it's full of excellent advice for doing the job right and I have it bookmarked in my "how-to" list. There are lots of how-tos; I am trying to find out more about the post-project experience of other amateur rattle can enthusiasts that have already done it using whatever technique, materials and tools they individually chose.
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

Hi. Enamel is good durable paint. base coat clear coat is also durable and will give you the best shine. Gl.
Here's a look at base coat clear coat paint.
Attachments
20170722_012437.jpg
20170722_012437.jpg (141.68 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
20170722_012231.jpg
20170722_012231.jpg (179.45 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ
UltimaRatioRegum
Noob
Noob

CB900F - That looks sweet! What paints did you use? Did you use an adhesion promoter?
Thanks!
ped
CB900F
CB900F

Post by ped »

UltimaRatioRegum wrote:CB900F - That looks sweet! What paints did you use? Did you use an adhesion promoter?
Thanks!
hi. here's a link to the paint. viewtopic.php?f=20&t=34540 :wink:
Life's a trip enjoy the ride.
94 elite SR, 86 spreedio, polini corsa, keli variator, 8.4, jet. speed 65 mph
spreedio video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZr46_-douQ