Need Opinions on My Endeavor

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

lymbic
Noob
Noob

Need Opinions on My Endeavor

Post by lymbic »

I’ve recently picked up my first two scooters. An 86 Spree (Iowa) and an 87 Elite 50S.

https://imgur.com/a/MvlFx4x

The Spree sat in a barn for about 30 years and humidity got the best of it. The gas tank was rusted out and needed to be replaced and the transmission needed to be rebuilt (bearings, seals, gaskets). I have no idea what shape the engine is in, but didn't want to get too far into rebuilding a drivetrain that was restricted to 25mph. So, the original plan was to get an unrestricted AF05.

This weekend I picked up the Elite S with the engine I was looking for. It runs great, but all the plastics are pretty beat - especially the rear panels which won’t stay on while riding. New battery, tires, and cables too.

My real crossroads is that I love the front panel and fender on my Spree, and really dislike the front panel of the Elite. However, I don’t see the point in dismantling a perfectly functional scooter. If I don't swap the engine into the Spree, I'm going to fabricate my own front panel and fender out of thin gauge metal to be somewhat reminiscent of the Spree. Has anyone done this or even run the elite naked? I’m sure I’m going to get burned on this, but I need some input here.

Other things to consider:

Spree
Has mirrors and blinkers
Seat is in great shape, but won’t fit the Elite
Frame has some rust
Wiring is likely going to have some problems thanks to corrosion

Elite
No mirrors, but they look like they can be swapped over from the Spree
Have rear fender with blinkers, but it is broken off
No front blinkers
Seat is torn up
High/Low beam toggle is snapped off, probably still functional
Frame doesn't have any rust
All electrical connections look clean
motormike

Re: Need Opinions on My Endeavor

Post by motormike »

I am surprised that you don't like the front of the Elite when the 87 Elite is one of the most sought after model in some markets.
My personal opinion is that Spree is a total waste of time.
Trying to fashion a front-end body out of sheet metal would likely prove to be
a daunting and un-fruitful exercise.
Not sure how I would go about trying to make something work with those two scooters.
If you are IN LOVE with Spree that much, swap the Elite motor.
Seems like that is the direction that will make you happy.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
lymbic
Noob
Noob

Post by lymbic »

motormike wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:45 pm I am surprised that you don't like the front of the Elite when the 87 Elite is one of the most sought after model in some markets.
My personal opinion is that Spree is a total waste of time.
Trying to fashion a front-end body out of sheet metal would likely prove to be
a daunting and un-fruitful exercise.
Not sure how I would go about trying to make something work with those two scooters.
If you are IN LOVE with Spree that much, swap the Elite motor.
Seems like that is the direction that will make you happy.
You said what I hoped I wouldn't hear, but needed to hear :lol: . The Spree was in the family so I hoped to make it whole again - oh well. We'll keep the Elite untouched for now while we get some miles on it. A little bit of research and inspiration and we'll be back here updating on the builder's workshop
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

It is convenient that theb1987 Elite engine bracket isbthe Perfect starting point to adapt the SE05 Ejgine to the Spree frame!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH