Af16 Assistance / Build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Af16 Assistance / Build

Post by nateberrier »

I want to do a mild build on an AF16 that I picked up this summer.

It currently runs, but there is a leak from mr crank seal. I have a new one ready to press in. Cant see anything leaking on the stator side. The thing is just a turd though. I bought an NCY / V8 style pipe for it and it did nothing good really, but I think the engine just needs built up again. Thats fine. I traded for an AF05 pipe in the meantime.

I want to run a Contessa because i can get one for like 130 bucks and thats pretty impressive IMO.

I figure I might as well do gears while im at it, but not 100% sure which ones are going to be the best trade off. Im NEVER going to ride this on the highway, but having the ability to do more than 45 from time to time would be coolio. I assume 9.8:1 would be best?

Ive read different threads talking about redline on different bores. I would like to get a pipe that lines up with this well. I think it was harleyracer that linked me to an ebay pipe that looks nice, but I dont really know where it turns on or what to expect in that regard. I wanna make sure I have a pipe that pairs well.

Intake Manifold I dont suppose it matters a while lot, but I thought about getting a stage6 or something nice, though it looks like treats has a few options that are cheaper.

Ive seen it mentioned a few times to get a Polini 24 for the carb. Dunno if anyone has opinions there.

Would it be worth it to do ZX trans also? Where would I get parts?
1986 Aero White -- Stock With Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af05 Malossi BBK + Keli Var
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
Wheelman-111

Re: Af16 Assistance / Build

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Polini contessa is a good kit. No need for gears shorter than 9:1, even a stock 50cc can pull those over 45MPH. Mine with stock carb And exhaust will do 50 upwind all day. Welcome to the madness. BTW sometimes seals fail because they are old. Sometimes it is a bad bearing or wobbly crank. Check.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Wheelman-111 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:38 am Greetings:

Polini contessa is a good kit. No need for gears shorter than 9:1, even a stock 50cc can pull those over 45MPH. Mine with stock carb And exhaust will do 50 upwind all day. Welcome to the madness. BTW sometimes seals fail because they are old. Sometimes it is a bad bearing or wobbly crank. Check.
Ill check it out, hopefully its not wobbly, but ill pull the head and spin it around. I do remember the boss being cut and causing the drive face to wobble but yEAH, crossing my fingers. I wouldnt be opposed to installing a crank but would be nervous and obviously would change build considerations
1985 Aero Red -- Af16 Corsa / Fabrizi Pipe / Polini 24 PWK / Athena Stuffer Crank
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Update:

I went to go clean up the engine and double check the crank before installing the contessa I ordered earlier that day.

I looked at the magneto side and it looks completely dry and healthy. The variator side has been leaking for some time. Its a mess in the crank cover.

My buddy and I got the bike for 200 bucks and parted it out, he wanted the plastics, and I wanted the engine among other things. When I first swapped the engine, I saw the leak and didnt think too much of it, I was excited to have a running af16!

First thing I had to do was get a new boss because the stock one was sawzall'd off and causing the driven face to rotate crooked. Brandon Saylor mentioned that it could bend the crank if left like that.

I checked, and put a zip tie against the case and held it still while rotating the crank, it appeared to push on the tie and looked like it was letting oil through as well as not being true in the crank seal.

At that point, I stopped cleaning it up as now Im faced with installing a new crank and putting the case in the dish washer / steam cleaning with the halves apart is probably easier.

I have ordered crank installation / removal tools for small motors. It seems like it should work well. Im going to try and get the case apart tonight.

New athena stuffer crank, polini bearings, and corsa are all on the way now. I also ordered some secondary gears since itll be apart anyway.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Youre in deep now...next is CHT and rpm gauge...then intake/carb/air filter...then exhaust...then...embrace the sickness as it takes your soul.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

I started the full tear down today, but was stopped short due to wrong size flywheel puller.

I tried to use my case puller but shes too strong!

I may do some youtube videos to show how this is all done since its taken me a while to get my peanut brain around it.

I didnt get close ups cause i figured it would be hard to show but the crank is def wobbling about 1mm or so and opening/closing a gap in the crank seal.

Proper flywheel puller is coming today or tomorrow along with a tripod. My wife works on the weekend so I may have a full day of garage time to get some dents made! Also I found a good exhaust

nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

And here's the exhaust that i bought on impulse. Should work well with the corsa

Now I just need carb/intake/ and gauges. I thought about going full trailtech vapor but also kinda wanna just save some money as Ill probably be 1000 into this when its all done.
sum_azn_kid
Goped
Goped

Post by sum_azn_kid »

Awsome old school pipe. Cant wait to see what she will do with a corsa. :thumbsup:
Super Dio ZX "Ube"
72 corsa
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

sum_azn_kid wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:35 am Awsome old school pipe. Cant wait to see what she will do with a corsa. :thumbsup:
trafficjamz is apparently who I bought it from, was on facebook but he enlightened me haha
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

:peace: yeah that's a nice pipe
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

Update Time:

I plan on making some youtube videos of the case coming apart and subsequently going back together, but I need some time to learn and sit down so hopefully it gets cold and gross out soon.

I made some hyperlapse videos because its easy so here you go on that one. Just me scrubbing mr crank case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo8aT3eXqiQ

I started off splitting the case and removing the shaft. Figured it would be easier to clean it after I take it apart. I did learn a hard lesson, and I am lucky I didnt break anything. Dont install the case puller to the variator side of the crankcase. I basically pounded the bearing into the case on the other side. DUMB DUMB DUMB. Once I got my azz in gear, it came right apart, then just gave the other side a couple bumps with the hammer.

DONT DO THIS. bolt into the alt side...

IDIOCY

Coming apart despite my stupidity

MR SHAFT AND BEARINGS, WELCOME TO MY PARTY

Got it pretty clean, stopped for the day and stopped caring about it being perfect after that. I try to do most of this stuff when the wife isnt home, that way we can do stuff both of us enjoy, instead of me being greasy in the garage.

New athena crankshaft among other things came in the mail. Polini Bearings. Got them in the freezer ready for the weekend.

I bought a torque wrench from HF, and it was DOA, so my first jug on my AF05 is just uggadugga'd on which i hate but it worked fine so whatever.

This time I have too much money and effort in this thing, so i went to HF and got myself a nice digital 3/4 torque wrench.

I cleaned the gaskets off and used a whetstone to rub them super clean and flat. Thanks to HF for that one too.

I laid out my case bolts ready to go in, got two tanks of propane, and set to work.

Heated the case halves to at least 200 degrees. The alt side dropped right in, more even heating, the variator side I had to smack in with the crank puller.

Hit the bearings once more with heat this time, to prep for the crank.

Got one side in, then added HondaBond to both halves.

Heated up the variator side then pushed down and it went 99% of the way. Cases themselves werent that hot so I went ahead and bolted it together.
Noticed the crank was binding a little, so I tugged on the shaft :naughty: a little to center it and it spins perfect now :jack:

Still need to get the crank seals in and get the corsa jug on.

Also need to get the 15x42 gears pressed, but not in a huge hurry. some folks told me I should go taller than that so i don't die. I really dont know how fast Im supposed to expect this to run after Im finished.

Thinking about running an ebay gy6 rear pulley that HarleyRacer told me about as this one is bent. He also gave me a belt number to run along with it but well see.

I also ordered an oko cable and the rest of the carb stuff to get this plane off the ground.

More pics to come.
Slow jets are coming from ST.CA since dyno scoot didnt have them for whatever reason.

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Nice job so far. :2thumbs: Looks like youre learning as you go like everyone does. I have to point out that the gasket surfaces look deeply scratched. Base gasket, intake gasket surfaces, etc. These areas should be smooth as glass for a good seal. Paper gaskets can be somewhat forgiving for minor imperfections but as you’ll soon find out, the Corsa base gasket is simply razor thin metal. All you can do at this point is hope Hondabond will fill the gaps and hold tight.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

I have a sanding stone kit that I can probably run over them with and be careful not to drop slurry in . I sort of figured the hondabond would take care of those. TBH they dont seem to be any more scarred than the factory ridges on the case halves, I suppose i could also force the hondabond across with a razor or flat piece of something then re-apply. Idk, Ill try to be aware of it when I put things together!
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

Nice work :coolcruise:
nateberrier
Spree
Spree

Post by nateberrier »

I checked itagain in person and non of them are deep enough for a fingernail to catch even. From a side angle they don't have any weight, I think it's just the reflection from the led light above. Will add pics tomorrow