My first spree

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Abc
Noob
Noob

My first spree

Post by Abc »

I just picked up a 86 spree. It has been sitting about 5 years. My wife has given me a budget of $500 to spend on this for now. I know I need battery, tires and my rear wheel is bent from a tire change. A few cosmetic things like mirrors and paint. My turn signal switch is broke. My exhaust has expoy on it so it probably needs replacing as well. Any advice where to get parts and what you would buy. Of course I want to make it faster within reason. I will use it as a toy and to ride around at car shows and races.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: My first spree

Post by Meatball »

Battery: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YTX4L-BS-R ... Sw4NhdcSZr

Tires: https://www.motosport.com/product/?adpo ... -X001-Y003

Bent wheel: try to bend it back.
Mirrors/switch or any other parts: Ebay or post a “Wanted” ad here in the forum

Making it faster: best way is to swap in a different motor. The Spree motor is best left stock. Dont try the cheap-o big bore kits for it. Get a motor with a CVT to get more speed.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Abc
Noob
Noob

Post by Abc »

Thanks. Battery is ordered. Are other wheels available for the spree before I order tires? Aluminum should be lighter and prettier. Is tubeless possible? :coolcruise:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

No other wheel options are available for the Spree motor. Its possible to swap the front with a Metropolitan wheel to obtain tubeless, however, this is an extensive process that requires a swap of the steering stem, fork legs and brake hub/cables. Not exactly practical. Youre stuck with the stock rear wheel because of fitment to the Spree motor case.

Seriously, the only practical upgrade to the Spree motor is to get rid of it for a better one.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Abc
Noob
Noob

Post by Abc »

Thanks. I'll get the new battery in it and it cleaned up and then go from there. I haven't been on a spree since I was a kid. My sister got a brand new one in 1985. So I really don't know what to expect.