'86 Gyro Cosmetic Resto Mod

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

guzzispree
Goped
Goped

'86 Gyro Cosmetic Resto Mod

Post by guzzispree »

A quick pic of my '86 Gyro. Handlebars painted black. Wheels black with silver. No decals (I have yet to put new red/silver - NOT red/gold - decals on rear fender). New bullet directionals front/rear. New headlight. New seat by Cheekyseats (highly recommended). Unseen - engine cover made by me. Chrome-look "HONDA" emblem, "S" emblem on rear. Red frame in background is original color/frame. I'm a purist at heart. But I wanted to try simplifying the design. Runs fine.
Gyro new seat.JPG
Gyro new seat.JPG (181.1 KiB) Viewed 10358 times
Wheelman-111

Re: '86 Gyro Cosmetic Resto Mod

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Beautiful. Honda-san wishes he'd built it like this originally. Respect.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

very clean I like the 2 tone wheels and the round head light and signals. I wanna see the engine cover you made. theres an og honda cover on fleabay but the seller wants 350$ plus shipping. * robbery I tell ya! looks real nice though
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

Yep...I've seen that cover for $350...rare and obviously very pricey. I'll get a pic of mine up. Please don't get your hopes up. Mine is not all that finely done.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

lol. don't worry man. like I always say "it beats a blank" .
that one on fleabay has been up for over a year. I guess he might sell it someday....
lets see what you came up with.
motormike

Post by motormike »

That front tire looks "vintage"...good looking trike, but I'm sticking with the OEM lights.
Have never been a fan of "brown" seats unless paired with a body color that goes with brown.
But then, I don't like the '86 Red seat either.
You've done a nice job overall... :thumbwink:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

Thanks for the words, gentlemen. Here're a few pics, best as I could manage. I would call the cover an "ok" job. I made it by fitting carstock into the shape I wanted...the left side is very tricky, being that the cover fits into that groove...and then transferring the yardstick pattern to metal. If I was much better at metalworking, knew how to weld, and had more patience? Coulda been a bit better. But I'm satisfied with the results. (The "HONDA" above the tailight is a Honda Accord trunk emblem; the red "S" at the bottom/rear is a Corolla S emblem. Soon's I put the decals on the fender, I'm done.
The attachment Gyro cover.JPG is no longer available
Gyro cover.JPG
Gyro cover.JPG (145.41 KiB) Viewed 10326 times
[attachment=1]
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

Looks like an attachment, didn't
Gyro rear.JPG
Gyro rear.JPG (155 KiB) Viewed 10325 times
attach.
harleyracer59
Elite
Elite

Post by harleyracer59 »

i gotta say, that's one of the nicer home made covers ive seen. ill give that 2 thumbs up!! :2thumbs:
id like to see the inside for research. i want to copy it. :smile:
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

Here's pretty much how I made it. First picture shows the pattern, using poster board. Then I lost confidence in being able to make nice bends in wide pieces of sheet metal (I used aluminum sheet). So I picked up a metal bending tool from Harbor Freight - under $10...modifying the design to a pretty much open-topped design that only needed the edges bent (the tool limits the amount of metal you can insert into it...but works like a charm). I pop-riveted 1/4" hardware cloth in place. Painted it with engine enamel. Hardest part was fitting the left side panel, because you have to accommodate a bend to clear the muffler - hammer/dolly, bend it over a paint can - whatever it takes. Remember to make the pattern so there are some tabs for the cover to fit into (on the front, if I remember correctly), and a tab that takes a bolt on the rear bottom edge. I guess if you wanted it more enclosed, you could substitute flat panels for the hardware cloth. The pattern is the hardest part. But a fairly easy build.
The attachment p1.JPG is no longer available
The attachment p2.JPG is no longer available
p1.JPG
p1.JPG (95.66 KiB) Viewed 10321 times
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

The attachment p2.JPG is no longer available
Attachments
p2.JPG
p2.JPG (92 KiB) Viewed 10320 times
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

p3.JPG
p3.JPG (100.54 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

p4.JPG
p4.JPG (102.58 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

p5.JPG
p5.JPG (125.68 KiB) Viewed 10319 times
guzzispree
Goped
Goped

Post by guzzispree »

Harley...if you're really interested in doing whatever I've done re: cover...I just ran across the templates I made, out of cardstock. They're used, not pretty, but still might give you a start on making your own, I can write some measurements on them, and post pics here for all mankind. Or throw them in a mailing envelope and send them your way. Your choice. If you want them in the mail - PM the info.