squish band

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

rag
Goped
Goped

squish band

Post by rag »

alot of people on this site wanna be TECHNICAL with squish band , that is just so head clears piston without piston hitting head at TDC but yet funnels compression and fuel to park plug since their domed. So if I buy a Malossi kit such as I have on an af05e, they provide base gasket and head o_ring gasket with it than why would you mess with it as they did their work and knows what is best for that application, i have a stock crank and Malossi kit stock 17mm carb upjetted of course and stock gearing and can run 55 to 60 all day long, but if I go messing with what they have already put together than I am asking for problems, now then a polini kit for an af16 didnt just find a gasket and say YEAH send that to them, they did their research with that motor and stroke of crank and thats whats best, so why would we wanna mess with squish band and why is that so important when engineers have already looked at it and taken that into consideration, furthermore I have an af16 with 85cc ministroker kit on it that was designed for the ministroker crank and came with needed gaskets ( cylinder base and head) so why should I worry about squish band? are we saying they not competent in what they engineering or what?
Wheelman-111

Re: squish band

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

As far as I know, the only people making 44.1 or 44.3mm ministroker cranks for the AF16 blocks are some Asian companies. They don't seem to do their homework as well as Malossi, Polini or Fabrizi. Their cylinder kits are not always well-sorted, with piston clearances random and port windows sharp. I would not trust the kit as a Bolt-On without measuring and chamfering windows carefully. Squish between .7 and .9 seems ideal, and you may need to add base and/or head gasket thickness to achieve this ideal. If you don't check, you may get lucky or you may get stranded. Regrettably, engine assembly is "technical" to some degree. I would not hesitate to bolt on a Polini kit without checking, but would not be so sure with a kit from Asia.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH