Honda elite 50 top and and stroker build

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

B_RAD
Noob
Noob

Honda elite 50 top and and stroker build

Post by B_RAD »

This is my first post after a year or two of spectating on this forum, I have an 88 Honda elite 50 that I'm looking into stroking and big boring, I'm wondering what parts would work since there's so much out there from different company's and stuff. I'm hoping for the final result to be a pretty stout 120cc that is still rideable on the road. Anything helps, thanks.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda elite 50 top and and stroker build

Post by Meatball »

There are no stroker options for your 88’ af05e motor. Get yourself an af16 and youre in business.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
B_RAD
Noob
Noob

Post by B_RAD »

A buddy of mine has a 2001 elite hes willing to sell Wich I believe came with the af16, he said he would trade straight up since he barley rides his, what all would I need to do to the motor to support a stroker crank and big bore, also what stroker crank and big bore top end would y'all recommend going with, I've heard good things about Taida but am more than open to other options if there are better ones
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The motor case needs machining to fit the stroker crank. Ive gone down this road before and it was an expensive one with not a whole lot of upside. The only DECENT stroker cranks/bores available are from Taiwan. They dont last all that long, build quality is average-ish and the end result doesnt justify the time/money investment. After doing a full stroker build myself, I will never do another one...period.

That being said, what I recommend is a Polini Corsa. Its made in Italy and the quality is top shelf. I have over 5000mi on one right now and it still rips like new. This is a simple top end swap using the stock crank. No need to open the case, just slap on the jug! Just like any “larger than stock” bore you go with, you’ll need to also upgrade the intake/carb/air filter to accommodate the larger bore. To completely unlock the full potential of the bore, 9:1 gears, adjustable clutch and racing exhaust are needed. Ive ran Corsa with stock gears, clutch, exhaust and its a huge increase in torque and top speed. Once you add those it pulls like a raped ape and you better hang on tight. You’ll have problems keeping the front wheel on the ground.

TLDR: skip the stroker, get a Corsa, buy a good helmet and riding gear, say your prayers and eat your vegetables. Good boy.
B_RAD
Noob
Noob

Post by B_RAD »

I was kinda of on the fence with the whole stroker idea due to the machining of the cases. Whereas I have some pretty solid mechanical ability, I am no where near good enough to mess with machining the cases, I know a couple of good machinists who could probably assist me but a top end, carb and pipe sounds better to me. Looked the kit up and it's a 72mm top end, I'd probally go with a pg long pipe, I'd think it would need a bigger carb at the very least re-jetting, any ideas what a guy should go with carb wise?
B_RAD
Noob
Noob

Post by B_RAD »

I was kinda of on the fence with the whole stroker idea due to the machining of the cases. Whereas I have some pretty solid mechanical ability, I am no where near good enough to mess with machining the cases, I know a couple of good machinists who could probably assist me but a top end, carb and pipe sounds better to me. Looked the kit up and it's a 72mm top end, I'd probally go with a pg long pipe, I'd think it would need a bigger carb at the very least re-jetting, any ideas what a guy should go with carb wise?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The Corsa is the standard by which all other bores aspire to be and they’ve been used in builds zillions of times over. There has been every parts combination imaginable used in Corsa builds. Asking whats the “best” would be a matter of opinion and if you ask 10 people you’d likely get 10 different answers.

Theres definitely certain brands/products to avoid for reasons of quality, fitment, lofty prices, absolute junk or they simply do not mate well with said bore. Other items provide empty claims of improvements with no actual results besides the weight reduction benefits of a lighter wallet and can often worsen performance. Im looking at you, cheap $5 Made in China CDI on Ebay.

Bare minimum you need a carb, pilot & main jet kits, Intake, air filter and throttle cable. Below is what I recommend and use in all my builds with great success:

Polini PWK 24mm Carburetor $136.99
Polini PWK main jet kit 100-118 $27.99
Polini PWK pilot jet kit 30-40 $27.99
Stage6 or Naraku Intake kit $95.99
Stage6 Red or Blue Air Filter $29.99
Throttle cable for PWK $12.99

Total $331.94

These prices were pulled from Scooterswapshop.com. CHECK PM FOR FURTHER INFO!!
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Important note I forgot to mention. You should buy an oil pump delete plug. The larger bore will require more oil mixture than your stock pump provides. Remove the pump, plug the hole and use a 32:1 pre-mix fuel from now on. The link below is best option:
https://scooterswapshop.com/products/ho ... e55b&_ss=r

Below is a cheaper option but you need to cobble together a way to hold it in using a bolt, stack of washers, metal tab, etc...search the forum for info and pics on what others have done. Also buy a tube of HondaBond. Use it to seal everything like this plug, jug base, intake, gear cover...
https://scooterswapshop.com/products/pg ... e55b&_ss=r
B_RAD
Noob
Noob

Post by B_RAD »

I've heard some good things about re-gareing the transmission for more speed, I have a good idea on how to do it n stuff, just wondering it if would be a good idea.

Also, do you wrecomend any bottom end work, like an aftermarket crank possibly?
B_RAD
Noob
Noob

Post by B_RAD »

Also what pipe would you recomend
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

The stock crank is actually quite stout. Slap on a Corsa and run that baby. The bearings will give out before the crank will, I bet.

If youre broke, the stock pipe will work. It will be a major performance restriction tho.
If you have a few bucks, get the PG Long. Its a huge upgrade from stock pipe. Might get premature baffle rattle.
If you have the cash and want it to rip like an animal, get the Arrow. Its pricey and worth it.