Ch80 restromod project

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Ch80 restromod project

Post by MrJumps »

Soooo ita been a minute since ive wrenched on a motocycle so I brought a ch80 that kinda fell into my lap.
1400 original miles, original everything including the tires.
Og must have drained all the fluids except the oil, its gas tank is minty. The oil was oem break in oil. Some young dumb kid brought the bike from said og and wrecked it on both sides. Its all orginal runs like hot garbage but I drove it 15 miles home, paid 450 with a bill of sale.

Onto the question I came here to ask.

I know I want to keep this thing for riding the dragon us129. Foothills parkway etc.

Is there a aftermarket gear set for the 1992 ch80? Is there a specific year of ch80 that has a higher gear range? I know I can turn the variation and skim the surface down to get more top end but I would realistically like to see a solid easy 50mph.

I don't want the aftermarket exhaust its too loud.
I just want a tiny more umpft.

I also would like to keep this motor due to ease of maintaining and the reliability of the motor unless the 150 bolts right in.

Anyway, thanks
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Ch80 restromod project

Post by MrJumps »

motormike

Post by motormike »

Hiya Jumps...welcome back... :hi:
Can't tell you about gears, but I've had a few CH80's.
The valves are teeny-weeny.
Tune your variator, new belt, but All that I've ever owned were doing 45mph tops.
Mods aren't very successful.
CHECK the intake and carb flange bolts.
They are notorious for loosening and giving you a lean burn until it quits running.
The access to those bolts is bad too.
Remove muffler, rear wheel, airbox. Pain in *.
Mufflers known to break header pipe/ bad design.
Wish i had more encouragement to give, but they are much like the Spree pertaining to making it go faster....motor... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

motormike wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:19 am Wish i had more encouragement to give, but they are much like the Spree pertaining to making it go faster....motor... :urban:
Geeze I figured, I've been spending a few hours reading up on the forum. I tried to browse noiseguys ebay store for a air filter but it doesn't seem like he has one. Maybe I can talk him into making me a cvt intake hose filter. Anyway its good to be back on a honda.

Anyone want to try a af16 gear set next to a ch80 gear set if you have some extra laying around?

Any sizes for a smaller belt?
Taller tyre?

Idunno I feel stumped just like the spree was... guess ill fix it up and try to ride it a while. Can't hurt to go slow for a bit
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
motormike

Post by motormike »

Always wanted orange...coolio
My last one was yellow.
I've had white, red, and blue too.
Just ride it slow, save your money, get a 150.
That's my best advice for going faster and
having a bike that can do the Cherahola or Dragon without shame.
RideRed
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Well bad news, the kid who owned this before and I talked and he mentioned that he accidently removed a spring from the bottom of the motor. I did the valve lash today and its still at tdc but it has ridden about 100 miles probably without an oil pump or tensioner on correctly. It is in time but makes a horrible clack noise in the bottom end. I am gonna write this motor off and plan a swap for it. What a great way to start a build amIrght?

Video for your teeth gritting pleasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S21JcR8w74
motormike

Post by motormike »

Yep, I know exactly what he did...lol.
RideRed
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Well non photo update but I kinda wanted to test the waters and get an opinion or two.

I acquired the ch250 along with a harness and the entire front forks off an elite, the bigger wheel, brakes, etc.

Do I cut and weld the larger elite stem into place or do I try to modify elite 50 forks to fit and go with disk brakes? It looks like it will be alot of work to get the larger elite stem to work. Was wondering if anyone has gone down this path before and would maybe have some good advice on making sure I don't trash my stem/ collar where the bearings sit.

I have a long check list of stuff I need to fix on this motor, the exhaust is shot but I think I can patch it until I can fabricate a new header and can. The cooling system is a mess on it.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

It was pretty easy to get the motor in, flipped a ch80 mount, and shopped the limits off the ch250 mount. My donor was an elite 250.

I picked up this 2008 cf moto for 180 bucks, it think it might run with some love. Plan to keep the motor as a spare.

I brought this drz to be my daily last october ive done bout 6000 miles on it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8Dq8BkgMcuc

this was today, wiring wasn't too bad, have a good bit to do still but ill regularly post some updates.

I refreshed the 250 in my elite, it has about 24k miles on it. I replaced all the cvt components with honda parts, rebuilt the carb, re gasketed the engine and did a water pump on it. Hoping I can reliably daily this summer.
motormike

Post by motormike »

Hiya Jumps...thanks for the peak at what you're doing.
FYI...I've got some miscellaneous smalls for CH80 that are doing me no good...if ya need anything.
Attachments
ruby and Matt.JPG
ruby and Matt.JPG (113.36 KiB) Viewed 2899 times
RideRed