AF18e swap on my 87 Spree

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

onlyschassis
Noob
Noob

AF18e swap on my 87 Spree

Post by onlyschassis »

Whats up to anyone who is still on this forum,

Some background on me and scoots: in highschool i worked for a small independent moped repair and sales shop in oahu called Mister Scooter/ Moped Doctors circa 2014-17ish learned a ton about 2t and 4t bikes there. First moped I completely put together was a ghost vin Yamaha razz, started from just bare frame and put it together with spare parts from around our shop for about 100$ and then bought a 60cc BBK kit i believe from EBay. I think the seller is an OG of the forum. Sold that then moved on to a SYM DD50, bought it all stock for 700$ i think with a stock style YMS pipe. Put a Polini corsa on and did some light tuning and was hitting 65-70 very easily on flats. Ended up selling the sym for around 900$ to move to the mainland

I've been itching to ride for a while so I picked up an 87 spree a month or so ago with the plans of restoring it and doing a dio swap. Originally I wanted to do an AF16e, I'm from Oahu hawaii so I'm used to having an abundance of parts, frames, motors etc. being available locally... Now Im in the suburbs of Chandler AZ with basically 0 parts available.
I didnt know how long it'd take for me to find an af16 out here so I decided to just fix up the af05e and get the spree running for now.
Cleaned the carb, got new lines, cleaned the petcock, gas tank had light surface rust ( the gas cap was off the tank for who knows how long till i got it), and put fresh gas. When I picked up the spree I originally thought it was completely empty in fluids so I threw it in the back seat of my gf's camry lol. Come to find out the oil tank was full to the brim.... thank god it didnt spill :bowrofl:

Anywho I got the spree running and getting to 30mph pretty easily but the carb started to leak after a good pull from overflow so I put it on the side so I could look for a new bowl gasket. Ordered a filter and plug from Noiseguy on ebay and was gonna put it in until i realized my front wheel is completely bent so I put the spree on the side for now while i get a new wheel and some new rubber to replace these dry rotted ones.

I got impatient...Bought an af18e from an AF28 bike, arrived in 3 days. So now Im going to be working on stripping the spree down and getting everything ready for the swap. My af18s missing an exhaust flange ear, the kicker gears are all messed up, and I need a carb and air box setup...

Goals for this build is easy 60mph and being able to ride a decent distance. Gonna use oil tank as second gas tank.
Think im gonna run a YMS pipe or something similar with a Contessa bore and a 21mm carb so I wont drink all the gas riding WOT.

Any suggestions on parts or etc? This is my first dio swap and first time building a motor from the bottom up. It's too hot to be out riding now so Im gonna build in the summer to enjoy after.

Dont know how to post pics yet, gonna try at home when Im not at work lol
motormike

Re: AF18e swap on my 87 Spree

Post by motormike »

You go duder...welcome to the forum.
Show us what you are doing when you figure out the pix issue.
this forum is a bit starved of projects these days....motor... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Re: AF18e swap on my 87 Spree

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Before you get going, think about Stopping! 80mm drum brakes in a pressed wheel won't do much from 60 MPH. Fork swaps are a PITA but should really be the first place to start. Swap Shop should have a Formula by now. Best of luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH