Determining model year

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

whc03grady
Noob
Noob

Determining model year

Post by whc03grady »

I recently acquired this Spree and given the sticker on the front fork and the title, believe it is an 85. But apparently the kickstart, which it has, didn't appear until 1986? Image
So I'm not sure what year it is, or if some parts were swapped out in the distant past.

It hasn't run in >10 years and the previous owner wasn't sure exactly why it stopped running when I asked (did it make a lot of loud noise one time and stop running? did smoke pour out? or would it just not start?) and she wasn't sure. In any case it looks like much of the wiring from the battery had melted at some point and been sloppily repaired. But it must have run with this sloppy wiring for some time, as I am positive she got it and drove it that way for a while; she definitely wasn't the electrical hack. Which brings me to the question: are complete looms available?

I'm kind of an old hand at air-cooled Volkswagens so I'm used to getting greasy, but I have no experience with two strokes and I'm kind of allergic to electrical work so it'll be an adventure getting this running for my wife. Anything I should be aware of off the bat?
whc03grady
Noob
Noob

Re: Determining model year

Post by whc03grady »

I guess I might add, in case it's relevant: the owner's manual--which, of course, may not be original to the scooter--is for an '85 Iowa model.
motormike

Re: Determining model year

Post by motormike »

Hey there whc03grady ... :hi:
Here are the VIN numbers to help you identify.
1985 VIN#
49 states = JH2AF060*FS100001-beginning number
IOWA = JH2AF061*FS100001-
1985 engine #
49 states = AF06E-2100001
IOWA = AF05E-2100001

1986 Spree VIN#
49 states = JH2AF060*GS200001-
IOWA = JH2AF061*GS200001-
1986 engine #
49 states = AF05E-2200001-
IOWA = AF05E-2200001-..........notice these 2 numbers are the same, but copied directly from Honda ID Guide

Hope this will help you nail down the years of your bike and engine. :geekdance:
No doubt, a P.O. added the kicker cover if it is '85
Can't answer your harness question. :?:
Not much of a Spree guy myself, but others here can help you...
this IS "the place to be for Spree"...welcome sir...motor... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"