Dio af18 project🔥

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Re: Dio af18 project🔥

Post by zapperaf28 »

Also is this piece of the variator needed? What does it do? https://i.imgur.com/cmXmbGA.jpg
ntonar
Spree
Spree

Post by ntonar »

It restricts belt movement to lower top speeds, you will want to remove it.
zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Post by zapperaf28 »

ntonar wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:51 am It restricts belt movement to lower top speeds, you will want to remove it.
Thanks♥️
zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Post by zapperaf28 »

The dio is at the exhaust shop to get the exhaust fitted with a custom flange and mount, also the fairings are at the paint shop. Hopefully i can get this bike together before i go to the army 13th of july🤞
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

zapperaf28 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:57 am
ntonar wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:51 am It restricts belt movement to lower top speeds, you will want to remove it.
Thanks♥️
Yes, it restricts top speed and should be removed. It also keeps the grease inside from escaping and getting slung all over the place. Be sure to clean all the grease out with brakleen or something before running it. The stock rollers probably have flat spots and should be replaced.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Post by zapperaf28 »

Meatball wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:12 am
zapperaf28 wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:57 am
Thanks♥️
Yes, it restricts top speed and should be removed. It also keeps the grease inside from escaping and getting slung all over the place. Be sure to clean all the grease out with brakleen or something before running it. The stock rollers probably have flat spots and should be replaced.
Thanks for the tips😊
zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Post by zapperaf28 »

Fairings are done, i will compound and polish them once the bike is assembled

https://youtube.com/shorts/NkZzmyeBXYc?feature=share

Unfortunately the bike is still at the exhaust shop because the guy who works on the bikes apparently cut off most of his hand with an angle grinder😭, the owner said that he will try to get it done by tomorrow since im going to the army on the 13th
zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Post by zapperaf28 »

Almost finished. Im still waiting on some parts most of them cosmetic except gears, a variator, and a throttle cable.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ju5aAChZ1qm2gCHt5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HjP8RK7t5BxdTVxw5

Oh and this thing sounds insane under load
zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Post by zapperaf28 »

Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

:popcorn:
zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Post by zapperaf28 »

Having trouble getting the cvt dialed in, the engine seems to not be revving enough but also the sharpie test seems to have way more to go, i need to get lighter rollers, i have 6g ones now with the corsa and 17 x 41 gearing what do you suggest?
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

What RPM’s are you topping out at? If your sharpie lines indicate the belt not reaching high enough, it could be a few reasons. Like…wrong width or worn belt, wrong size variator boss, rollers too light, RPM’s too low, incorrect or too heavy contra spring, etc….it also could be the Motoforce clutch giving you issues since the stuff Ive tried from them is trash. Maybe its the Chinese PWK carb?

Either way, 6g rollers are plenty heavy to reach the top of the variator at 9000-10000 rpm’s.
zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Post by zapperaf28 »

Meatball wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:16 am What RPM’s are you topping out at? If your sharpie lines indicate the belt not reaching high enough, it could be a few reasons. Like…wrong width or worn belt, wrong size variator boss, rollers too light, RPM’s too low, incorrect or too heavy contra spring, etc….it also could be the Motoforce clutch giving you issues since the stuff Ive tried from them is trash. Maybe its the Chinese PWK carb?

Either way, 6g rollers are plenty heavy to reach the top of the variator at 9000-10000 rpm’s.
Hey so i was topping out at only 7.7-8k rpm so then i tried only using 3x6g rollers and man the thing turned into a whole new beast i swear so tomorrow i will head over to the shop to get some 3g rollers, but isn’t that too light? Ive never seen anybody use rolles that are so light on a dio, weird. Maybe i should get 2 sets 3g and 4g
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Who is telling you to use 3g rollers? Do they even make those?!? Dont use those.

Think of roller weight as a TOTAL weight, not individual. So if you use six 6g weights your total is 36g. I would not go less than 30g total weight or else your “Sharpie Test” will never reach the top. The lighter you go, the better acceleration you’ll have but top speed will suffer.

Some other issues are happening here if youre only getting 7.7-8k rpms. Possibly too fat on the jets or something cvt related holding you back.

Edit: you can mix-n-match roller weights to dial in the total weight. As long as you stagger them evenly in the variator to stay balanced. For example: use three 5g and three 6g for a total weight of 33g. Placed into variator 6,5,6,5,6,5. Make sense?…just dont use different weights more than 2g apart. So dont use 8g and 4g. 👌
zapperaf28
BMX
BMX

Post by zapperaf28 »

Meatball wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:00 pm Who is telling you to use 3g rollers? Do they even make those?!? Dont use those.

Think of roller weight as a TOTAL weight, not individual. So if you use six 6g weights your total is 36g. I would not go less than 30g total weight or else your “Sharpie Test” will never reach the top. The lighter you go, the better acceleration you’ll have but top speed will suffer.

Some other issues are happening here if youre only getting 7.7-8k rpms. Possibly too fat on the jets or something cvt related holding you back.

Edit: you can mix-n-match roller weights to dial in the total weight. As long as you stagger them evenly in the variator to stay balanced. For example: use three 5g and three 6g for a total weight of 33g. Placed into variator 6,5,6,5,6,5. Make sense?…just dont use different weights more than 2g apart. So dont use 8g and 4g. 👌
My powerband with this exhaust is really high in the rpm range though, why cant i use 3g rollers? Here in europe people with yamaha aerox and gilera runners use those weights all the time. And this exhaust revs up to 13k easy