AF05 polini carb help!

This is the place to discuss your build with other builders and solicit feedback and help with parts of your build: engine, body work, bolt ons, etc.

Moderator: Moderator

Djdoom25
Noob
Noob

AF05 polini carb help!

Post by Djdoom25 »

Hey guys. Got a Af05E with a malossi 72cc bbk, chamber exhaust, polini variator, s23 clutch springs, stock carb and aftermarket air filter. I've been told to get the polini carb. But not sure what size would be needed and what jets are recommended aswell.
Wondering if anyone has any input please :smile:

I'm also trying to figure out the right variator weights to use. Polini kit came with 6.3 and 6.9. I'd say im part of the heavy riders club. So I'm not too sure what kind of weights to start at?
notonyet
Noob
Noob

Re: AF05 polini carb help!

Post by notonyet »

I recently got 2 JDM AF05e's that I've been working on: 1985 Trad Tact and 1986 DJ-1R. Both of these have the Polini CP 21 and are working out really well. The Tact has the Malossi BBK, big valve intake and S23 Aero pipe. The DJ is setup the same except it has the S23 Slick Willy pipe. Yellow contra spring and 1500 springs in the clutch. I put in Polini variators with the 6.3g rollers. Jetting is 32/34 on the slow jet and 102/104 on the main jets. Both bikes are starting and running well, but still a bit boggy. Rich bog / Lean bog is still challenging for me to figure out, but this is where I am today!

I'm still trying to dial-in these bikes and dont claim to be any kinda expert!! Its good to see activity on these forums. Keep posting and I'll share results as well. I am not a Facebook guy, so this is my go-to forum.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

Start fishing, as I call it. Unscrew the mixture screw 3 full turns and drop the main jet by 10 and see if it gets super crisp and zingy. Dont ride it this way, its only for tuning while on the stand to find the ballpark. Once you get those crisp snappy throttle blips (mega-lean), the rpm’s will hang for a few seconds before returning to idle. Turn the screw in until the rpm’s return to idle immediately, no hanging.

If you turn the screw all the way in and the rpm’s still wont return to idle without hanging (still lean), incrementally up the mj and start the process over.

Once you’ve found the mj & screw setting combination that gives you a non-muddy throttle blip and no idle hang…then you’re ready to ride it for final tuning. This is done by using the temp gauge. If you run it WOT and the temp shoots up to 350 quickly, stop and put a bigger mj. Never go past 370-380 unless you wanna walk your bike home. Mine typically run wide open for hours and fluctuate between 350-380 with no issues…but I like to push my luck.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I know dropping the mj 10 to start with sounds crazy but the cp carbs like smaller mj’s than the pwk’s.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.