Do I need to bleed my oil pump???

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fireblade
Spree
Spree

Do I need to bleed my oil pump???

Post by fireblade »

Hey guys.
I got given for free a honda dio, that had been in a nasty crash. The front is really bent up.
Today I bought a low milage dio that wouldn't go. So I pulled the motor out of the crashed one, and fitted it to the one that wouldn't go.
So do I need to bleed my oil pump?
If so How do I do it?
I've done a search, and I couldn't find a definitive answer on what I need to do.
Please help. I'm desperate to ride my new scooter, but I don't want to destroy the engine I've just fitted.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Do I need to bleed my oil pump???

Post by swimmingfree »

run premix gas till you no its pumping oil thou it ..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

Based on where the fuel tank is, it's going to be a P.I.T.A. to remove the tank to drain the fuel so I can replace it with premix. How do I know that the pump is in facy pumping?

Is there a how-to for bleeding the pump? I consider myself to be pretty mechanically minded, but these dirty old scooters seem to be harder to work on than any of my cars.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

Theres another thread going about this

Read the manual as to how much fuel the tank holds fill it up and add the right amount of oil done
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
dio gear swap in progress
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

fireblade wrote:Based on where the fuel tank is, it's going to be a P.I.T.A. to remove the tank to drain the fuel so I can replace it with premix. How do I know that the pump is in facy pumping?

Is there a how-to for bleeding the pump? I consider myself to be pretty mechanically minded, but these dirty old scooters seem to be harder to work on than any of my cars.
Why would you drain the tank? Just add oil and shake the scooter side to side.

But if you have been running for more than an hour without premix, the the oil pump is working fine.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

I spent an hour pawing over the workshop manual, (Thanks to this site) and I got the volume of the fuel tank. (5ltrs) Then I added a couple of hundy mls of oil, and topped the tank up. And I've been riding it ever since. I pulled the line off the carb from the oil pump, and it gave the trusty drip drip drip. So I figure the pump is all good.

In other news I took the motor that was a no go from the low milage dio, and drained a sh*tload of oil out of it. Then refitted it to the bent up scooter. Gave it a good drink of "start-ya-*" . Then kicked it over a couple of times. (The startermotor was burnt out) And tickety boo! It came to life.
So what is the proceedure for getting the hose to deliver oil? I tried sticking my mouth over the oil resiour filler hole and blowinf as hard as I could while the motor was running, and I was holding the oil pump actuator wide open. Bit it's not dripping oil yet. Since this motor only has 1260kms on it, I'd like to fit a start motor off one of my old niftys, and stick the motor in either my nifty, or my evePAXs.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

ok here some input for you i wood see witch way the motor turn you will see that the nifty turn one way and the evepax turn the other way... so the starter swap wont work ..but if you take off the two scru off the back and turn it 180 and put them back in it will make the starter turn in the right way ..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

Start ya barstard will kill your rings

what part of chch you in?
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Bear will tell you to fill the oil tank, run the thing on pre-mix and observe for a drop in oil level. He has stated on the record that he's never once had a problem.

This is an effective "test" for pump function, but there's one thing I don't like about his method: if the pump IS workning and its output directed to the engine, the pump output will add to an already-adequate premix oil volume, producing a smoky ride and additional damage to the Southern Hemisphere's rapidly-growing Ozone Hole, skin cancers and an end to all life on Earth as we know it. Even worse, it's running the risk of a fouled spark plug and rapid carbon buildup in the combustion chamber.

If you zip-tie a plastic bottle somewhere and allow the pump to dribble there instead, you'll quickly appreciate if the pump is moving oil or not. (While the engine chuffs merrily along on its diet of Premix...) Accurate measurement of that oil volume and keeping track of the fuel consumed will even provide a pump output ratio, if needed.

Don't forget to fill the pump inlet and output lines beforehand. The former is easy, just clamp the end and plug it into the pump as it oozes, preferably not over your priceless Lambswool carpet. Fill the output line with oil, keep your finger on the lower end and plug that to the pump the same way. In so doing, it won't take as long before the pump begins pushing oil out the end and into your catch bottle.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

My way: Run pre-mix for a bit. Disconnect the oil feed line at the carb and wait until you actually see oil coming out of the hose to drain out the premix.

Problem with watching the tank is that the pump could be 1) pumping nothing and instead 2) dribbling into the bottom end when sitting in the garage. Mine was doing that. In fact, if I never rode it more than 5 minutes, it probably would have been fine like that forever :)
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

A little smoke and a new plug are a real easy things to deal with compared to a fried motor and cheaper too. FYI, only once had a plug issue doing this and a new plug solved it. A couple hundred miles of extra oil will hurt nothing, well maybe the plug but you should change that every spring anyway.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

niftyman wrote:Start ya barstard will kill your rings

what part of chch you in?
Avondale. I don't recall mentioning my city in this thread?
swimmingfree wrote:ok here some input for you i wood see witch way the motor turn you will see that the nifty turn one way and the evepax turn the other way... so the starter swap wont work ..but if you take off the two scru off the back and turn it 180 and put them back in it will make the starter turn in the right way ..
swimmingfree
I've got both an evePAXs with a dead engine, and a nifty with an unknown engine, and two nifty engines in bits. So Surely one of them will rotate the the correct way. I'm almost tempted to see it I just skim the commutator, and fit new brushes if that fixes it.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

The Bear will tell you to fill the oil tank, run the thing on pre-mix and observe for a drop in oil level. He has stated on the record that he's never once had a problem.

This is an effective "test" for pump function, but there's one thing I don't like about his method: if the pump IS workning and its output directed to the engine, the pump output will add to an already-adequate premix oil volume, producing a smoky ride and additional damage to the Southern Hemisphere's rapidly-growing Ozone Hole, skin cancers and an end to all life on Earth as we know it. Even worse, it's running the risk of a fouled spark plug and rapid carbon buildup in the combustion chamber.

If you zip-tie a plastic bottle somewhere and allow the pump to dribble there instead, you'll quickly appreciate if the pump is moving oil or not. (While the engine chuffs merrily along on its diet of Premix...) Accurate measurement of that oil volume and keeping track of the fuel consumed will even provide a pump output ratio, if needed.

Don't forget to fill the pump inlet and output lines beforehand. The former is easy, just clamp the end and plug it into the pump as it oozes, preferably not over your priceless Lambswool carpet. Fill the output line with oil, keep your finger on the lower end and plug that to the pump the same way. In so doing, it won't take as long before the pump begins pushing oil out the end and into your catch bottle.
Thanks for your reply Wheelman.
My issue with this is that the motor is currently residing in a badly bent frame that isn't going to be getting ridden anywhere in the forseable future.
Although It looks like I'm going to be running premix if I do throw it into the evepax. I'm almost tempted to fit it to the nifty, but the nifty has no plates. (And I'm too stingey to pay the $150 to reregister it) I'm am drawn to the sweet sweet body lines of the NQ50 though.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

your nifty will have to be recomplied if you dont have plates for it any more new rules as of the 1st july $130 for the check which involves makeing sure all lights work and have the write std marks tyres must be up to scratch and brakes the frame must be unmoddified if it is it will need a low volume cert thats another $300 and the motor must be under 50cc and not go over 50kmh if you pass this which isnt that hard really then you can go regester it for another $130

the new rules suck but they are stopping all those crappy chinese bikes that arnt built to any standards off our roads befor the rules came in you could regester any bike all you needed was a chassis number and a name for the bike they didnt even need to see it just pay $120 and get new plates those were the good old days

i knew you were in chch from your older posts
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
niftyman
Spree
Spree

Post by niftyman »

:coolcruise: :coolcruise:
DJ1

NEK MINNIT

Malossi
DJ1 54mph
living in chch NZ
earthquake central
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

Yeah I knew about the new rules. They suck tbh. The buttholes at vtnz charge a $100 for the inspection too. So $230 just to be cool and ride a nifty. I almost wish I hadn't sold my other nifty with live rego and rebuilt (But wouldn't fire) motor for $200.
Looking more and more like the exepax will be getting the spare dio motor.
Any idea where I can source upgrade parts locally?

Which part of quaketown are you in? Do you attend any of the retro scooter runs?
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"