Help changing tire

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

sdbrehm
Noob
Noob

Help changing tire

Post by sdbrehm »

I need some advice changing the tires on my '86 Spree. It has about 2300 miles, but sat for years and I noticed some cracks on the sidewall of the rear tire when I got it running, otherwise both front and rear seemed to be holding pressure and the tread is fine. These may be the original tires and tubes.

I have two new tires and new tubes, but after wrestling with the front tire last night I thought I'd get a sanity check. I removed the front wheel, struggled to remove the old tire, then gave up trying to get the new tire on the rim.

First question is whether I should be bothering replacing anything.

Should I bother replacing the tubes if I do replace the tires? Like I said, they are holding air. If it were my mountain bike I'd use the old tubes until they started leaking, but this is my first motor scooter/cycle and I don't know if that is accepted or wise practice.

As to installing the tire, I found a suggestion here to coat the tube and inside of tire with talcum, which makes sense, but do you need a special tire tool to get the tire back on the rim? I was trying with my (plastic) bike tire levers and a big screwdriver last night, but I'm worried about breaking the tire levers or puncturing the tube with the screwdriver.

How do you guys do this? I suppose I could take them down to the local auto tire store and pay them to use their tire mounting rig, but I'd like to do it myself.

Scott
myhonda
Elite
Elite

Post by myhonda »

tires are hard. u got to use 2 flat head screwdrivers and pry it off little by little cafully as not to damage the tube inside. if its your first time takin off the tire on one of these i recomend u get a tube patch kit just in case ya get the tube and have to patch it.
slowaero
Goped
Goped

Post by slowaero »

I'm in the same boat with an 1987 Aero with the cracky tires.

You may want to call a few MX repair/ parts stores for their quote on mounting your tires. In CA there are alot of mini MX with 10 and 12" rims
that they service. Around Northern Cal I can get them mounted for $8 a wheel if I use their tubes and tires and $16 if I bring mine in.

I've had other old bikes - putting on new rubber does more than anything else for the suspension, cornering , stopping so do it.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

its easy, you just need to lube it up first
islandbayy
Elite
Elite

Post by islandbayy »

Use Dish Soap. Dont add water, just dish soap. Bottle from dollar store will do nicely.
Owner of K-Man Auto, Scooters, & Electric Cars
Home of Wisconsin's First Street Legal DOT Licensed Electric Cars!
http://KmanScooters.com
http://MilwaukeeEV.com
sdbrehm
Noob
Noob

Post by sdbrehm »

Got the new front tire mounted with a new tube. I decided to try the talcum powder first, then soap if that didn't work, but the powder did the trick. Now I just have to find my manual for the instructions on removing the rear wheel...

Scott
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

you take of the panals, remouve trhe muffler and then just unbolt the bolt on the tire.
sdbrehm
Noob
Noob

Post by sdbrehm »

Got it. Actually I downloaded another copy of the manual and peeked. Everything is back together and I've been out for a test run.

Another question arose however. When I removed the muffler what looks like a large version of a spark plug washer came out of the side of the cylinder. I reused the same washer when I put it together, and everything seems fine, but should that washer be replaced? I know you are supposed to use new washers when spark plugs are changed.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

thats a exaust gasket, aslong as its in tact its fine, wihtout it you would be verry loud