Jet size identification?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

LocoParaHonda
Spree
Spree

Jet size identification?

Post by LocoParaHonda »

I have an 85 Honda Aero and I'm looking into doing the upjetting/drilled airbox mod, possibly a little hole in the end of the stock muffler too.

I'm not sure if it currently has a #75 or #80 jet in it, but I also have an 87 Elite-S thats suppose to have a #82 jet that's compatible. Unfortunatly I had carb problems a while back and swapped the the carbs from the Elite and Aero back and forth a little bit and now I'm not sure what's in it.

Is there a way to tell by looking at a jet what size it is? If I them up next to each other can you visually see the difference?

Wanted to ask before I cracked everything open.

Thanks

P.S. If I end up buying a jet pack (looking at this one:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWNX%3AIT which has 85, 90, 95, 100, 105 & 110) which size should I use for a stock Aero 50 w with 2x 1/3inch holes in the airbox?
I've been told elevation/location can be a factor - I'm in Portland, OR 173ft above sea level. Doesn't ever get too hot here except for a few weeks in the very middle of summer.
85 Honda Aero 50 w/kickstart and Keli variator. (Proteus)
86 Honda Aero 50
87 Elite 50-S parts ped
spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Re: Jet size identification?

Post by spree-rider »

U might be able to see the defernce but on my spree ontop of the thrrads on the side there is, like an eigth in of un threaded jet body and that is stamped with the #
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

You can't really tell by looking at the carb. The jet will tell you more than any what carb you used.don't drill a hole in the exhaust.that will only make it louder.it doesn't go any faster.take the snorkel out the airbox and up jet to a 85 or 88 jet.the 85 comes out of a se50 and the 88 comes out of the elite lx. If you want more torque and power out of the stock bore,mill the head .030in the stock compression ratio is 7to1.by milling the head that amount,it will bump it to around 9.5to1 which is just right.that with a aftermarket variator and your good for 50mph with the stock 11to1 gears.then you can swap the se50 gears 10to1 in and increase your topspeed another 5-7mph
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
LocoParaHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by LocoParaHonda »

spree-rider wrote:U might be able to see the defernce but on my spree ontop of the thrrads on the side there is, like an eigth in of un threaded jet body and that is stamped with the #
I'll be damned! You're right, mine has that too. I feel silly for not inspecting it closer.
bakaracer wrote:You can't really tell by looking at the carb. The jet will tell you more than any what carb you used.don't drill a hole in the exhaust.that will only make it louder.it doesn't go any faster.take the snorkel out the airbox and up jet to a 85 or 88 jet.the 85 comes out of a se50 and the 88 comes out of the elite lx. If you want more torque and power out of the stock bore,mill the head .030in the stock compression ratio is 7to1.by milling the head that amount,it will bump it to around 9.5to1 which is just right.that with a aftermarket variator and your good for 50mph with the stock 11to1 gears.then you can swap the se50 gears 10to1 in and increase your topspeed another 5-7mph
You're talking about the head of the piston? I didn't know you could do that, do you have to take it to a machine shop or something?
Already have the aftermarket variator. The jets have officially been ordered.
86 Honda Aero 50
87 Elite 50-S parts ped
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

LocoParaHonda wrote:
spree-rider wrote:U might be able to see the defernce but on my spree ontop of the thrrads on the side there is, like an eigth in of un threaded jet body and that is stamped with the #
I'll be damned! You're right, mine has that too. I feel silly for not inspecting it closer.
bakaracer wrote:You can't really tell by looking at the carb. The jet will tell you more than any what carb you used.don't drill a hole in the exhaust.that will only make it louder.it doesn't go any faster.take the snorkel out the airbox and up jet to a 85 or 88 jet.the 85 comes out of a se50 and the 88 comes out of the elite lx. If you want more torque and power out of the stock bore,mill the head .030in the stock compression ratio is 7to1.by milling the head that amount,it will bump it to around 9.5to1 which is just right.that with a aftermarket variator and your good for 50mph with the stock 11to1 gears.then you can swap the se50 gears 10to1 in and increase your topspeed another 5-7mph
You're talking about the head of the piston? I didn't know you could do that, do you have to take it to a machine shop or something?
Already have the aftermarket variator. The jets have officially been ordered.

Yes, the piston head. Yes, a machine shop. Well worth the cost. Lots more torque might cost $30 for them to do it.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Post by spree-rider »

DO some reading on this board. You will learn tons! Use tge search function too!
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Actually it is the cylinder head, goes on top of the cylinder. The head of the piston is actually the top of the piston, leave it alone.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Bear45-70 wrote:Actually it is the cylinder head, goes on top of the cylinder. The head of the piston is actually the top of the piston, leave it alone.

OK, I see your "play" on words. I suppose someone could mistaken that. (SEE YOUR SIGNATURE)

Although, be sure to decarbonize your PISTON ON THE HEAD OF THE ACTUAL PISTON while you are there.
Last edited by martynkim on Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Post by spree-rider »

:bowrofl:
martynkim wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:Actually it is the cylinder head, goes on top of the cylinder. The head of the piston is actually the top of the piston, leave it alone.

OK, I see your "play" on words. I suppose someone could mistaken that. (SEE YOUR SIGNATURE)
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

spree-rider wrote::bowrofl:
martynkim wrote:

Just watched your
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDdeOncpD5E

Mudd fan cool.
spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Post by spree-rider »

THanks dude!
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
LocoParaHonda
Spree
Spree

Post by LocoParaHonda »

martynkim wrote:Although, be sure to decarbonize your PISTON ON THE HEAD OF THE ACTUAL PISTON while you are there.
How do you do decarbonize the piston head of the actual piston? I couldn't find anything about that in the forums. Is that a flame torch thing or just a good going over with a wire brush, etc? Do you have to take the piston out of the scooter? I've never decarbed the piston and the odometer is at 4K, so if that's a maintenance thing, I'm probably due.
That sounds like a great idea. If I mill the cylinder head .030in could I also use a bigger jet? I'm buying a pack of jets from Daywot, included in the set is an 85 and a 90. Would 90 be too much? (also 95, 100, 105, 110, but that all seems to be just for big bore's)

The piston/cylinder head is the one area of my scooter I haven't dived into yet and I'm a bit apprehensive. Totally torn apart everything else.
86 Honda Aero 50
87 Elite 50-S parts ped
spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Post by spree-rider »

YOu dont need to upjet wen you mill the head
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

LocoParaHonda wrote:The piston/cylinder head is the one area of my scooter I haven't dived into yet and I'm a bit apprehensive. Totally torn apart everything else.
If you've torn apart everything else then you can handle the piston/cylinder head.

To de-carbon piston head you can soda blast it, use gasket remover or brake cleaner (spray some in a small container and soak piston head down in the gasket remover), or use a screw driver and finish with a wire brush. Having to remove the piston depends on how much carbon is on it, you might be able to use sea-foam to remove carbon after putting it back together.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

LocoParaHonda wrote:
martynkim wrote:Although, be sure to decarbonize your PISTON ON THE HEAD OF THE ACTUAL PISTON while you are there.
How do you do decarbonize the piston head of the actual piston? I couldn't find anything about that in the forums. Is that a flame torch thing or just a good going over with a wire brush, etc? Do you have to take the piston out of the scooter? I've never decarbed the piston and the odometer is at 4K, so if that's a maintenance thing, I'm probably due.
That sounds like a great idea. If I mill the cylinder head .030in could I also use a bigger jet? I'm buying a pack of jets from Daywot, included in the set is an 85 and a 90. Would 90 be too much? (also 95, 100, 105, 110, but that all seems to be just for big bore's)

The piston/cylinder head is the one area of my scooter I haven't dived into yet and I'm a bit apprehensive. Totally torn apart everything else.
You don't need all those jets.just buy a 85 and a 88.that's about the biggest you will need with the airbox on.run it with the airbox if not you will run into other jetting issues and you can seize the motor.the stock carbs has a fixed pilot jet. That's why you can't run it without the airbox without leaning out on closed throttle position.so leave the airbox on.
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r