Elite 80 Starting enrichment valve

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Elite 80 Starting enrichment valve

Post by breaze »

Hi all,
Just picked up a 2003 CH80 and an 84 Spree - I just wanted the Spree but the package deal was too good to turn down. Neither was running but both were complete and the Elite came with a 97 parts bike - almost complete except plastics and lights. The 2003 Elite and the Spree look great and the 3 were only $600.00 - they weren't running and had no batteries but I was hopeful it wouldn't be much of a project to get them there.

Started on the Elite first - broke it down, did the basics and got it to run. Now I'm waiting for an air filter and a few other parts before putting it back together and tuning.

Here is my question:

Looks like Honda has progressed from good ol' manual chokes to what they call a 'Starting Enrichment Thermal Valve'. I say "progressed", but I'm thinking "why?". The manual and parts diagrams show an o-ring on the base of the valve but mine is missing - missing on the parts bike also. Honda sells a gasket kit for over $30.00 - you can get them cheaper on e-bay but the display only shows 1 o-ring (assuming for the manifold connection).

OK, so here is my question - does anyone have a feel for how important this o-ring is for performance and cold starts? It seems to seal fairly well as-is - how bad do I need it?
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
hondabeat
Noob
Noob

Re: Elite 80 Starting enrichment valve

Post by hondabeat »

If you have the auto-bystarter, the o-ring is around the base where it goes on the carb. I cant see how it would disappear. Its bedded into a groove. If this is missing, you could put some solvent proof silicone around it to prevent an air leak but it should still run fine. I wouldn't bother about it, I think you should just leave it as it is.