Fast Idle and no power

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ninjatarian
Noob
Noob

Fast Idle and no power

Post by ninjatarian »

So my spree recently has lost a lot ofb power. My top speed is only around 20-23 on a flat surface and it has a real hard time going up hills. At first I attributed this to the cold weather (Minnesota) But yesterday it was fairly warm (around 45-55) and it had the same problem. Do you think it has a dirty carb or running to rich? It starts right up on the first kick and has a pretty fast idle. Any help is much appreciated.
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

when i found that my scoot had a hight idle i found that there was an air leak at the bystarter (autochoke or whatever else it is called). I fixed this by putting on a thicker (not bigger) o-ring on it creating a better seal. If this doesnt solve the problem then it might be something else.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Fast idle sounds like an air leak. Check your hoses off the intake and carb for air leaks. Get it fixed b/f you lean out and blow your motor.

Otherwise, check your compression, then the clutch shoes for wear. Tell us what you find out. Carb would be the 3rd thing to check, same with filter/airbox, but not likely the problem.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
ninjatarian
Noob
Noob

Post by ninjatarian »

I just stopped to look at my spree before I headed to bed and I noticed that the "air tube" going to the carb was completely off. I used the term "air tube" because I don't really know what I'm talking about. It's the big black tube attached to the carb on the right that goes to the airbox I believe. This explains the high idle, but does this also explain the loss of power? Any thoughts appreciated. I'm going to put it back on tomorrow and update you with any finding.
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

If you're engine is sounding like it's bogging, lacks acceleration, or has a similar issue when you give it throttle, and the idle is too high, then the disconnected air tube is most likely the culprit. My advice would be to make sure you tighten down that air tube to the carb well, confirm that the engine starts ok, then go from there. Let us know if that fixes the engine problems when you get around to re-installing the tube. :)

Good luck,
JF
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

wha??? high idle is cause by air leak... bogging out or loss of power = too rich...two completly different probs...
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

lack of power... clogged exoust... thats what i had.
ninjatarian
Noob
Noob

Post by ninjatarian »

Okay I fixed the tube coming from the airbox to the carb. That solved both problems. Now my top speed is definatly 25+ and can takle hills no problem. My only question remains is why did the tube coming off the carb effect my scooter the way it did. I would of thought that the tube off the carb would increase airflow into the carb, if that is the case was it running much much to lean? Thanks a bunch for everyones help.
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

I think I heard something about back-pressure from the airbox so that too much air wasnt going into the carb. So I think it might of been running....well........I don't know....either lean or rich....at least there are only two choices....
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

I would have to guess with all the extra air goin' through u were really running lean.