Unusual problem with spree...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

For the first question, I did check the compression when it was warm, was @125-127psi. Since I pretty much eliminated that possibility, I went on to the fuel system. Similar to what i said in an earlier post, I checked and re-checked the entire fuel delivery system. I tried tuning the carb differently, swapped carbs, tried different air-cleaners/no air-cleaner, even tried no carb, but nothing changed.

After that possibility was eliminated, I went on to the mysterious ignition system. So far I have:

1)Torn down the bike to the frame, did some maintenance, looked over and tested the entire wire harness.

2)Tested ALL of the resistance levels on every ignition and non-ignition related product. The only thing that was out of range was the alternator exciter coil, which in this case is the primary power coil for the ignition system. The reading I got was @705ohms, when it was supposed to be between 750-1200ohms.

3)Cleaned up the pickups and magnets on the stator and rotor with a light wire brush tool on my dremel.

4)And I bought brand new spark plugs, along with a brand new supposedly "high performance" ignition coil, but no difference was obtained.

The Conclusion I came to was this; The primary ignition coil on the stator might have already had a short somewhere in it, but it wasn't noticeable until I raised the compression. When that happened, there was a need for more voltage in order to cross the spark plug gap under the now higher compression. And because this happened right after a long high speed run(got it up to 36mph :D ), I'm betting that some of the shorted or faulty windings started to overheat, and started a chain reaction of shorts. And since it only got worse as I went on with testing and troubleshooting, that's the only logical explanation, considering what I've told you already. Since the new CDI unit probably won't do much, my problems should be solved once I get another stator plate, and hopefully I'll be able to ride the spree once again...

Oh and Darat, about that jet question; I believe you should be able to use that #87 jet in there, so long as you de-restrict the air-cleaner in small increments until you get the correct fuel/air ratio. Good Luck with the engine install :) .

JF
1978 Puch Free Spirit, a 1980 Honda NC50, a 1985 Honda Spree, and a 2005 Yamaha Zuma. Gotta love two-stroke power...:)
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

Well, today I just finished installing the replacement stator and CDI, and put it all together. It now runs, starts ok, and doesn't have any immediate problems. I did notice that the CDI I bought seems to have a slightly more retarded timing curve than my original one(could be good once I raise the compression). Only thing I need to do now is to re-hone the bore and get new rings, since the compression has been getting a little low lately. Of course there's always some gasket, nut, or part that's needed, but what's new.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate the time and effort you all put in on posting responses, and want to wish you all a merry Christmas, and a happy new year! :D

Thanks again,
JF
1978 Puch Free Spirit, a 1980 Honda NC50, a 1985 Honda Spree, and a 2005 Yamaha Zuma. Gotta love two-stroke power...:)
uspmale
Spree
Spree

Post by uspmale »

Jf,
I hope your Spree runs now that you have the parts correctly assembled.

I'm offering honed cylinders,new OEM pistons and ring, gaskets.
This is plug and play top end overhaul.
E-Mail if interested.
greg
e_racer1999
Noob
Noob

Post by e_racer1999 »

JF - where did you get your CDI and stator and how much? i went to the dealership today and they quoted me like $400 for both!
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

no it is a 85
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
JF
BMX
BMX

Post by JF »

e_racer1999 wrote:JF - where did you get your CDI and stator and how much? i went to the dealership today and they quoted me like $400 for both!
I bought the CDI off of ebay for around $20 with shipping(one of those first come, first serve kind of things). You can still search places like "ebay" and "I offer", which is where I got my stator from. It was used, dirty and rusty, but it came with the rotor, fan, and the pulser unit. It was a decent price, around $30 for everything, and it fixed the problem I was having with starting.

It just goes to show that you never go to the dealer first; always(with certain exceptions)look up the part(s) you need elsewhere, and shop around for the best deal. If there isn't anything avaliable used/new, or you need like a gasket or something, then go to local or online dealers and look for the best deal among them.

Well I hope this information was usefull to you, and I wish you the best of luck on your parts hunt. :)

JF
e_racer1999
Noob
Noob

Post by e_racer1999 »

sweet! thanks for the info!