removing restrictor inside the muffler

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

Re: removing restrictor inside the muffler

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Man, check the dates on this thread! Surely someone since has offered an explanation, perhaps in Technical Documents?

If you are looking down into the cylinder, holding your Craftsman drill, Hold it RAT THAR, Pard! The restriction is in the exhaust pipe header, down into the Black Hole of the exhaust pipe, not the cylinder. If something down in there cones down to a quarter-inch, that's your restriction. If something in your CYLINDER exhaust port does the same, that's a bunch of carbon. Can it be scraped out with a hard plastic or wood scraper? If so, go nuts.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Rowbear
BMX
BMX

Post by Rowbear »

thank you, next time I take the muffler off I'll see if I can get some of that carbon out of there. I didn't see any kind of restrictor in the head of the muffler though, maybe it's been removed already. Is my spree possibly staying under 25 mph because I've been pre-mixing gas un-wittingly while my oil pump is adding extra oil to the fuel? What I'm saying is, would too much oil in the fuel slow the spree down?
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Too much (~doubling...) the oil might indeed slow it down, but I suspect the Cone O' Carbon you're seeing is covering that restrictiing washer. Poke around in there with something sharp.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Rowbear
BMX
BMX

Post by Rowbear »

the cone of carbon isn't in the muffler though, it's in the part attached to the engine, that's why I can't get a real good look at it because of the frame being in the way. I did take it back off and tried some carb cleaner plus a screw driver to scrape but it felt like metal to me and I know what a carbon deposit feels like because I drive a geo metro (they get them in the egr really bad)
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Too much oil will make it run lean. The fuel is what cools your motor and adding oil is taking away fuel.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.