anyone bought an aftermarket ramp, then variator

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

trains420
Spree
Spree

anyone bought an aftermarket ramp, then variator

Post by trains420 »

i'm looking for someone who's done this. bought an aftermarket ramp plate. tehn put it on their stock variator. then bought a aftermarket variator for it. which was teh best running? how was the aftermarket ramp, then you put a aftermarket variator on, how was it?

just broke my variator today and wondering. i don't know how it broke, i got a set of them polini roller weights, and actually one side of the sliders that comes with them is bigger, and i might not of paid attention when i changed belts. i started noticing my scooter was shifting at different time. and i thought i had got water in my clutch. then it started riding weird. i was riding down the road and heard, bang. i thought, crap i just broke the belt. and i was like, im going to have to call somebody, but tehn i gave it a little bit of gas, and it was pulling, and i was like what broke. then i thought that thing i bought that has bearings and goes in the clutch. i thought i just washed my scooter, and i been getting it wet, i got water in it, and the bearings dried out and the contra spring got stuck and just broke. so i rode home slow. and the bang was loud, so i was like, that was the belt, it was loud, uh i think something broke, off. maybe i hit something. the scooter vibrated. i didn't let it shift.
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 004.jpg (157.04 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
i'm not for sure what broke it, i think maybe switching roller wieghts, and having mixed weights, they where opposite. maybe the polini sliders, they go on one way and maybe i didn't look, about 3 weeks ago when i put a new belt on. i don't know cause i didn't look, and i only had 2 anyway. i'll never use tem again all they do is slide. uhhg. i'm not for sure what broke it, the little things the sliders slide on where wore off at the top, so i can't buy a ramp plate. it sucks, was the first thing i thought of. then i thought i could buy a ramp plage, but the things are broke off. crap. ahh. the stock variator isn't really too bad, i lost some top speed, and it doesn't have the big sound of a different gear. i was thinking maybe it was everytime i took off, it's like uh, you konw, like rrrrr rrrr real fast kind of. like almost could pull a wheelie. tried to walk my bike one day when it had a flat tire and give it gas, so i wouldn't have to push it, and i just kept running after it.
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: anyone bought an aftermarket ramp, then variator

Post by evilone »

trains420 wrote:and having mixed weights, they where opposite.
Good possibility. What do you mean by opposite? If you had heavier rollers across from lighter rollers the plate would want to flex and break.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Dunno, dawg... It'd take an awfully unbalanced load to shear off those three guides and fracture the plate. Lots of people here mix rollers without incident.

It looks more likely that the variator nut got loose for some reason, the variator casting jammed up against something, and crankshaft momentum did the rest. If the assembly was still tight when you removed the belt cover, then I'd suspect the misassembled Polini sliders were causing it to jam too tight. The Polini Blue guides are designed to fit the Polini ramp plate only. They may fit some others, but I haven't found much luck using any other plate with those sliders. The "skinny" side of the sliders must go into the notches to the back of the ramp plate. The casting has to slide easily in and out.

If it was "jammed" in, it could have put too much pressure for the aluminum casting to withstand.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

if them roller weights aren't evenly balanced. i put the polini spacers on, they didn't come with instructions. i didn't think. i was in a hurry when i put my belt on last, and the variator looked fine. i checked it, where the spacers go up and down for wear. and it was fine. all i wanted was the polini roller weights. ah noone said anything about it, and when i got them i looked at them and put them on. and took time with them, and seen how the spacers went on the variator and went, that's neat. but didn't think anything about it. i was in a hurry last time. i didn't think about it, noone said anything, and i was in a hurry, just changing belts, so i just put it together. ahh. but who knows. i don't. i'm sticking, im telling you from now on, it's just spacers, to the little black ones stock. i lost a spacer, so i don't know, and i didn't look at it when i got it off. it looked like it was smooth, but i don't know, half of it's missing. i don't know, could of been when i take off it wants to wheelie. that's a kn kikaku variator. uh. could of been uneven spaced roller weights. not even apart. i had heavy light. around so. i guess i'll see if my stock variator will break, then i'll see what's going on. i guess i'm lucky it didn't tear up anything else in there. i thought the belt broke and i was like ahh. brand new stock belt. but i gave it a little gas and it went. any suggestions on a different variator? ruima, prodigy? i'll clean everything in my cvt case. looking for acceleration anyone like them variators?
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

I like the prodigy and the keli.

They are both priced about the same on ebay, but the prodigy one comes with the ramp plate too.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
808BMW
Elite
Elite

Post by 808BMW »

I've seem some pretty mixed roller setups and none have had a problem. From what I gather did you have all 3 ramp guides in or just 2?
In 2040 they say we're going away
We could never let them control
Hawaiian man, take back your hawaiian land
trains420
Spree
Spree

Post by trains420 »

no. i don't know if the roller wieghts wheren't spaced apart evenly, then they would push unevenly. i had 3 sliders. polini. didn't pay attention when i took them out, then put them which i had 2 left, look at the picture, on my stock variator. and put it on and it was all tight, then looked at the sliders, and noticed they lokoed different, and then tried putting them back on again, and seen 1 side went out. i rememberd when i got them doing that, just didn't remember last time, but i checked the variator, so i don't know really. i don't think. i might of put them on wrong, and they where tight, but i don't know. i don't know it just went bang, like a gun scared the crap outta me. thougt the contra spring was broke. rode home going 15. but on the stock variator, with 2 sliders in wrong, it was tight pushing it up and down. i still got a variator and them ramps and i coujld make a video, but the sliders are bigger and smaller. one side is fatter, and if they don't go on right, then they stick out and push against the variaotr and you can't get them on. the ramp plate would of been tight. i can't remember, i think it was, but i can't be for sure. i don't really remember.