Poor running spree times two

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

smsudad
Noob
Noob

Poor running spree times two

Post by smsudad »

Hi all, You were able to help me once and I'm thanking you by returning for some more advice. I have 2 sprees doing the same thing an 85 and an 86 50 cc both will start but not idle..... both will run poorly sputtering but I can coax them to rev up a little. if I hold the throttle at one setting they will eventually catch up and then run all the way to max. On the way back down they will spit and sputter again and die when they get to idle. I have cleaned both carbs 3 or more times....... i have swapped the CDI from a good running scoot and it doesn't help. When I turn the throttle it just seems to starve both of them. Thanks if anyone has any suggestions. Whatever I'm doing wrong I seem to have it mastered
Last edited by smsudad on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Poor running spree times two

Post by Bear45-70 »

Are the air filter boxes intact and sealed up with good air filters in them?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Smooooth
BMX
BMX

Post by Smooooth »

Have you checked the functionality of the Bystarter?

I just replaced one in a Elite 150 because someone installed the wrong one - I was too long.

Stephen
85 Elite Deluxe - Nassau Blue Metallic - Wife's
86 Spree Special - Shasta White/Lollipop Green - For my wife, originally
74 CT70 K3 - Candy Ruby Red - 'Mutt' - In progress
72 CT70 K1 - Candy Ruby Red - 'Factory Flaw' - Back Burner
smsudad
Noob
Noob

Post by smsudad »

Yes the airboxes are in good shape with new filters. I can remove air intake tube and hold finger over opening and restrict the air and it runs better but I have no answer for why if I don't, I'll check the bystarters again but they seem to be working, is there a bypass for the bystarter to find out if its the problem? its warm enough here right now that they shouldn't be necessary.......... thanks
smsudad
Noob
Noob

Post by smsudad »

I checked the Bystarters and they both seem to be identical with the one from the good running scoot tried swapping them and same thing happening. also put new hoses on fuel and vacuum
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Have you tried adjusting the air and idle screws on the carb?
Warm up the engine and turn air screw clockwise until the engine begins to stall. Then turn it counterclockwise until the engine reaches its highest rpms. Leave the air screw setting there. Now go to idle screw and turn down until you hear a nice even idle. The back wheel should just be at the point where it is not turning when up on the centerstand.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

smsudad wrote:...................................................... I can remove air intake tube and hold finger over opening and restrict the air and it runs better but I have no answer for why if I don't,..... thanks
This says there is too much air or not enough fuel getting into the engine. To much air means a vacuum leak somewhere. Not enough fuel means you have carb issues.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree