Wheel keeps going flat, hoping for simple fix

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Wheel keeps going flat, hoping for simple fix

Post by Ziraya »

So a few days back I came out after work and found my rear tire flat, logically I assumed vandals and pushed it up the street to the gas station, hoping they'd just let the air out.

Unfortunately the next day the tire was flat again; the pump at the gas station was partially busted, it's meter didn't work and I went conservative on it so I thought maybe there wasn't enough pressure to make a proper seal, so I filled it up again, 38 PSI. After filling it up I noticed the valve was hissing, irregularly, with a little jiggling I managed to make it stop and put the cap on tight. A few hours later I checked the pressure and it's down to 36 PSI, now it did drop in temperature a good ten degrees and I've got rather large hands to fit into that little hole the valve stem is in.

I did manage to ride home on it the first night, so it has to be a slow leak, but I'm not convinced the valve is fast enough.

So, could it be the valve? And if so is there any simple way to fix it? I assume some of that Slime stuff isn't going to do much for a mechanical failure, maybe there's some sort of super cap I can buy?
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Wheel keeps going flat, hoping for simple fix

Post by bradthreee »

I am assuming that you have a tube type wheel. If so you cannot just replace the valve, you would need a new tube. Ive tried that slime stuff on my bicycle and it worked great for a while but by no means was it a permanent fix. Notice any punctures in the tire?
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

The pressure stayed stable over night so I'm going to assume it's fine for now (that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!)
Like I said it's a slow leak, so I'll take my battery pump and replace the tube in a few weeks when I can't ride it anyways. Or sell it.
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Re: Wheel keeps going flat: Attack of the Unspecified White Foam

Post by Ziraya »

So the tire went flat again tonight, it's definitely some sort of physical problem so I grabbed a bottle of Slime, temporary fix now is better than waiting until I have the time and ability to find out if anybody nearby sells the tube, fail, then order it online and wait one to two weeks. Reading the directions in the isle it said I had to take the valve core out, seeing as that was the only part with an obvious problem, the hissing, I grabbed some new ones of those too. So I get home, take the start to take the core out, and bang, well more a pop. the remover tool popped out of my hands, the old core disappeared to some unknown corner of my garage, and an off-white foam started pouring out, and it didn't stop. It settled a bit so I started the slime, and it just popped the tube off. Eventually I get the bright idea to turn the wheel upsidedown and use a clamp to squeeze the slime in, and I managed to get the new core in (technically the first new core also shot off to that corner of the garage, but the second went in with no problem, then I pumped it up.

So the two odd things, random off-white ooze in my tire, and when I was pumping it up, for about seven tenths of a second the meter on my pump jumped from 20PSI to 90PSI (and then back), which I guess could have been something getting caught in the valvestem for a sec.

Big question, the ooze got on my hand, do I have cancer now?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

It sounds like you did not read the instructions on the Slime can and follow them which is why you had these issues.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

bottle, and yes I did, four times before leaving the store then again before I did it

here, from memory

step 1, remove anything stabbing your tire
step 2, remove cap from bottle, use the cap to remove the valve core
step 3, attach tube and install slime
step 4, reinsert valve core
step 5, refill tire with air, if there is a puncture rotate the tire so it is on the bottom.

Nowhere does it say anything about there already being a white foaming liquid inside the tire
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Two things, first the "WHEEL" is not flat, the "TIRE" is. second, did you immediately either spin the tire or ride the scooter after you put the stuff in so as to distribute the Slime so it does not cause your wheel and tire to be unbalanced? Second who cares what came out as long as the tire gets sealed up. Ask Slime why it does this as it isn't the scooters fault.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

the white ooze came out before the slime was involved, I did mention that, I take the valve core out, and then the white ooze. It in fact does not mention to ride it afterwards, it says that if you're putting it in as a repair, put the puncture at the bottom, otherwise, you are done.

I did rev it lightly for a minute or so just to be safe, but the freezing rain and crotchal numbness prevented me from taking it out for a ride
hammer
Goped
Goped

Post by hammer »

I suggest. Take the wheel off. Remove the tire and tube. Have the tube patched or replace it with a new one. Clean the wheel and inspect the tire. If you patch your old tube replace the valve stem core before you reinstall. Be careful when remounting tire not to pinch the tube. If it is beyond ability take it to a service station or a tire dealer to get it done right.

Rule number one. If it is worth doing it it is worth doing right. Slime is a crutch and no worth the effort or cost except to limp home on.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

The Smegma emanating from behind the valve suggests that a liquid patch has been performed before. The solution is temporary, as stated, and evidently has reached the end of its effectiveness.

A tube can be purchased for about ten bucks. Buy one, and be careful installing, as suggested. Then ride with confidence.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH