86 Honda Spree Runs but Won't Charge Battery

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: 86 Honda Spree Runs but Won't Charge Battery

Post by mousewheels »

Pic a bit fuzzy to read all labels on the banana jacks - looks correct near as I can read. The Black connection is the one I can't read the labels well enough for.

The photo of of the meter connected for the current leakage test is correct.

-- Verify Amps scale is working --
Your meter looks to have a 2000mA limit and the labeling says there is a fuse in the meter. If the meter fuse is blown a 0.00 measurement is guaranteed :). Therefore, if you are performing a test where the 'expected' measurement also is zero, it's good to verify you meter is working on the Amps scale. You can use the setup you have, set the meter to the 2000mA scale, then turn on the ign switch. The taillight should draw about 3/4 amp. Don't turn on the blinkers or pull the brake lever, they will blow the fuse in you meter.
sonnyneu
Noob
Noob

Post by sonnyneu »

I have 2 87 sprees and they both started losing the charge the other day. This got me to thinking about different senerios of posibilities. It made me wonder how long does it actually take to charge up the battery while driving a spree? Reason I am asking, the batteries are ok everything checks out. I got to thinking about how we use the sprees. WE commute to work which is only about 15-20 minute drive work our shift which can be 6 hours up to 10 hours then commute back home. This morning we both had fully charged batteries and mine started right up and I went to work did my 10 hours and came out and it started right up. I get home wife didnt drive hers today it just sat and it started right up. So it got me to thinking that the batteries drain slow through out the week and we really don't drive them long enought to fully charge them back up. Is this a correct assumption? I think I may just have to put the sprees on the charger after the week. Good thing is they both have kick starts!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Yes, there is a constant current draw thru the rectifier/regulator that will drain the battery. You should use a battery maintainer to keep the battery fully charged.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic- ... 42292.html
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
sonnyneu
Noob
Noob

Post by sonnyneu »

Thanks Bear, I figured thats most likely the best thing. I got one guess I should pick up another and thats a good price too.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

With the voltmeter, to verify charging, hook up across battery + and - terminals. Check voltage at off (should be ~12.5V). Start bike, rev engine up on stand. Voltage should rise no more than ~14.5 V. If it goes higher (or doesn't go up at all, which is more common) the regulator's shot. In this case, replace the regulator b/f you blow the headlight.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products