Air Filter for '87 SE50 Elite

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Skipper20
Goped
Goped

Air Filter for '87 SE50 Elite

Post by Skipper20 »

Just how important is servicing the air filter for a '87 SE50 Elite with 1,460 original miles? When I bought the scoot 3 weeks ago the seller said she had never serviced the air filter. I haven't pulled the side panel to check it but the scooter runs so well I'm wondering if I need to bother. You know the old saying "if it aint broke, don't try and fix it". The scoot starts immediately, kick start or electric, idles without hesitation, accelerates smoothly and runs flat out at 38 mph. So, should I really bother with the air filter?

Bill in Seattle :coolcruise:
'87 SE50 Elite
'86 CH150D Elite
'87 Helix 250
'02 Reflex 250
Wheelman-111

Re: Air Filter for '87 SE50 Elite

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

At some point chunks of 25 year-old foam may start to crumble, break off, and foul your reed valves. Might be worth a little trouble to have a look.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Do you replace the filters in your car? They are about $5 from Honda. Just get one.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
eliteguy50
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by eliteguy50 »

The problem with that saying is that your air filter (aka filter element) may be broke and you don't know because you haven't taken off the cover to look. Sometimes it doesn't even crumble, it just turns into a goo and makes a mess of the intake. Lean conditions can even cause serious engine damage.
motormike wrote:Errands become adventures.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

eliteguy50 wrote:The problem with that saying is that your air filter (aka filter element) may be broke and you don't know because you haven't taken off the cover to look. Sometimes it doesn't even crumble, it just turns into a goo and makes a mess of the intake. Lean conditions can even cause serious engine damage.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

At some point chunks of 25 year-old foam may start to crumble, break off, and foul your reed valves. Might be worth a little trouble to have a look.

Yes indeed. This has happened to me too. :surprise:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
Skipper20
Goped
Goped

Post by Skipper20 »

eliteguy50 wrote:The problem with that saying is that your air filter (aka filter element) may be broke and you don't know because you haven't taken off the cover to look. Sometimes it doesn't even crumble, it just turns into a goo and makes a mess of the intake. Lean conditions can even cause serious engine damage.
OK, good point. When I bought my new tires, I ordered a new filter element too so I'll check out the old one and replace it just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your comments and thanks also to the others who responded. Happy New Year!

Bill in Seattle :coolcruise: