Question about crankshaft removal

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

devenex
Elite
Elite

Re: Question about crankshaft removal

Post by devenex »

I picked up the steering wheel puller for $9 at HF and have the wood just sitting around. So I'm looking at the additional cost of bolts and washers to enable it to press the crank out. :smile:

As for putting it back in...$60 for the tusk :(
1986 Spree w/ '87 SE50 motor
1985 Aero 50 w/ Dio motor: On Hold
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Try this one http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/ ... -Separator and save the mallet for the light stuff. Yes, I've used a mallet too.

Happy Trails! :coolcruise:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

I have re-installed 2 cranks using washers - not sure how wise but it seems to be the same concept as a puller and both situations turned out well. Obviously a Tusk puller is the way to go, but if you are short on cash...

I stacked washers up to the nut on the end of each side (one side at a time) and tightened the nut - gradually pulling the shaft through. You can pull it about a quarter of an inch each time, then add another washer or two and repeat. It takes a little longer, but seems to work fine. In my case, the one thing I have plenty of is old washers in different sizes.

I am not a physicist (probably can't even spell it right) or an experienced mechanic, so I am not recommending this method, just throwing out an alternative for comments.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Fortunately the shaft is a pretty soft fit into its bearings. Still it would be a pity to bugger those fine threads on the end of the crank itself. I'd make sure that the washer stack leaves plenty of thread exposed for the nut to pull on, and work it in using very short (like, less than 4mm) "steps". Otherwise, too few threads engaged could strip off the shaft before it moved over the inner bearing race. Exercise great caution as the shaft shoulder bottoms out, too!

The Tusk Puller engages ALL of the threaded section, then has honkin'-big-* Mega-Threads on the tool to do the hard work. I can get a crank installed in just a few minutes using it.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

Good point - wouldn't be the first time that scrimping on tools ended up costing me more by screwing something up.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Got the crank out, thanks for all the advice everyone. Used a piece of 2x6 I had laying around and the HF steering wheel puller. The only parts I had to go out and get were the bolts, costing a whopping $1.20.

Heres some picks (crank successfully pressed out already):

It was in there pretty tight. Didn't budge as I kept turning the bolt, all while carefully watching the 2x6, then a finally a pop sound and the crank started moving. :geekdance:

If you look carefully you can see some bits of the rings:
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

devenex wrote:
If you look carefully you can see some bits of the rings:
Good thing you decided to do a total rebuild. :surprise:
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight
devenex
Elite
Elite

Post by devenex »

Trafficjamz wrote:Good thing you decided to do a total rebuild. :surprise:
Only about 2/3rds of both rings were on the piston, with the rest nowhere in sight. And no pieces were found when I first split the case. Somehow everything went to the toughest place to get to, go figure. :roll:

But I've had fun getting this motor apart, hopefully everything goes as smoothly when its time to go back together.
Trafficjamz
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Trafficjamz »

devenex wrote:
Trafficjamz wrote:Good thing you decided to do a total rebuild. :surprise:
Only about 2/3rds of both rings were on the piston, with the rest nowhere in sight. And no pieces were found when I first split the case. Somehow everything went to the toughest place to get to, go figure. :roll:

But I've had fun getting this motor apart, hopefully everything goes as smoothly when its time to go back together.

The tusk puller makes it pretty simple.

Place the bearings in the freezer and heat up the case with a heat gun, and you will have no problems installing the bearings.
new best 1/8th mile time 9.647 seconds @67.155 mph 310lbs total weight