Tuning sucks!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Tuning sucks!

Post by abreen89 »

i have an '85 spree it cuts out at wot every 1/2 mile or so and if i go from WOT to closed back to WOT it take a few seconds for power to come back. it not electrical because the engine is still running just no power.

so this is what i did....
I have been tuning for hours and now it is worse.... I set the air screw the one closest to the by starter to 1 7/8 turns out then I tuned the idle screw until it was running smooth then I adjustedn the air screw until I had highest rpm and adjusted idle screw to smooth it out and my problem has worsened each time I've done it now I can't even got 300 ft without it cutting out.. Frustration is setting in.......
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Tuning sucks!

Post by bakaracer »

are you running the bike without the airbox?
Nothing like getting stroked!
Thanks to my sponsors
Nos Energy Drinks,themopedcompany.com,nwautoevents.com,Cycle Gear
90 honda dio sp 72cc
87 elite 50 s with 86cc watercooled mini stroke
87 elite 50 race bike mhr 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
motormike

Post by motormike »

Go back to the initial air-screw setting of 1 7/8 out. MAYBE the gas is recovering too slowly into the bowl because of restricted flow somewhere in the line, petcock, screen, filter, float valve....whatever you can check....also the tank cap may not be venting...sounds likely in your case.
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

bakaracer wrote:are you running the bike without the airbox?
I am running it with stock airbox very firmly attached to carb.
motormike wrote:Go back to the initial air-screw setting of 1 7/8 out. MAYBE the gas is recovering too slowly into the bowl because of restricted flow somewhere in the line, petcock, screen, filter, float valve....whatever you can check....also the tank cap may not be venting...sounds likely in your case.
I am running with a loose gas cap just to make sure thats not the problem, petcock flows easy i have new clear lines going to the carb with fuel filter i can see gas flowing easy into the carb.
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

I would say that its probably time to clean the carb, if you can see gas freely flowing to the carb, then it only would really leave the carb and by starter to trouble shoot.
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

turtle13 wrote:I would say that its probably time to clean the carb, if you can see gas freely flowing to the carb, then it only would really leave the carb and by starter to trouble shoot.

yea i thought so too ive cleaned it 4 times soaked it in carb cleaner 3 times over night......
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

pull the plug and see what it looks like. check to see if you have a exhaust leak or intake leak somewhere.
Last edited by bakaracer on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

abreen89 wrote:i have an '85 spree it cuts out at wot every 1/2 mile or so and if i go from WOT to closed back to WOT it take a few seconds for power to come back. it not electrical because the engine is still running just no power.

I have been tuning for hours and now it is worse.... I set the air screw the one closest to the by starter to 1 7/8 turns out then I tuned the idle screw until it was running smooth then I adjustedn the air screw until I had highest rpm and adjusted idle screw to smooth it out and my problem has worsened each time I've done it now I can't even got 300 ft without it cutting out.. Frustration is setting in.......

Engine is too lean. add 1 oz of oil to the tank. I suspect you are still breaking in. Quit going WOT on it, your gonna break something soon.

If I am wrong, what did you lose? 1 oz of oil and possibly a plug that fouled. Nothing wrong with running rich ever. Just need to find the proper mix to find power.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

martynkim wrote:
abreen89 wrote:i have an '85 spree it cuts out at wot every 1/2 mile or so and if i go from WOT to closed back to WOT it take a few seconds for power to come back. it not electrical because the engine is still running just no power.

Engine is too lean. add 1 oz of oil to the tank. I suspect you are still breaking in. Quit going WOT on it, your gonna break something soon.

If I am wrong, what did you lose? 1 oz of oil and possibly a plug that fouled. Nothing wrong with running rich ever. Just need to find the proper mix to find power.

i have a new plug in and a ngk on order. I have ran 3 tanks of mix through the new top end to brake in never going over WOT. im on my 5th tank since then i am adding sea foam and plug chops check out to be in the great range according to wikispreedia. i will ad some oil on my next tank to see what that does though. but according to plug thats not problem
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

how much are you premixing? if your using the stock main jet and premixing more than 1 oz in the tank, its leaning out at wot. check for exhaust or intake leak too. sometimes they dont show up till after the engine gets hot. that is the number one reason guys seize their motors.
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

abreen89 wrote:
motormike wrote:Go back to the initial air-screw setting of 1 7/8 out. MAYBE the gas is recovering too slowly into the bowl because of restricted flow somewhere in the line, petcock, screen, filter, float valve....whatever you can check....also the tank cap may not be venting...sounds likely in your case.
I am running with a loose gas cap just to make sure thats not the problem, petcock flows easy i have new clear lines going to the carb with fuel filter i can see gas flowing easy into the carb.
at any point is the fuel line going in a up hill direction?
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

bakaracer wrote:
abreen89 wrote:
at any point is the fuel line going in a up hill direction?

no it goes straight from petcock to inline filter to carb straight slant i cut it so it would fit with out any slack..
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Keep a little extra oil in that tank just to be on the safe side. Unless you want to replace the piston again. Only go WOT for a minute or so dont run it all out. Give it time to cool, that's why you are cutting out.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

martynkim wrote:Keep a little extra oil in that tank just to be on the safe side. Unless you want to replace the piston again. Only go WOT for a minute or so dont run it all out. Give it time to cool, that's why you are cutting out.

okay but shouldnt i be able to go WOT longer then a minute or do you have to baby theses scooter? and When i go WOT to closed back to WOT it doesnt respond for a few seconds does this still sound like an oil problem?
bakaracer
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by bakaracer »

you should be able to run that thing at wot for more than 2 minutes if its stock. did you rebore that cylinder? what oil are you using?
Thanks to my sponsors
90 honda dio sp 72cc
91 yamaha tzr 250r