85 Aero 50 HELP!!!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 85 Aero 50 HELP!!!!

Post by Bear45-70 »

Aeromatics wrote:I can see light through all 3 jets... The only one that looks a little suspect is the jet next to the main one... Which is so small I'm not even sure if it's a jet. And yes, I took apart the whole thing, not just the bowl. Don't kno how to do a compression test... I'm * cuz I kno my mechanic will fix it in 5 minutes n charge me 100 bucks... Any other ideas, let me kno.

Oh, and trash day is Friday Morning.
3 jets???? What three jets?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

85 Aero 50 HELP!!!!

Post by abreen89 »

I think he means three tubes bear .. They aren't 3 jets in ure carb man

And don't use starting fluid in a 2 stroke use a gas to oil mixture 1:32 or so should do
'89 Honda Elite SB50p STOCK
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 STOCK sold
'85 Honda Spree NQ50 48mm bbk, taz gears, 18mm carb w/ ct intake
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock In The Works ;)
'86 Honda Aero NB50 Stock
Aeromatics
BMX
BMX

Post by Aeromatics »

Thanks for the link to wikispreedia, but i've already read that 100 times (and just about everything else in there). However, it doesn't even include pics of the jet in the bowl. Doesn't that seem kind of important? As far as taking the carb apart its a good reference, but doesn't include the details of exactly what to do once its been disassembled, or what specifically needs to be cleaned. (Don't worry, im gonna make a thread with exact pics of what to clean in the carb, once i get my aero running. For everyone else who looked at the thread and couldn't figure what the idle/pilot jets are)

Which brings to my next question.. I've hosed my carb down with spray carb cleaner, and compressed air. I've read online that spray carb cleaner is no good, and to buy the gallon, and let it soak over night. Does this sound like what i need to do? Or is there just 1 small hole im missing here?

And Bear, didnt mean to offend with the 3 jets comment. I know there is a main jet, which unscrews. There is another small hole in the bowl, (which i assume is a jet), and also next to the main jet there is an INCREDIBLY SMALL hole which comes out a tube on the other side (Not sure what this is, but i assumed it's some sort of jet) thats what i meant by all 3. If im wrong, please correct me, and let me now what im missing that needs to be cleaned..
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

Aeromatics wrote:Thanks for the link to wikispreedia, but i've already read that 100 times (and just about everything else in there). However, it doesn't even include pics of the jet in the bowl. Doesn't that seem kind of important? As far as taking the carb apart its a good reference, but doesn't include the details of exactly what to do once its been disassembled, or what specifically needs to be cleaned. (Don't worry, im gonna make a thread with exact pics of what to clean in the carb, once i get my aero running. For everyone else who looked at the thread and couldn't figure what the idle/pilot jets are)

Which brings to my next question.. I've hosed my carb down with spray carb cleaner, and compressed air. I've read online that spray carb cleaner is no good, and to buy the gallon, and let it soak over night. Does this sound like what i need to do? Or is there just 1 small hole im missing here?

And Bear, didnt mean to offend with the 3 jets comment. I know there is a main jet, which unscrews. There is another small hole in the bowl, (which i assume is a jet), and also next to the main jet there is an INCREDIBLY SMALL hole which comes out a tube on the other side (Not sure what this is, but i assumed it's some sort of jet) thats what i meant by all 3. If im wrong, please correct me, and let me now what im missing that needs to be cleaned..

Alright man im going to try and be nice..... the bowl is the name of the part of the carb that u take the screw off and attaches to the carb the only movable part in the bowl is the drain!!
carb bowl jet.jpg
carb bowl jet.jpg (116.86 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
the jet it the thing with the tiny hole and needs to be soaked in carb clean and blasted with compressed air. i take apart the whole carb and soak it in carb clean by the gallon.
valve neadle float.jpg
valve neadle float.jpg (100.29 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
the needle valve is where the gas comes in and is always where my problme is soack the whole carb assembly in carb clean and blast it out with compreesed air. also make sure the float needle isnt scratched.
etubecottonswab.jpg
etubecottonswab.jpg (124.9 KiB) Viewed 5727 times
next use a cotton swab to push out the emulsion tube AFTER you take out the JET (only jet...) soack all these parts in carb clean and blow with compressed air

(dont soak rubber pieces in carb clean)

BY THE WAY ALL OF THESE PICS AND INFORMATION WERE FOUND ON WIKISPREEDIA DONT JUST LOOK AT THE PICTURES READ!!!
turtle13
Elite
Elite

Post by turtle13 »

as well as the other pictures have indicated, you HAVE to clean the pilot jet. it gets clogged very easily, and can be quite a pain to clean if fully clogged. best way to clean is with an 11 gauge guitar string or similarly sized piece of stiff wire, spray in cleaner and let soak, poke around in both sides of the jet, blow out with compressed air and repeat untill you can get a pin * of light through it or a steady stream of air or carb cleaner to flow through it.
Attachments
valve neadle float.jpg
valve neadle float.jpg (103.72 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
'85 aero Malossi BBK w/ Malossi gears, Malossi head, Polini Ruckus Vari and Malossi Wild Lion exhaust
'62 125cc Honda cub
'78 50 special Vespa Small frame
Aeromatics
BMX
BMX

Post by Aeromatics »

Wow, thanks for the pics and descriptions. Now i can tell you that i've taken out the main jet, but never the emulsion tube. I've also never fully taken off the idle speed screw or Air mix screw. Are those things that i need to take of and cleaned for sure? Im like 90% sure that my issue is the pilot jets clogged, but cant figure out how to get down in there to clean the small hole. I ordered a carb cleaning kit off ebay (not here yet), but i'll try to find that guitar wire this weekend instead. What about that small hole in the bowl? Throw a pic of that up as well, just for those who follow this thread years from now, lol.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

what small whole in the bowl??? the only thing in the bowl is the drain and that doesnt affect carb operation at all...

BTW ALL OF THESE PICS WERE COPY AND PASTED FROM THE WIKISPREEDIA.COM WHICH YOU APPARENTLY LIED ABOUT READING
Aeromatics
BMX
BMX

Post by Aeromatics »

The bowl hole im takin about is the bystarter metering orifice, or at least thats what its labeled as in the thread "trying to start buddys elite", and how you think i got my carb apart if i aint look at those pics? What those pics are lacking is descriptions. That why im up in here not knowing the name of these parts n gettin attitude back for it. In fact i got a quick link page in my iphone to the wikispreedia. Thanks for the pics tho, cleared a lot up for me.

Dont hate on the :newb: , went from zero experience, to taken apart carbs, and figuring out how the bike works within the week.
Fishman43
Elite
Elite

Post by Fishman43 »

It is a steep learning curve but keep at it, you will be modding with the rest soon enough!
Aeromatics
BMX
BMX

Post by Aeromatics »

SUCCESS! After the 6th time of cleaning the carb she just fired up... The guy who did the restoration had it running rich with a super low idle speed. I tuned the mixture to about 1 7/8 from full like posted in wiki. My idle may be a little bit high now, but she sounds and runs better than ever. Any further tips for now about carb tuning? Exactly where should the idle be at?

Gonna let her rest now, and see if she fires up in the morning...

:peace: Scoot Scoot Scoot :coolcruise: , lol.
abreen89
CB900F
CB900F

Post by abreen89 »

GOOD JOB :thumbwink:
geezer101
Goped
Goped

Post by geezer101 »

Score one for the noobs! A pet hate of mine is 'manual malfunction' where you get a pic of a disassembly procedure missing the stuff you really need, and I see that issue all too often with...carbies. Good luck with the tuning, you'll nail it easy now it's running. :2thumbs:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Way to go getting the carb sorted out :thumbwink:
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Aeromatics
BMX
BMX

Post by Aeromatics »

OK, so i got her up n running. Fires up instantly, and sounds better than ever, but now theres a new problem. While driving i've noticed it slipping. When i am turning the throttle i feel the bike die for a second or two then keeps going. Why is it choking like this? Is it that the carb isn't fully cleaned? I'm assuming this is the issue. Any ideas please let me know.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Aeromatics wrote:OK, so i got her up n running. Fires up instantly, and sounds better than ever, but now theres a new problem. While driving i've noticed it slipping. When i am turning the throttle i feel the bike die for a second or two then keeps going. Why is it choking like this? Is it that the carb isn't fully cleaned? I'm assuming this is the issue. Any ideas please let me know.
This stumble is a classic example of too lean. Try raising the needle.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree