bystarter problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

pod4444
Goped
Goped

bystarter problem

Post by pod4444 »

for some reason the brass shaft on my bystarter (not the needle part)keeps getting stuck in the carb.so i tried a different carb and different bystarter and it did the same thing.ive had several sprees and have never ran into this issue before.usually i take the 2 small bolts out and i can pull it right out. i left the bystarter out and it ran better for some reason but its a pain to start cold.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: bystarter problem

Post by mousewheels »

Is your scooter a Spree or SB50?
They have the bystarter positioned such that leaving off the plastic insulator between the carb/intake will allow a mounting bolt to distort the roundiness :D the brass air valve slides within. That binds it up causing an issue.

Used carbs sometimes have this issue too.

Will add a photo tonight...
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Here is a pic showing how bolt length on the bystarter side is critical. Assembly without the plastic insulator or accidental swapped carb bolts has killed more than one carb.

This photo is also posted in a related thread today. The nut is a fix for stripped thread. For your thread, there is just a hint of the bolt showing past the nut. The bolt must never contact the carb body to the right.
Spree_Carb.jpg
Spree_Carb.jpg (72.36 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
pod4444
Goped
Goped

Post by pod4444 »

yep that was the problem on one of the carbs i was using.why would it run good with the bystarter out but when i put it in it bogs really bad? seems to be way to rich with the bystarter in.
87hondaelite50
BMX
BMX

Post by 87hondaelite50 »

im having the same problem with my 87 elite 50 and also have a stripped bolt on my carb but doesn't effect the carb that much
87 Honda Elite 50 Saved from The Junk! YES!